PDA

View Full Version : The Genius Of XTC

JIF
11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
I seem to recall a discussion about these guys on the old Prog Ears, but didn't see a thread on here. So, I decided to start one. I visited a used cd shop called Second Spin yesterday and decided to buy some used cds. I had heard many people rave about XTC. A couple of VH1 shows(The List and 100 Greatest Albums) raved about Skylarking. So, I decided to pull the trigger and get some used XTC cds for about $6 each. I got English Settlement from 1982. I got this one cause it's a double album, it was produced by Hugh Padgham, and I love Senses Working Overtime. I am in the middle of listening to this, and it seems like the '80s version of The White Album(i.e it has every type of pop music you can imagine). I also got Skylarking for the reasons stated above and cause I love Dear God. Haven't gotten a chance to dig into this one yet. Finally, I got Oranges And Lemons, because I love The Mayor Of Simpletown and the album cover itself(haven't listened the cd yet, either). I remember seeing the cover in a music book and remembering that it looked like the cover of an album from the summer of '67. I also remember seeing Skylarking and Oranges And Lemons in a book I have called All Time Top 1000 Albums(can't remember if English Settlement is in there). How is XTC rated around these parts? What do people think of my XTC selections? What should I get by them next? I should mention that the cds I got aren't the remastered versions from '09 or so, but the original Geffen/Virgin ones. How do these sound to human ears(paging Jeff Carney)?

Sean
11-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I think you found a good batch to start with. As for what next... Listen to all you have and decide what appeals to you the most, the earlier guitar driven sound like on ES, or something a bit more polished like on the other two you got. You could go in either direction, there's more of each angle available.

trurl
11-27-2012, 11:05 PM
My personal favorite is Drums And Wires. Big Express is cool too- much heavier production; I think Tears For Fears was getting to them *lol* All the early albums are great imo.

EDIT- Oh, Forgot Black Sea- I think those are my top three.

progeezer
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
I love this band and have 12 albums. Oranges is my favorite, followed by Skylarking. Buy 'em all, Jordan!:)

Burble
11-28-2012, 12:43 AM
For my money, that's the heart of the XTC works right there. Trurl's choices from the Drums&Wires / Black Sea era are also great, but there's sort of a tipping point of taste - if you like that era, there's one treasure trove going one direction, and if you like the English Settlement-forward era, there's another trove. My taste being toward the later stuff, I say if you like Settlement and Oranges & Lemons, be sure and catch Nonsuch and AppleVenus. That was one terrific run of albums.

JIF
11-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I think you found a good batch to start with. As for what next... Listen to all you have and decide what appeals to you the most, the earlier guitar driven sound like on ES, or something a bit more polished like on the other two you got. You could go in either direction, there's more of each angle available.Thanks, Fearless Leader. I have listened to the three cds I got by them, and I like English Settlement the best. I guess cause it's so....um...English. ;) I might just get Murmur and Black Sea, then stop there.

JIF
11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
I love this band and have 12 albums. Oranges is my favorite, followed by Skylarking. Buy 'em all, Jordan!:)I'll buy whatever is at Second Spin; haven't been let down by a purchase from there yet.

Sunlight Caller
11-28-2012, 02:13 AM
You really cannot go that wrong with anything by them, but you have picked up three classics already. Personally I love Nonsuch and Apple Venus (1) the most, and play the earlier run of albums less so, but that's just my taste. The singles collection Fossil Fuel Is a good way to get all of the hits and B-sides in one easy place too, so if going cheap in your sure, pick up a copy.

If you like your 60's sounds, be sure to check out The Dukes Of Stratosphere, which is XTC under an assumed name, and in pastiche mode, but rather brilliant it is too.

Trane
11-28-2012, 05:15 AM
My personal favorite is Drums And Wires.

That's the one that made me aware of them back then, but to be honest I never got into them...
They never really made much airwaves after their Making Plans For Nigel single in Canada

I guess I'll revisit them someday soon

sonic
11-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Drums And Wires is a must. I can't say I like the direction they took after that, except for the psych stuff they made as The Dukes of Stratosphere, which is awesome.

strawberrybrick
11-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Black Sea is my fav, probably followed by Skylarking, but they really are a special band, though I'll through this out there - Partridge's warble wears a little thin for me at times.

