PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring The Taste

cannygoodlike
11-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I have a bit of an odd relationship with Gentle Giant. I enjoy some of their stuff (e.g. In a Glass House is great) and yet some of their other highly rated albums leave me cold (e.g. Power and the Glory).

So they are neither a band that has clicked with me (thus inspiring me to buy up all of their albums in a short time) nor one that I have decided I just don't like and am not going to bother with further. Consequently, I have been picking their albums up very, very slowly over the last 10 years or more(!).

My latest purchase is Acquiring the Taste and I have to say that I am absolutely loving it. It's the first GG album that I have enjoyed the whole way through on first listen, and I have had it on constant repeat in the car this week to accompany my commute.

To be honest, it's a while since I last listened to the other albums that I have and I think I will now have to do something about that. Maybe my tastes have changed since I last listened to GG (probably about 2 years ago, in which time I have listened to quite a lot of new things). But I thought it would be interesting to ask fans how ATT is perceived in relation to the other albums. Is it just that this album is generally a bit more accessible? My main impression is that it is more melodic, and more is going on in the way of vocal harmonies than in other GG albums I have heard.

Given that this and In a Glass House are two GG albums I really like, are there any opinions as to what order I should (re)visit the other albums? I already have Octopus, Free Hand, Interview and Power and the Glory, but am happy to try others that I don't have. I feel like this is a band I ought to like more than I do and I just need to find a way to navigate their catalogue!

mogrooves
11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
You'll probably find that Three Friends is accessible in the way you describe...

TheH
11-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Based on the fact that you are only missing the debut and Three Friends from the classic albums, these would be the ones to recommend.

Personally it's the live one Playing the Fool that I would state as my favourite (as they are really cutting loose here)

JKL2000
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
What's supposed to be happening on the cover of Acquiring the Taste?

cannygoodlike
11-22-2012, 03:21 PM
I believe the front is supposed to make you think it is a tongue licking a bottom. Though when you turn the cover over - the picture wraps round onto the back cover - you see that the 'bottom' is really a peach.

lovecraft
11-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Great album, after Octopus probaby my favourite. Phil Shulman is the man!

zombywoof
11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
This is my favorite GG album ... I prefer it to the other albums and this is NOT a popular opinion, I've found.

polmico
11-22-2012, 06:08 PM
My fav, too. In fact one of my all time favorite albums.

Vic2012
11-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Acquiring The Taste has been my favorite GG album for many years. But nowadays it could be Octopus or In A Glass House. Well, those are my favorite GG albums. When I discovered them it was like finding lost treasure. Awesome, awsome band.

Progatron
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Love the album, and I believe it is most of the band members' favourite as well, from various interviews I've read. As much as I love (almost all of) their catalogue, I think Acquiring The Taste/Three Friends/Octopus was their peak period.

Vic2012
11-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I think Acquiring The Taste/Three Friends/Octopus was their peak period.

I think that too. I didn't even know about GG until maybe 1998. I love all the GG albums I have but that period, ATT to In A Glass House was their peak period.

cannygoodlike
11-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually I do quite like Octopus but I probably haven't given it the attention it deserves. That's the one i'll go back to next. Also it's sounding like I might like Three Friends, so maybe I'm going to end up agreeing with you about that run of albums.

bill g
11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
'The Moon is Down' is one of my favorite GG songs of all time. That instrumental section is absolutely .... what's the word? Charming? No not quite... Well I really love it anyway. Also really enjoy 'Pantagruel's Nativity', 'Edge of Twilight', and 'Wreck' is pretty cool too. The only weak song to me is 'Plain Truth' of course. A song I always skip.

no.nine
11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
The only weak song to me is 'Plain Truth' of course.

And ironically, it's the only song from the album which they ever performed live. If I'm not mistaken, it was a leftover from the period of the debut.

I don't necessarily think it's a weak song, but I've always felt it doesn't really fit in well. It shatters the album's mood.

