PDA

View Full Version : Michael Dunford (Renaissance) RIP :(

mnprogger
11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.facebook.com/notes/renaissance/michael-dunford-of-renaissance-passes-away/431595216896389

I just saw this on Facebook, what a sad start to Thanksgiving Weekend. And Renaissance have a new album coming soon, which also makes this sting even more. I will never forget finally getting to see them June of 2010 in Chicago.

RIP :(

Michael Dunford of Renaissance Passes Away
by Renaissance on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 3:40pm ·
Michael Dunford, musical composer and guitarist of the progressive rock band Renaissance passed away on Tuesday, November 20, 2012. He had just returned home from the first leg of the band’s North American tour and suffered a massive Instantaneous Cerebral Hemorrhage while dining at his home in Surrey, England Monday night. He was rushed to hospital where doctors declared his condition irreversible and terminal. He passed away at 11:06 pm GMT, surrounded by his family without having regained consciousness.

The fairly reclusive and soft-spoken composer, a mainstay in the world of progressive rock, was born, raised and educated in Surrey. His first job was selling clothing in a local shop followed by a stint as an airside driver at Heathrow Airport which enabled him to form a “skiffle” group which lead to his first rock band called Nashville Teens in the early 1960s. Nashville Teens reached #6 on U.K. singles charts with their version of Tobacco Road. On leaving them, he formed several other bands including The Pentad and The Plebes. One night he went to see the original band Renaissance perform locally and ended up joining them in the early 1970s. The original band members were Jim McCarty, Louis Cennamo, John Hawken, Keith Relf and Jane Relf.

Dunford and vocalist Annie Haslam took over Renaissance’s reins in 1971 and soon had established the group as a world class recording and touring act, selling out venues like New York’s Carnegie Hall and The Royal Albert Hall in London. They would go on to release over a dozen albums before eventually parting ways in the mid-1980s. However, they would continue to write new material together and in 2001 reunited the band to record a new studio album, tour the following year, and release a live album. After another sabbatical, the refreshed line-up was introduced to the world and captured for posterity on Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and Other Stories Live 2011.

Earlier this fall, Dunford and the band completed recording their first new studio album in twelve years. Grandine il Vento was recorded at Studio X in Ridgewood NJ, USA. All the music on the new album except for one track was composed and arranged by Dunford and features him on acoustic guitars and backing vocals.

Michael Dunford is survived by his wife Clare, two sons William (13) and Oliver (10), and sister Judy Kendall. Services will be held at Woking Crematorium at a date to be announced.

For more information and materials contact:Howard Wuelfing at Howlin’ Wuelf Media, Inc. 215-428-9119, howlingwuelf@aol.com

Harbottle
11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Someone just posted on the Big Big train Facebook page that Michael Dunford has passed away.

BadWolf
11-21-2012, 05:10 PM
This from the Renaissance Facebook page:

"Michael Dunford, musical composer and guitarist of the progressive rock band Renaissance passed away on Tuesday, November 20, 2012. He had just returned home from the first leg of the band’s North American tour and suffered a massive Instantaneous Cerebral Haemorrhage while dining at his home in Surrey, England Monday night. He was rushed to hospital where doctors declared his condition irreversible and terminal. He passed away at 11:06 pm GMT, surrounded by his family without having regained consciousness."

Terrible. A vastly underrated talent in my opinion.

RIP and thanks for the music.

carollover
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm absolutely gutted to learn this. That sweet acoustic guitar has enriched my life immeasurably. I'm glad now I had the chance to see Renaissance in 2009 and 2011. The snippets of their new album also sound wonderful. He struck me as a kind, gentle, gifted man. I'm sure Annie is inconsolable. What terrible news.

Spiral
11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh my god.

I saw that thread title and thought "wow, I didn't even know he was sick." But if he wasn't and it was all out of nowhere... that's just awful.

What a shame. I'm missing the guy already.

trurl
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh my! :O This is awful news.

Progatron
11-21-2012, 05:24 PM
:( A sad day. R.I.P.

progeezer
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
I too am very saddened. His family is just devastated I'm sure. A lovely guitarist. What will happen to the well-received resurrected Renaissance now?