I dig the first album too, always wondered what the band would have evolved into if Barry Andrews stayed. Well, we got the League of Gentlemen anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RApvaQ0uGTw

JAMOOL
11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I also really like White Music and consider it one of their best. Though I realize most won't feel the same way...

Either way, XTC are really a treasure and have always been a band I would recommend to nearly anyone. Skylarking's my favorite but English Settlement, Black Sea, the Dukes album (do not sleep on this one), and Apple Venus are all excellent. IMO they never really made a bad album though I guess Go2 is kind of dire; even Mummer is good if you get the one with bonus tracks!

3LockBox
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Although I'd heard XTC on the radio and early music video TV shows like Night Tracks (I loved Waiting For Nigel), my first was Skylarking, because of the song Dear God. It was way more laid back than I'd expected, but grew on me eventually. Its hard for me not to listen to the whole thing once a song comes up in rotation. Its my fave along with Oranges And Lemons and I've purchased everything that came afterwards. I've tried to get into the early '80s albums but they just don't stick with me for some reason. I wasn't terribly enamored with their Dukes of Stratosphere but you may enjoy their channeling of Sid Barrett styled acid pop.

If you like their Beatlesque aesthetics then by all means, get all the post-O&L albums. If you like their new wave flavours, get their late '70s albums. They haven't really made a bad album no matter what direction they've taken.

Joe F.
11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
even Mummer is good if you get the one with bonus tracks!

Even? ;)

This is one of my favorite albums by them: Human Alchemy, Great Fire, Deliver Us From the Elements, Me & the Wind.

I echo what most others are saying, though I never really warmed to Apple Venus or Wasp Star.

Jefferson James
11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Get 'em all -- this band truly progressed from their early quirky stuff thru their psychedelic period to their final maturation as an adult pop band on a par with Beatles IMHO.

As for what to get next, try Nonsuch or Apple Venus Volume 1.

Edited to add: Mummer is awesome and has one of my favorite XTC tracks of all time, "Ladybird". Sweetness!

JAMOOL
11-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm not really a fan of any of those songs, though I do love "Wonderland" and "Love on a Farmboy's Wages", which is really one of the most perfect songs ever written isn't it?

progeezer
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Credit where credit is due dept:

It was my friend above, Mr. Kompost, who really led me down the XTC/Dukes (Dukes IS A MUST, Jordan:)) path after my first taste other than "Simpleton" opened my eyes!

Thanks again, dude!

Sean
11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Mummer grew on me. It's a laid back gem in their catalog. I love the follow up, The Big Express, for more lively reasons. They seem a bit like a set to me.

JIF
11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Although I'd heard XTC on the radio and early music video TV shows like Night Tracks (I loved Waiting For Nigel), my first was Skylarking, because of the song Dear God. It was way more laid back than I'd expected, but grew on me eventually. Its hard for me not to listen to the whole thing once a song comes up in rotation. Its my fave along with Oranges And Lemons and I've purchased everything that came afterwards. I've tried to get into the early '80s albums but they just don't stick with me for some reason. I wasn't terribly enamored with their Dukes of Stratosphere but you may enjoy their channeling of Sid Barrett styled acid pop.

If you like their Beatlesque aesthetics then by all means, get all the post-O&L albums. If you like their new wave flavours, get their late '70s albums. They haven't really made a bad album no matter what direction they've taken.Don't you mean Making Plans For Nigel?

JIF
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not really a fan of any of those songs, though I do love "Wonderland" and "Love on a Farmboy's Wages", which is really one of the most perfect songs ever written isn't it?I love Wonderland, even though it sounds like a synth-pop track. First saw the vid on VH1 Classic; the vid is classy.

Wisdomview
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes, a genius band! One of my favorites.