Vic2012
11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
To each their own, but I absolutely love "Plain Truth." One of the best tracks on the album, imo. It's funky and groovy with odd meters and all. Killer.

zravkapt
11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
My fav GG as well. I prefer the Phil-era (not that Phil) to the post-Phil era. AtT is a very unique sounding album for an already unique sounding band.

mogrooves
11-23-2012, 11:06 AM
The only weak song to me is 'Plain Truth' of course. A song I always skip.

+1

No Pride
11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, you should probably get "Three Friends" next since it's the one that came after "Acquiring the Taste." I think they were a bit quirkier and more experimental during that period, though my favorite studio albums are still "The Power and the Glory" and "Free Hand."

ProgArtist
11-23-2012, 11:46 AM
AtT is sometimes my favorite, but usually that place is held by The Power and the Glory. Do give Three Friends a try since you don't have it and it comes right after AtT, but don't expect an AtT part 2. In some ways it's a lot more straight forward, but your friends would still think it's crazy. :D

ProgArtist
11-23-2012, 11:47 AM
'The Moon is Down' is one of my favorite GG songs of all time. That instrumental section is absolutely .... what's the word? Charming? No not quite... Well I really love it anyway. Also really enjoy 'Pantagruel's Nativity', 'Edge of Twilight', and 'Wreck' is pretty cool too. The only weak song to me is 'Plain Truth' of course. A song I always skip.

Yep. I skip it too, and have for so long that I hardly even think of it as part of the album.

Mister Triscuits
11-23-2012, 11:57 AM
And ironically, it's the only song from the album which they ever performed live.

Not exactly. The title track was incorporated into the "Octopus" medley, as part of Ray & Gary's guitar duet.

No Pride
11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Not exactly. The title track was incorporated into the "Octopus" medley, as part of Ray & Gary's guitar duet.
Beautiful version of it at that! I also love the guitar duet version of "Raconteur Troubadour" from that medley! I didn't even recognize it the first time I heard it.

no.nine
11-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Well, technically that's true. But I don't consider that to truly be a performance of the song. Even for such a short song, they don't even really play the whole thing. IMO, it's more of a cute little "did you spot that?" kind of thing. Outside of being quoted in that medley, it was never a proper part of any set.

cannygoodlike
12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
A small update: I now have Three Friends and am loving that too.

As with AtT, I got hold of the Repertoire release. Which version of which GG album to get is something of a minefield it seems, but the Repertoires (as far as I can tell) seem to get fairly consistent thumbs up. I have nothing to compare them against, but they sound pretty good to me. So, even though I have had Octopus for years, I have thrown caution to the wind and ordered the Repertoire version of that too.

As I type I am listening to The Power And the Glory and supping on a pint of beer (Bath Ales Barnsey). Both are going down very nicely.

No Pride
12-08-2012, 02:03 PM
As I type I am listening to The Power And the Glory and supping on a pint of beer (Bath Ales Barnsey). Both are going down very nicely.
Glad to hear that you're warming up to it! To me, it's one of the most brilliant albums that the entire genre of prog has to offer.

gregory
12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I concur on Plain Truth - too plain anyway) I can't say I'm fond of 'cats concert' part in Black Cat. Pentagruel's Nativity for me is the best song of the album.

Ten Thumbs
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
A minute of song AtT was also played as part of a keyboard solo spot in the early days, as can be found on Keyboard Concerto on disc 3 of Scraping The Barrell.

Zeuhlmate
12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
To me, it's one of the most brilliant albums that the entire genre of prog has to offer.
:up

Mr Rael
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I always though Missing Piece was the most accessible.

Scrotum Scissor
12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I've always been of the opinion that the very strength of GG was their exact ability to communicate tricky theory and technique in a most accessible and melodic manner. I could never understand how they would ever appear "inaccessible".

Musitron
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
IMHO The first GG and Octopus are good. And 3 or 4 other albums contain a couple of good cuts. That's it. But damn there were good live :p

mogrooves
12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
...3 or 4 other albums contain a couple of good cuts. That's it.

:huh

rottersclub
12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Oddly enough, this is the only one I didn't have back in the day. I eventually picked it up on CD about 20 years ago and like others here, I think I prefer it, 3 Friends and Octopus to the ones that followed.