I loved them at Rosfest.

bill g
11-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Oh my goodness. I can't believe it. I had the pleasure of a meal and good conversation with the man many years ago. A really, really nice gentleman. Very tragic.

spellbound
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Very sad to hear this. Rest in peace, Michael.

roylayer
11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
This is terrible news. Renaissance has always been one of my very favorite bands. I am saddened for his family, friends, and thousands of fans around the world.

zombywoof
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm shocked. I, like many other PE members, had the honor of meeting him at NEARfest. I'm terribly sad at the news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends in Renaissance.

everythingtoexcess
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I got to talk with him a little at NEARfest. Absolutely the nicest guy imaginable, and a brilliant writer. R.I.P.

Harbottle
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I too am saddened and shocked by this.

I found out about Renaissance by accident in the 1990s, when I picked up a compilation of 'prog' tunes that featured a lot of non-Prog tunes by people like Skip Bifferty, Deep Purple and The Rattles. One track was Northern Lights by Renaissance, which I remembered from childhood...

I then picked up the 'Tales of 1001 Nights' volume 2 compilation and was absolutely hooked as soon as I heard 'Can You Hear me?', an absolutely magnificent track that excited me as much as I'd been excited by discovering YES, Tull and others a few years before... I always adored that acoustic guitar sound.

RIP.

harbinger58
11-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Awful news. RIP Michael.

ProgArtist
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I am in shock about this. I was hoping to finally get to see Renaissance some time in the next year. Michael wrote and performed on some of my favorite songs of ALL TIME, so this is a serious blow to me. I'm trying to think of the passing of any other musician that has affected me like this. Rest in peace, Michael.

ProgArtist
11-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I too am saddened and shocked by this.

I found out about Renaissance by accident in the 1990s, when I picked up a compilation of 'prog' tunes that featured a lot of non-Prog tunes by people like Skip Bifferty, Deep Purple and The Rattles. One track was Northern Lights by Renaissance, which I remembered from childhood...

I then picked up the 'Tales of 1001 Nights' volume 2 compilation and was absolutely hooked as soon as I heard 'Can You Hear me?', an absolutely magnificent track that excited me as much as I'd been excited by discovering YES, Tull and others a few years before... I always adored that acoustic guitar sound.

RIP.

Same for me. Tales vol 2 was my introduction and I was immediately hooked by 'Can You Hear Me?" For me, Renaissance is a top tier band and deserves mention with the likes of Yes, Genesis, etc.

Fracktured
11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
WOW! No one saw this coming. Just saw them at the Keswick last month. Very sad indeed. RIP Michael. Thanks for the great music and memories of many great concerts throughout the years. You will be missed for sure by many people.

Rick

jviola95
11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I can't believe this. I'm really grateful that I got to see and meet him at NEARFest. He was a great musician and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Firth
11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
:(So incredibly sad that a musician can be so productive and yet then leave us. RIP Sir MIchael Dunford.

progman1975
11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
:(

Sean
11-21-2012, 06:38 PM
So terribly sorry to hear this news! I spoke with him briefly at NEARfest about his 12 string guitars and he was the nicest guy. Our thoughts are with his family and the band at this time.

Man In The Mountain
11-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Enormous loss. Brilliant music composer who is really under-appreciated for his stunning body of work.

Conti
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
This is the most horrible news. I'm really saddened by this. Thanks for the music, and rest in peace.

mpoll
11-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Tragic loss for music. R.I.P. Mr. Dunford.

zeprogmeister
11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Wow, shocking and sad.

Baribrotzer
11-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow. What a shame. I saw him numerous times in the Seventies, and also at the last Nearfest. I can only echo that he was a hell of a songwriter and, overshadowed as he was by his own band's virtuoso frontwoman, seriously underrated as a musician.

A general question: Dunford wrote the basic songs for Renaissance - the chords and melodies to the verses and choruses. Did he also write the elaborations: the extended intros and bridges and codas - the "proggy bits"? Or did John Tout and the whole band put those together? I asked Rave Tesar about that at NF, but the section I was asking about turned out to be a semi-obscure classical quote, and the question got side-tracked.