3LockBox
11-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't you mean Making Plans For Nigel?

yep, that be it

be forewarned, don't try to digest this band's entire catalog at once. Those first three albums could be a tad unsettling to someone weaned on Skylarking or Oranges & Lemons. XTC's early sound in the late '70s sprang from the same ska-cum-new wave spring that watered bands like The Police and Madness. XTC's edge began to smooth out by the time they recorded Black Sea and they'd trend towards more a textured, pastoral sound through English Settlement, Mummer and The Big Express with each album a progression away from the angular new wave aesthetic of the first three albums. Of their pre-Skylarking albums, my faves are Mummer and Drums & Wires, two completely different albums released only 4 years apart. By the time Todd Rundgren came onboard for Skylarking, they were in full Beatle symph-pop mode. As much as its been reported that Partridge and Rundgren clashed during the production, Todd's fingerprints remained on this band through to the last album. Andy Partridge goes so far as to acknowledge that Skylarking is the bands first real cohesive album statement (in the liner notes of the CD reissue) thanks to Rundgren.

Sean
11-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Another vote for Drums & Wires here. It was my first and still my fave of that era.

strawberrybrick
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQbFPNbxenE

Sean
11-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Best Police tune the Police never wrote.

BrianG
11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
KerryKompost said
" try Nonsuch or Apple Venus Volume 1."

For me, these two albums are pure genius. Songs like The Green Man and especially Peter Pumpkinhead came at just the right time for me as I was opening the alternative musical world to my teenage son and daughter. Most of the earlier work is really fairly great but I could never listen through the Dukes record without needing a break.

No Pride
11-29-2012, 04:35 PM
One of the many things I discovered on PE is that XTC fans seem to be polarized between the early version of the band and the later version. I fall into the latter category and "Black Sea" is about as far back as I want to go. My favorite is Oranges and Lemons, with Nonsuch being a close second. After that, maybe Apple Venus Vol I. There's no XTC album that I love every single song on, but in turn, there's no XTC album that doesn't have at least a couple of gems. Production-wise, I think Nonsuch is the best; it's a tremendous sounding, stereo auditioning album for me! Perhaps their most consistent album too.

Enjoy, JIF! For me, they're at the top of the heap for pop-related music.

JAMOOL
11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
There's no argument for me, every era of XTC is gold :)

Sean
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Speaking of Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKu5L-XyZM

Jefferson James
11-29-2012, 05:18 PM
"I came up with the stupidest riff in the history of riffs and thought it was spot on.” -- Andy Partridge on "Your Gold Dress"

I'm with Ernie -- not much of a fan of the pre-Black Sea stuff but there are some gems in there for sure.

soundsweird
11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Big fan here; albums, singles, box sets, a book, unofficial CD & DVD titles.... One band I can safely say is in my all-time top ten, or maybe even top five.

Sunlight Caller
11-30-2012, 03:19 AM
KerryKompost said

For me, these two albums are pure genius. Songs like The Green Man and especially Peter Pumpkinhead came at just the right time for me.

So many wonderful songs in their catalogue, but these two are very possibly my favourites too.

scags
11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Loads of great stuff, but I prefer the earlier music. I hardly play anything after Black Sea.

Jefferson James
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I would think -- pretentiously -- anyone into XTC would thoroughly enjoy Mike Keneally's collaboration with Andy Partridge released earlier this year, the sublime "Wing Beat Fantastic". Think Keneally's "Wooden Smoke" mixed with XTC's "Apple Venus Volume 1" along with a dash of Worcester sauce and perhaps a splash of tabasco, baked to golden-brown perfection and served with a side of apple-cranberry slaw. Buy it here:

http://store.keneally.com/products/mike-keneally-wing-beat-fantastic

Sean
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Mmmm, tasty!