3 Friends in particular evokes a lot of good memories, so it's very difficult for me to disassociate that from the music any more.

No Pride
12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
IMHO The first GG and Octopus are good. And 3 or 4 other albums contain a couple of good cuts. That's it.
That's just crazy talk!

ItalProgRules
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
What's supposed to be happening on the cover of Acquiring the Taste?

Hey, there are all kinds of different forms of lovemaking. Who are we to judge? ;)

But seriously, bad visual jokes NEVER work as cover art, not in the long run. See: RUSH, Signals.

Great, great album though. This and In a Glass House are my favorite GGs.

rottersclub
12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the thing that brings this album down are the truly pompous liner notes!

zombywoof
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the thing that brings this album down are the truly pompous liner notes!

I don't see anything wrong with Gentle Giant telling us they are good, because they can back it up in the recording. Acquiring the Taste defines prog.

Scrotum Scissor
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Gentle Giant telling us they are good, because they can back it up in the recording. Acquiring the Taste defines prog.
Overall, I think it's a rather uneven record. There are a handful of truly magnificent tracks there ("Pantagruel", "Edge", "Moon", "Cat"), but as with the debut, the hard rock stuff just doesn't quite work.

I'm still of the opinion that GG from Three Friends and up including Interview delivered the strongest string of coherent albums released by a progressive rock band - although I actually adore Henry Cow, Magma and 70s KCrimson more.

mogrooves
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
^^^^^ IMO, only "Plain Truth" keeps AtT from the "perfect" category, but I agree that Three Friends is their first fully-realized album...

rottersclub
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Acquiring the Taste defines prog.

I don't disagree, I just don't like anyone that feels it necessary to point out how fucking great they are. It immediately negates the proposition.

zombywoof
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't disagree, I just don't like anyone that feels it necessary to point out how fucking great they are. It immediately negates the proposition.

My old band director had a saying, "Its not bragging if you can back it up..."

zombywoof
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Overall, I think it's a rather uneven record. There are a handful of truly magnificent tracks there ("Pantagruel", "Edge", "Moon", "Cat"), but as with the debut, the hard rock stuff just doesn't quite work.

I'm still of the opinion that GG from Three Friends and up including Interview delivered the strongest string of coherent albums released by a progressive rock band - although I actually adore Henry Cow, Magma and 70s KCrimson more.

I don't believe in a 'Top 5', but if I did, Acquiring with be up there. And I love those other bands you mentioned, too.

polmico
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Then don't read them?

gregory
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Not their best, but good, experimental, but slightly trivial. With caution - how we're doing? You're doing well, of course...

DarthVander
12-12-2012, 07:09 AM
It's funny as Acquiring the Taste has always been my least favourite GG album (I've got them all up to Interview) - guess I just never really managed to acquire the taste for it. 'Pantagruel's Nativity' I love, but the rest while all musically very accomplished just leaves me cold. All the other albums I consider to be very strong and find it hard to pick a favourite, though I'm partial to the debut (while their sound wasn't fully formed yet I just love all the songs on it - though it's probably also that that one was my introduction to the band).

rottersclub
12-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Then don't read them?

Too late.

ItalProgRules
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Regarding the liner notes, to me, the notes on THREE FRIENDS are even more pompous.

polmico
12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm sure I've read both at some point. I don't recall a thing about them.

gregory
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
It's funny as Acquiring the Taste has always been my least favourite GG album (I've got them all up to Interview) - guess I just never really managed to acquire the taste for it.
It's no funny at least for me, quite understandable.

'Pantagruel's Nativity' I love, but the rest while all musically very accomplished just leaves me cold.
I love half of it - first two from side 1, and first two from side 2.

All the other albums I consider to be very strong and find it hard to pick a favourite, though I'm partial to the debut (while their sound wasn't fully formed yet I just love all the songs on it - though it's probably also that that one was my introduction to the band).
Maybe you will like Missing Piece, it's their last classic album. Lighter than other albums, but partly very strong.

