PDA

View Full Version : Any Eloy fans out there?

lycialive
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
"Ocean" is my favorite Eloy release. I love the early stuff, but in 1977, it seems like they really started fine tuning their stuff.

Rael
12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Great band and sad that they couldn't make it to Nearfest. But it's good to know that Frank Bornemann is doing better and has been out on the road. Anyway, my personal favorites come before "Ocean": namely "Inside" and "Floating". They are more raw and Krautrocking and probably not as appealing to many the way "Ocean" and "Silent Cries" are though.

lycialive
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I agree, especially about "Inside", and I also love their early stuff. I love Oceans because of the polish, and the creativity. I believe that their bass player Manfred migrated to Jane. Not completely sure, but I think he became Jane keyboardist.

PROGMONSTER
12-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Love their 1979-83 period. While there are some great tracks from passion and dawn. Oceans is the weakest one. Some of the verses are boring

Rarebird
12-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I agree, especially about "Inside", and I also love their early stuff. I love Oceans because of the polish, and the creativity. I believe that their bass player Manfred migrated to Jane. Not completely sure, but I think he became Jane keyboardist.
Manfred Wieczorke started on guitar, but switched to keyboards in Eloy already. Later he went to Jane.

I'm not that great on their early stuff and not a really big fan of their later stuff.

Progatron
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Inside and Floating are my two favourites as well. After those, I actually jump ahead to Colours and Planets for my next two favourites, but I like the majority of the 70s albums in between them well enough. I have a fairly big Eloy collection (I am missing four titles that I know of: the s/t debut, Codename Wildgeese. Tides Return Forever and the one that came out a couple of years ago) but I find I don't pull them off the shelf very often these days. But this thread has put me in the mood, so I'll toss a couple in the Listen Soon pile. :)

JIF
12-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I was listening to Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes last night on headphones, and I must say that's my fave Eloy disc; even love the bonus tracks on the remaster. I believe it's the best prog album of '79(either that or Danger Money). I also have Power And The Passion, Ocean, and Planets. I also love Ocean; don't listen to the other two much. Btw, what do people think of Time To Turn(the sequel to Planets)?

Prog_nosticator
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Yep, fan. Love 'em long time.

Jymbot
12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Silent Cries is clearly their best.

First track on side 2 is the dogg's.

Rarebird
12-03-2012, 07:07 AM
I was listening to Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes last night on headphones, and I must say that's my fave Eloy disc; even love the bonus tracks on the remaster. I believe it's the best prog album of '79(either that or Danger Money). I
It's the only Eloy I also own on vinyl, with a completely overblown dedication from Frank Bornemann.

CaffieneMan
12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I have "Ocean" and "Dawn", pretty good albums

ItalProgRules
12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I love 'em all up to around Colours

INSIDE, OCEAN and SILENT CRIES... are my top 3.

ItalProgRules
12-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Inside and Floating are my two favourites as well. After those, I actually jump ahead to Colours and Planets for my next two favourites, but I like the majority of the 70s albums in between them well enough. I have a fairly big Eloy collection (I am missing four titles that I know of: the s/t debut, Codename Wildgeese. Tides Return Forever and the one that came out a couple of years ago) but I find I don't pull them off the shelf very often these days. But this thread has put me in the mood, so I'll toss a couple in the Listen Soon pile. :)

Trust me, you don't need the Wildgeese thingy. It's not even a real ELOY album. Best avoided, IMO.

Sunhillow
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I was listening to Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes last night on headphones, and I must say that's my fave Eloy disc; even love the bonus tracks on the remaster. I believe it's the best prog album of '79(either that or Danger Money). I also have Power And The Passion, Ocean, and Planets. I also love Ocean; don't listen to the other two much. Btw, what do people think of Time To Turn(the sequel to Planets)?

I think Time To Turn is just a little bit weaker than Planets, but TTT has 'End Of An Odyssey', which is a classic in my book. But both albums should have been a double-album. I love the underestimated "Performance" and "Metromania" too, the latter one containing 'Follow The Light' as a golden-oldie.

I agree than "Ocean" is a tad boring in places, but the overall sphere makes up for it. Though I think "Ocean 2: The Answer" is a lot stronger. As a matter of fact, that one has more in common with "Planets/Time To Turn", music-wise.

ItalProgRules
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Vee are a partickle in zee oshun, alone und vizzout fear! (gotta love the Bornemann-isms! :))

Lino
12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=ItalProgRules;14259]Vee are a partickle in zee oshun, alone und vizzout fear! [QUOTE]

:lol Brilliant! I love me Bornemannisms!

And yes to the OP- Like most people with good taste, I prefer Inside and Floating. ;) But I find something to like in most of their albums really.

FredOCal
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
"Metromania" was one of the first prog albums I ever heard, back when I was listening to radio pop after I found it in the 99 cent bin at a cd shop around 1991. It really blew me away at the time and while I still have a soft spot for that one, I think my favorite might be "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes." I recently got "Floating" and have only spun it once and I have yet to hear "Inside," however, so that might change. I really enjoy "Time to Turn," but for some reason have never heard "Planets." That has to be high on my list.

jt59
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Does anyone else wish they had used a different lead singer? Something lacking for me.

dropforge
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Trust me, you don't need the Wildgeese thingy. It's not even a real ELOY album. Best avoided, IMO.

No, it's not a real Eloy album, because Frank's not on it. But Hannes Folberth, Klaus-Peter and the drummer are, and it's a cool soundtrack. If you enjoy the '80s film scores by Tangerine Dream and Goblin & Claudio Simonetti, Codename: Wildgeese is pretty cool.

Progatron
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
If you enjoy the '80s film scores by Tangerine Dream and Goblin & Claudio Simonetti, Codename: Wildgeese is pretty cool.

Actually, I do rather enjoy some of that stuff. Perhaps I would like it!

Progbear
12-04-2012, 01:21 AM
My faves are Inside, Floating, Dawn, Colours and Planets. I find Ocean pretty good but that last track takes forever to get started. Silent Cries overall is way too PF-derivative, though again it has its moments. Dawn is, for me, the definitive album of the Schmidtchen/Rosenthal period of the band.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Loveliness”-Solar Plexus/Concerto Grosso

Yaman Aksu
12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I think the Eloy albums I've listened to (more than once) are:
Inside, Floating, Performance, Colours, Metromania, Destination
Maybe I'm missing 1-2 others.

Among these, Colours is my favorite -- check out the track "Illuminations" -- great track, has a great ending segment too (last 1-2 minutes).

notallwhowander
12-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I think I own 6 discs, most early in their run (Inside through Ocean, plus Silent Cries...). I was just revisiting Ocean when this thread cropped up. IMO, the album sits neatly between Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and Rush's Hemispheres. The only flaw is that the singer tries to fit too many syllables into a line, and it sounds really clunky. The music is great, though.

Like many on this thread, I've gotten the most mileage out of Inside and Floating which are great Krautrock albums. For whatever reason, Dawn has never clicked for me. I'm not writing it off or anything. I don't think I've ever rightly been in the mood for it, and it is a whole lot of what it is.

The next one I plan to get is whatever one "Mysterious Monolith" is on. I remember quite enjoying that tune.

mogrooves
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
"Ocean" is my favorite Eloy release.

Mine as well, but Floating and Inside are worthies, too....

Joe F.
12-08-2012, 12:30 AM
The next one I plan to get is whatever one "Mysterious Monolith" is on. I remember quite enjoying that tune.

That would be "Planets". I would suggest picking up "Colours" before that.