No Pride
11-30-2012, 02:36 PM
KerryKompost said

For me, these two albums are pure genius. Songs like The Green Man and especially Peter Pumpkinhead came at just the right time for me as I was opening the alternative musical world to my teenage son and daughter.
It always fascinates me how fans of a particular band can have such different tastes concerning that band's material. I'm not crazy about either of the above mentioned tunes; I wouldn't say I dislike them, but they're not among my favories on their respective albums. For me, the brightest gems on Apple Venus Vol I are "Knights in Shining Karma" and "Easter Theater" and the ones on Nonsuch are "Crocodile," "Humble Daisy," "That Wave" and "Books Are Burning." Of course, there's plenty of great songs on both of those albums; those are just my particular faves.

Jefferson James
11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
"Humble Daisy," "That Wave"

Two of my favorite songs of all time, space and dimensions. Great call, Ernie. Good God...."That Wave" especially takes me places, fantastic lyrics and one of the coolest, heaviest-ass grooves I've ever heard. I love that song -- truly genius!

yogibear
12-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I happen to prefer the early era just after the keyboardist left up until the time when andy quit touring and playing live. imo they have the energy and verve of punk rock with plenty of smartassed bits and twists musically to make it all interesting /cool . I don't think they have done a bad cd per se just that some are much more overall great. So the early punk with keys pop rock was ok for like 2 albums and then they got dave in on second guitar and their music became fuller more arranged or is that deranged. they did all the thing your supposed to do but andy had someproblems and they as a band became more of a studio home recording band. Imo they lost some edge and became more "beatleish" in their song writing . not a bad thing but like i said i prefer the energy of drums and wires over oranges .

JIF
12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I happen to prefer the early era just after the keyboardist left up until the time when andy quit touring and playing live. imo they have the energy and verve of punk rock with plenty of smartassed bits and twists musically to make it all interesting /cool . I don't think they have done a bad cd per se just that some are much more overall great. So the early punk with keys pop rock was ok for like 2 albums and then they got dave in on second guitar and their music became fuller more arranged or is that deranged. they did all the thing your supposed to do but andy had someproblems and they as a band became more of a studio home recording band. Imo they lost some edge and became more "beatleish" in their song writing . not a bad thing but like i said i prefer the energy of drums and wires over oranges .Is the XTC keyboardist that you're referring to Barry Andrews?

yogibear
12-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Is the XTC keyboardist that you're referring to Barry Andrews?i guess thats it the one from "white music" and then the huried "go too" or whatever. seems on drums and wires their song writing got better than the first two rekkids. it was good stuff its just for whateve rreason barry left and they opted to go with another gutar player

JAMOOL
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Anyone try to slog through the Fuzzy Warbles releases yet? I've heard the first two volumes and there are definitely some gems there, just wondering if the quality keeps up to volume eight. I will say that with those releases, the Song Stories book, and the Coat of Many Cupboards (and Transistor Blast) boxsets, they're awfully generous to their fans.

PiscesPraematurus
12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't listen to XTC very often anymore but I love them and think they never got anywhere near the credit and fame they deserved.

I'm more of a latter-day fan. The first three don't do much for me. If I had to rank the albums, I'd say:

Nonsuch
Skylarking
Apple Venus Vol. 1
English Settlement
Oranges & Lemons
Mummer
The Big Express

Nothing else really catches my fancy but, wow, those seven are good albums. Colin Moulding is a fine bass player. The first Dukes album is great, also.

Sean
12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I heard Vanishing Girl when I was at lunch today. I about tripped...

Lieto
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I LOVE this band, they are a recent discovery for me and are one of the best I've ever found. I am also more partial to the later stuff, but I love all of their work. Brilliant band. In my eyes, they are better than the Beatles, and I love them too!

Hard to pci a favorite album, but its probably between Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons

soundsweird
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I have all 8 Fuzzy Warbles (I don't have the bonus disc that came with the box set later); they're all good though there's plenty of "filler" on each one.

JIF
12-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I LOVE this band, they are a recent discovery for me and are one of the best I've ever found. I am also more partial to the later stuff, but I love all of their work. Brilliant band. In my eyes, they are better than the Beatles, and I love them too!