Scrotum Scissor
12-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I just don't like anyone that feels it necessary to point out how fucking great they are. It immediately negates the proposition.
An interesting position which I can side with for several reasons, the immediate being that - IMHO, of course - too much is always being bragged about the "complexity" of GG's music, whilst very little is ever mentioned in regard to its overt idiosyncracy or even eccentricity. To many a listener, it appears as if GG represents the outer limit to their acceptance of "progression" - beyond that there's usually only Kobaļan or RIO weirdo stuff which goes much too far into mental and/or aesthetic oblivion.

East New York
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I prefer AtT over most of the other GG catalogue. Killer album; especially HSR and Wreck.

gregory
12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
IMHO, of course - too much is always being bragged about the "complexity" of GG's music, whilst very little is ever mentioned in regard to its overt idiosyncracy or even [I]eccentricity[/I
I agree about eccentricity. The GG concept looked like a game to play.

Vic2012
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I never understood all the hoopla over The Power & The Glory. Uh yeah, it's a damn fine album, but compared to the albums that came before, TP&TG wasn't anything special. I'd read nothing but gushing praise about that album for years, and years. Then I finally got it and it didn't knock me over like expected it to. I'd take ATT, Octopus, and Glass House over TP&TG every time. And I even like Freehand more than P&G.

zombywoof
12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I never understood all the hoopla over The Power & The Glory. Uh yeah, it's a damn fine album, but compared to the albums that came before, TP&TG wasn't anything special. I'd read nothing but gushing praise about that album for years, and years. Then I finally got it and it didn't knock me over like expected it to. I'd take ATT, Octopus, and Glass House over TP&TG every time. And I even like Freehand more than P&G.

Agreed, at least up until the part about Free Hand. Free Hand was a step too far in the AOR direction for my tastes.

mogrooves
12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
....compared to the albums that came before TP&TG wasn't anything special.

Even compared to their prior LPs, in what parallel universe is this album not "special"?

gregory
12-13-2012, 05:24 AM
I think that TP&TG was special: they started to incorporate funk element to their music, and it worked pretty well IMO. Besides, TP&TG is very tight, cohesive and melodic.

Scrotum Scissor
12-13-2012, 05:46 AM
I think that TP&TG was special: they started to incorporate funk element to their music, and it worked pretty well IMO. Besides, TP&TG is very tight, cohesive and melodic.

Back when I collected 70s progressive rock and tried having some of my musically scholared companions join in on the race, GG was one of very few "symphonic" groups they ever bothered to attend. Other than that, they seemed to "only" accept the more blatantly avant-garde stuff, or at least this was what they took seriously on a strictly musical level - as opposed to a purely artistic one. And the credo was always that one would have wanted to hear what GG were able to do if not too confined by the concept of the "song-form", i.e. if they tried their hand at larger scaled works or venture into the "chamber-rock" mould. And I always disagreed; GG were at their firmly best when constructing fine nets of interwoven melody and lightly counterpointed ostinato, rendering wholly new dimensions to that exact "song-form" from whose base they were initially inspired. Therefore, to these ears, TPatG and Free Hand were the greatest albums they ever did, with their most elaborate and quirky, yet still unpretentious "song" material.

Whenever I'm in for lineary, multi-intricate, large-scale 70s "rock" composition, there's Stormy Six, Zappa, Egg, HCow, Vortex, Magma, UZero, PdP, AZoyd and so on - doing things the ol' GG weren't into in the first place and arguably weren't supposed to be. And it's all damn good - all of it.

Zeuhlmate
12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
TP&TG is way more coherent stylewise than previous and has more ideas/details than Free hand - I love it.
I prefer Interview to Free hand.
But all albums up to and including Missing piece are great.

lovecraft
12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

The so-called funk element and that fucking ubiquitous clavinet is one of the reasons I listen to post Octopus material a lot less. Much of the material is good but the loss of Phil and the dominance of Dereks voice begins to kill it for me.

East New York
12-13-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm probably the only one here who likes Civilian, mmm? :lol

mozo-pg
12-13-2012, 09:46 PM

You'll always find another freak on the board. :D ;)

Progatron
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Actually, I really like it. It's just very different. Not what I reach for when I'm in a GG mood, but more so when I am in a 'well-crafted pop' mood. It's far superior to Giant For A Day, and I even prefer most of it to side one of The Missing Piece.

no.nine
12-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Nope. Civilian rocks!