Hard to pci a favorite album, but its probably between Skylarking and Oranges and LemonsBetter than The Beatles? How dare you!? ;)

spacefreak
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Oranges And Lemons is their best album i.m.o. and a wonerful amalgam of swinging London's pop, psychedelia and folk-rock. But the ace is their alias DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR, an excellent Beatles gone Barrett, through a Syn/Creation path. One of the greatest psych bands of the 80s...

Cinnamon Sea
12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Oranges and Lemons has blown me away since I first got it in 1989. I would say Drums and Wires would be next. Saw them live on this album tour when they opened for The Police and it kinda stuck with me every since. Nonsuch is amazing as well.

JIF
12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Oranges And Lemons is their best album i.m.o. and a wonerful amalgam of swinging London's pop, psychedelia and folk-rock. But the ace is their alias DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR, an excellent Beatles gone Barrett, through a Syn/Creation path. One of the greatest psych bands of the 80s...Syn? Like the group that Chris Squire?

Joe F.
12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Syn? Like the group that Chris Squire?

That's what he means, yes.

Dukes of Stratospher are XTC under aliases doing pure-blissful psych.

progeezer
12-07-2012, 02:18 AM
That's what he means, yes.

Dukes of Stratospher are XTC under aliases doing pure-blissful psych.Along with Oranges and Skylarking, the Dukes is one of my 3 favorite XTC albums.

spacefreak
12-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Syn? Like the group that Chris Squire?

Exactly...

No Pride
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Dukes of Stratospher are XTC under aliases doing pure-blissful psych.

Andy Partridge described it as the band they wanted to be when they were 12 years old. :)

I have the two Dukes albums compiled on one CD called "Chips From the Chocolate Fireball." To tell the truth, I don't care for about half of it. But I LOVE the other half! "The Vanishing Girl" is the best Hollies tune that they never did (and probably never heard of). As a sidebar to that, I think Collin Moulding's best writing was for The Dukes, which I find interesting. That tune definitely could've been a hit if it came out in the '60s! "Pale and Precious," Andy's Beach Boys pastiche is actually right up there with the best (real) Beach Boys tunes. Apparently, Dave Gregory chewed him out for sacrificing a perfectly great XTC song on "the altar of The Dukes of Stratosphear." "Mole From the Ministry" is sort of "Pink Floyd meets The Beatles" (with Andy sounding uncannily like John Lennon on the choruses) and "You're My Drug" sounds like The Byrds going through a flanger. The one tune that almost gives away The Dukes' true identity is "Little Lighthouse," which sounds more like XTC than anybody else.

As I said earlier, there's no XTC album that I like every song on and the DoS are no exception. But whether it's XTC or their alterego, The Dukes, the stuff I do like (or love, rather) is SO potent that it more than makes up for any material I would consider to be "filler."

3LockBox
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I have the two Dukes albums compiled on one CD called "Chips From the Chocolate Fireball." To tell the truth, I don't care for about half of it. But I LOVE the other half! "The Vanishing Girl" is the best Hollies tune that they never did (and probably never heard of). As a sidebar to that, I think Collin Moulding's best writing was for The Dukes, which I find interesting. That tune definitely could've been a hit if it came out in the '60s! "Pale and Precious," Andy's Beach Boys pastiche is actually right up there with the best (real) Beach Boys tunes.

That first half was called 25 0'clock and was more like Syd Barrett chasing a speedball with mescaline - not very good IMO. The second half was from the only proper album release, Psonic Psunspot, and was much better.

Joe F.
12-08-2012, 12:18 AM
That first half was called 25 0'clock and was more like Syd Barrett chasing a speedball with mescaline - not very good IMO. .

I prefer the EP to the album. "The Mole from the Ministry", "25 O'Clock" and "My Love Explodes" are fantastic songs.

Kavus Torabi
12-08-2012, 05:49 AM
XTC, are just so wonderful I won't denigrate their music by trying to clothe my feelings toward them in mere words and plaudits. I love Andy Partridge's music that much.

Also, though, I am unable to pass by any thread about them without sticking my head above the parapet and insisting everyone know just how much I love them.

For me EVERY era and every album is brilliant. Sure there are a couple of patchy tunes here and there a few bits of clumsy wordplay but right off the bat from White Music onwards they just had it going on.

Whatever kind of reductive genre 'it' might be is unimportant. If you are, as I believe Partridge is, an extraordinarily brilliant songwriter it doesn't matter whether you're working with just a synth and Linn drum (The Somnambulist) an acoustic guitar (Red Brick Dream) a full orchestra (Harvest Festival) a scratchy, itchy new wave sound or cod psychedelia etc etc. The brilliance of his melodies/ song construction etc just shine through.

Really, REALLY one of the best, most consistent bands there has ever been for me. For nigh on 25 years I have never had a phase of not listening to XTC....all the time.

Superfly
12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
XTC and my music collection go way back. Drums and Wires was my intro, and Black Sea is one of my all time favorite albums from the 80s. There's never been a time since then where xtc hasn't been in rotation in one form or another. In fact...if a person tells me they don't like xtc, then we have nothing more to discuss music-wise :p

I know Andy get's most of the glory, but without Colin And Dave, they'd have been just another blip on the radar. Great music that stands the test of time, what more can you ask for?

progeezer
12-08-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the positive comparisons of XTC to the Beatles are well-deserved. I'm pretty new to the band (a little over a year other than the "Simpleton" vid on 80s MTV, but I have 12 albums already). I remember the first time I heard Oranges in its entirety. I have thought since that moment that XTC were "The Beatles of the 80s".

No Pride
12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I think the positive comparisons of XTC to the Beatles are well-deserved.
Me too, Steve! Unfortunately, the big difference is that while The Beatles were the most popular pop rock band in history, XTC never really rose above "cult hero" status. Maybe it has something to do with a good portion of XTC's music not being quite as immediately accessible; it's more like "grower" pop that has to be heard a few times before it sinks in just how great the stuff is. And we all know how short people's attention spans can be.

Oranges and Lemons was my introduction to XTC too. I liked it immediately and the more I listened the more I was drawn in. That was right before "Nonsuch" came out and naturally I snatched it off the shelf as soon as it was released and loved it immediately. Those two are still my favorites, although there's so much great stuff on albums that came before and (the two that came) after.

yogibear
12-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Really, REALLY one of the best, most consistent bands there has ever been for me. wonderful sentiments thoughts et al.i agree with this statement

ThomasKDye
12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Maybe it has something to do with a good portion of XTC's music not being quite as immediately accessible; it's more like "grower" pop that has to be heard a few times before it sinks in just how great the stuff is. And we all know how short people's attention spans can be.

XTC is too damn smart; Andy was too clever and Colin was too drily cynical. Even if the average person were to have paid attention to them when they were on David Letterman singing "King for a Day," they might have thought... "Wait... is he talking about US? What the hell?"

"You're My Drug" sounds like The Byrds going through a flanger.

That's the OTHER thing that gives the Dukes away; there's no way in hell a record company in those days would have allowed that for a song lyric, let alone a title. "Cannabis in tea" from "What in the World???" would also have been frowned on heavily.

Kavus Torabi
12-09-2012, 03:10 PM
What in the world, acid is free, what in the world.

3RDegree_Robert
12-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I have the best of for the early stuff and have been meaning to inspect further but SKYLARKING is my hands down fav. 2nd I suppose is NONESUCH, then ORANGES & LEMONS, APPLE VENUS, ENGLISH SETTLEMENT, MURMUR, BIG EXPRESS....

JAMOOL
12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
I know this is going to sound weird but I prefer Partridge/Moulding to Lennon/McCartney. They really are that good!! (of course I don't expect much agreement here, but if there's one band that actually earned its Beatles comparison, it's this one)

Sean
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Read this on Andy's Twitter page today- "Steven Wilson is currently working on 5.1 surround mix of the NONSUCH album, hooray!" https://twitter.com/xtcfans

What do you all think about that?

Jefferson James
12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
What do you all think about that?

I'm not a 5.1 listener but the SW association can only help expose this incredible album to a whole new legion of listeners who will hopefully become XTC fans. Pretty cool!