East New York
12-13-2012, 10:19 PM
You'll always find another freak on the board. :D ;)

Actually, I really like it. It's just very different. Not what I reach for when I'm in a GG mood, but more so when I am in a 'well-crafted pop' mood. It's far superior to Giant For A Day, and I even prefer most of it to side one of The Missing Piece.

Nope. Civilian rocks!

::::sniffle, sob, *honnnnnk*:::: I...I LOVE you guys...

No Pride
12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
to these ears, TPatG and Free Hand were the greatest albums they ever did
To these ears as well. Hell, they had a lot of great stuff from AtT through TMP, but those two albums are where they hit their stride imo.

YeSFan Reese
12-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I think You should try 3 friends that is my favorite one with phil shulman on it. My absolute favorite GG albums are The Power and the Glory and Free Hand!

ItalProgRules
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Absolutely not. I'm a huge fan of CIVILIAN.

PeterG
12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
AtT has always been my fav GG album, light years ahead of everything else.

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
This album gave me the impression as THE album that REAL GG fans worshipped- This was after conferring with my friend who turned me on to Genesis and VDGG in 1972. I originally came to GG through the promotion of Columbia behind Octopus. Octopus remains my classic GG album because of its pastoral qualities and the R D Laing thing. To me, they were like Jethro Tull on mushrooms.

I later embraced In A Glass House but thought that peoples' love of that album came from the fact that it was import only. IAGH, Power and the Glory and Free Hand were my most played albums because that's when I got to see them four or five times live. These three albums rocked more than the first three and still carried the GG ethos quite well. I didn't listen with the same rapt enthusiasm to Interview and Missing Piece though they were well documented in Trouser Press magazine, etc. My only nostalgic leanings towards Giant For a Day was when I worked for a college radio station and got lots of promo materials- I remember boffing a beautiful DJ wearing a GFAD mask in a closet at a rather boisterous party....

Well, I digress. Acquiring the Taste should be in everyone's collection. Listen to Octopus, In a Glass House and Power and the Glory and enjoy the holiday!

mozo-pg
12-27-2012, 04:21 PM
IMHO The first GG and Octopus are good. And 3 or 4 other albums contain a couple of good cuts. That's it. But damn there were good live :p

I feel the same way about the Beatles, Meet the Beatles and Revolver are decent but there are only 3 or 4 albums that contain a couple of good cuts.

mozo-pg
12-27-2012, 04:23 PM
:p

Kcrimso
07-16-2023, 09:15 AM
Acquiring the Taste turns 52 today!

I wrote a review of the album:https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-gentle-giant-acquiring-the-taste-1971/

starless and bible black
07-16-2023, 10:19 AM
Acquiring the Taste turns 52 today!

I wrote a review of the album:https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-gentle-giant-acquiring-the-taste-1971/

I enjoyed reading your review of Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste LP. It's one of my favorite albums by the band (and IMHO, the start of a Great run of LP's by the band that would last through In'terview).

Kcrimso
07-16-2023, 12:58 PM
I enjoyed reading your review of Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste LP. It's one of my favorite albums by the band (and IMHO, the start of a Great run of LP's by the band that would last through In'terview).

Thanks! :)

tonewalk
07-17-2023, 04:03 PM
I headed off to read the review but got sidetracked and instead read, and really enjoyed, your review of Mike Oldfield's 'Crises'. I know it's not prog, but Moonlight Shadow is one of my all-time favourite songs.

Kcrimso
07-17-2023, 04:20 PM
I headed off to read the review but got sidetracked and instead read, and really enjoyed, your review of Mike Oldfield's 'Crises'. I know it's not prog, but Moonlight Shadow is one of my all-time favourite songs.

Thank you! I am very glad to hear that you liked the Crises review. :) Yes "Moonlight Shadow" is a pretty cool little song! I like it too! As you know as you just read my review. :D

Crises.. what crises... here is the review we are talking about if anyone else is interested: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-mike-oldfield-crises-1983/