JAMOOL
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Do people actually think Nonsuch needs remastering?

SMS
12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
No, it doesn't. It sounds great. Most XTC albums do.

But, Wilson is not remastering it. He is remixing it in 5.1 from the original multi-track tapes. Big difference.

No Pride
12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Do people actually think Nonsuch needs remastering?
If there's any XTC album that doesn't need to be remastered (or remixed), it's Nonsuch. Besides being an album of great music, it's a great SOUNDING album; one of about 5 albums that I'd use to audition stereo systems.

It'd be interesting to hear it in 5.1, but personally, I just have an old school stereo with two speakers.

progeezer
12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm so low-tech I listen at home on a Bose Wave, and my car system blows that away. I've never been even remotely close to being an audiophile.

JIF
12-13-2012, 01:02 AM
If there's any XTC album that doesn't need to be remastered (or remixed), it's Nonsuch. Besides being an album of great music, it's a great SOUNDING album; one of about 5 albums that I'd use to audition stereo systems.

It'd be interesting to hear it in 5.1, but personally, I just have an old school stereo with two speakers.The XTC cds that I bought are the original(non-remastered) versions, and they sound just fine.

yogibear
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
It'd be interesting to hear it in 5.1, but personally, I just have an old school stereo with two speakers.yep i agree i only have two ears and not 5.1 ears. ;)

SMS
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
yep i agree i only have two ears and not 5.1 ears. ;)

But, your two ears can tell the direction a sound is coming from. That is why "stereo" is more interesting than mono. 5.1 just adds another dimension. Give it a try if you get a chance. You might like it!

Superfly
12-15-2012, 09:21 AM
But, your two ears can tell the direction a sound is coming from. That is why "stereo" is more interesting than mono.

Not always. The mono mix of The Associations album Birthday is a revelation to the ears, believe it or not, mono can actually make some albums have more depth in the sound field, not less.

JIF
12-16-2012, 05:56 AM
I know most people here think Wikipedia is full of shit, but they say that English Settlement arguably XTC's defining moment; a significant milestone of the band's abilities as musicians and songwriters. I didn't quote this, because I might have gotten some of the words wrong.

No Pride
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I know most people here think Wikipedia is full of shit, but they say that English Settlement arguably XTC's defining moment; a significant milestone of the band's abilities as musicians and songwriters. I didn't quote this, because I might have gotten some of the words wrong.
I do think that they were really starting to find themselves on that album, but they felt it wasn't completed. I don't remember the story, but I think they had planned on doing overdubs and further things to it production-wise that never came to pass and they felt that the end result was a bit stark. I dig a lot of stuff on that album, but I don't personally consider it to be their defining moment. For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.

progeezer
12-16-2012, 03:28 PM
For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.For him and at least one other person, that would be true.

yogibear
12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
their defining momemnt to me was "skylarking" since it melded the best of the new wavey xtc with the later period beatlesque xtc. for me skylarking was their most best loved release but my fave will always be drums and wires and black sea.

JIF
12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
their defining momemnt to me was "skylarking" since it melded the best of the new wavey xtc with the later period beatlesque xtc. for me skylarking was their most best loved release but my fave will always be drums and wires and black sea.I don't don't get that last part. You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites. Sounds like a contradiction. Oh, you mean that Skylarking was there most popular? I'll bet money that Todd Rungren had a lot to do with that.

spacefreak
12-18-2012, 02:52 AM
For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.

Yes!

yogibear
12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't don't get that last part. You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites. Sounds like a contradiction. Oh, you mean that Skylarking was there most popular? I'll bet money that Todd Rungren had a lot to do with that.yeah it had their biggest hit and sold well.

bill g
12-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Funny I work at Chase Bank by day, and on our Chase Muzak system, 2 regulars are 'Making Plans For Nigel' and 'Generals and Majors' (as well as a ton of other great music). I'll say something like, 'We're the only bank to give you XTC', which is generally rewarded with blank looks.

I can't pick a favorite XTC album personally. Like them all. Some favorite songs: 'Easter Theatre', 'King For A Day', 'Bungalow', 'Rook', 'Mermaid Smiled', 'Blame The Weather', and 'Good Things', among others.

progeezer
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
^^^^^

Without "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" there would be no "King For A Day", so many thanks Tears For Fears, since your already killer song was made even better by XTC imo with "King":).

yogibear
12-20-2012, 07:42 PM
You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites. beloved by fans critics etal of which i was not one that agreed to that title well amongst the sites and mags i've read over the years..

Brian Griffin
12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
beloved by fans critics etal of which i was not one that agreed to that title well amongst the sites and mags i've read over the years..

Wow

BG

JIF
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Many fans on here of White Music? Saw that at Second Spin, and that just might be my next XTC purchase.

scags
02-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm a fan of the first two.. Barry A is great.

JAMOOL
02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Don't like Go2 much but I think White Music is seriously underrated, it's such an energetic, goofy rock album. I love their take on "Watchtower"!

Lieto
02-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I got The Big Express recently, Great album! Lots of great tunes (I Remember The Sun, Train Running Low on Soul Coal, All You Pretty Girls, and You're The Wish You Are I Had being stellar standouts). I just love this band, I know have everything from English Settlement onward (except Wasp Star), and Fossil Fuel. They are true genius. Some of the most invigorating songwriting I've ever heard. I could go on, but...

jkelman
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
You really cannot go that wrong with anything by them, but you have picked up three classics already. Personally I love Nonsuch and Apple Venus (1) the most, and play the earlier run of albums less so, but that's just my taste. The singles collection Fossil Fuel Is a good way to get all of the hits and B-sides in one easy place too, so if going cheap in your sure, pick up a copy.

If you like your 60's sounds, be sure to check out The Dukes Of Stratosphere, which is XTC under an assumed name, and in pastiche mode, but rather brilliant it is too.
You might want to check out AP's Fuzzy Warbles series also (I've got the box), which are demos that are incredibly well-constructed and, in many cases, near-perfect already. Some very silly stuff, some very heavy stuff.

For me, XTC begins with English Settlement and goes up from there; first two records a little too new wavey for me.

progeezer
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Funny I work at Chase Bank by day, and on our Chase Muzak system, 2 regulars are 'Making Plans For Nigel' and 'Generals and Majors' (as well as a ton of other great music). I'll say something like, 'We're the only bank to give you XTC', which is generally rewarded with blank looks.

I can't pick a favorite XTC album personally. Like them all. Some favorite songs: 'Easter Theatre', 'King For A Day', 'Bungalow', 'Rook', 'Mermaid Smiled', 'Blame The Weather', and 'Good Things', among others.:lol I know the look, Bill! "King For A Day" imo is the father of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears FF

JIF
02-28-2013, 10:46 PM
:lol I know the look, Bill! "King For A Day" imo is the father of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears FFWouldn't it be the other way around, since the Tears For Fears song came first?

progeezer
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Wouldn't it be the other way around, since the Tears For Fears song came first?You have just witnessed a textbook example of the correlation between old people and short term memory loss.

See post #83.:oops

ThomasKDye
03-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I got The Big Express recently, Great album! Lots of great tunes (I Remember The Sun, Train Running Low on Soul Coal, All You Pretty Girls, and You're The Wish You Are I Had being stellar standouts.

"The Big Express" is a way, way underrated album. Sure, it's kind of loud and big-sounding, but the songs are all excellent and very catchy. I'll also put in votes for "I Bought Myself a Liarbird" and "Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her." The CD has three extra songs, two of which are dandy ("Red Brick Dream" and "Washaway," the latter of which should have been on the album proper). All in all, it's my second favorite album after "Skylarking".

JIF
03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
You have just witnessed a textbook example of the correlation between old people and short term memory loss.

See post #83.:oopsDon't worry, Geezer. Happens to me a lot, too, and I'm not that old.

mozo-pg
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I love the song Dear God but I recall it wasn't that popular on PE a few years back. I love both the message and the music.