Arkangel3
11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
What can I possibly say...my heart is torn out. His kids are roughly the same ages as my two girls are; for me reading that is the toughest part (and having cancer kind of makes that fact hit home for me more than anything). When someone is ill, you know something is going to happen down the road. When they are taken from us in an accident, it is doubly tragic and unexpected. To simply be struck down while eating dinner is unfathomable. It truly boggles the mind. My sincerest condolences go out to his family, and Annie Haslam and the rest of the band he shaped and guided through all sorts of storms. I can only speak for the man's music...it was truly a soundtrack of my youth that provided further joy as I grew older. His compositions along with the poetry of Betty Thatcher-Newsinger's vivid words were the beauty of my youth and stayed in my heart until today. His playing was not flashy or overtly technical, nor was it simple strumming or playing wild leads; it added textures to the sound that became a part of the musical fabric that was the band Renaissance while still having incredible complexity amidst the soaring wall of beauty that was (and still is) Annie's singing.

To say he is irreplaceable is an understatement. We're all irreplaceable in different ways to those who know us. For the many who love the band Renaissance, he was the heart and soul and the primary writer of so much incredible music that will stand the test of time as some of the most beautiful written in its day. He was the right person at the right moment in a musical era gone by and just renewed...a renaissance in itself. He will be missed.

Joe F.
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
RIP.

Thanks for the music.

bill g
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you for that heartfelt post Arkangel. Well said.

ChrisXymphonia
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
[speechless] :O

bRETT
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
What an awful shocker. No great insight to add to the above, just really sorry to hear of it. I am sure that Michael's compositions are as dear to the hearts of everyone here as they are to me.

N_Singh
11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow. Very sad news.

TAK
11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Terrible news. Michael made such incredible music with Annie that will live on forever. I so wish Renaissance hadn't cancelled their Montreal date this fall. At least we could have paid tribute to him one last time. My sincere condolences to his family.

The Silent Man
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I am in shock about this. I was hoping to finally get to see Renaissance some time in the next year.

Ditto here. Huge fan, and they were one of my few remaining 'bucket list bands'. I was hoping the new line-up might at last make it to the UK on this current round of touring. Tragic, and truly shocking.

Sputnik
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012/11/michael-dunford-of-renaissance-passes.html

Appears to be accurate. Very sad. Glad I saw the band a couple of times with Michael recently. They seemed to be having fun, and so did the audience. RIP Michael.

Bill

Dana5140
11-21-2012, 07:34 PM
I scarce know what to even say.

ProgArtist
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
A general question: Dunford wrote the basic songs for Renaissance - the chords and melodies to the verses and choruses. Did he also write the elaborations: the extended intros and bridges and codas - the "proggy bits"? Or did John Tout and the whole band put those together? I asked Rave Tesar about that at NF, but the section I was asking about turned out to be a semi-obscure classical quote, and the question got side-tracked.

Not completely sure, but this might be a clue: The whole band is credited on the composition of "A Song For All Seasons" (the track), which I believe is because of the "proggy" intro. Perhaps if they were more involved in the composition on a more regular basis we'd see Tout and Sullivan's names more? Not sure, but I'd love to hear the answer as well!

yesrushdt
11-21-2012, 07:39 PM
So very shocking indeed to read this. It was only a month and a half ago when Michael posted the below video to his youtube page talking about the October tour. My heart goes out to his family, friends and band mates. He will be truly missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4LpkX3mXI8

80s were ok
11-21-2012, 07:54 PM
WOW! No one saw this coming. Just saw them at the Keswick last month. Very sad indeed. RIP Michael. Thanks for the great music and memories of many great concerts throughout the years. You will be missed for sure by many people.

Rickdamn, me too and I met him at the met and greet they did. This is just shocking, truely shocking. They were so damn good too that night.

boilk
11-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Wow, this is sad news. RIP Michael. His family, friends, band mates past and present, especially Annie Haslam, must be devastated. I feel fortunate to have seen Renaissance live, twice in recent years.

flatliner
11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
I am so saddened by this loss. At home cooking for Thanksgiving tomorrow. While cooking I decide to check this site...there at the top was this. I am in shock. I am 56 and have said many times in the past year, we have to support these groups as they may not be around many more years.....I include myself in this statement. I have tickets to their concert here in Atlanta in April of next year......But who cares......this is just terrible news. As I type this, I am listening to Renaissance.....The song playing is "I Think of You"....How apropo....I saw Renaissance back in the 70's twice.....Michael was a very special person, though I never met him.....I'm so sorry to read about this loss...I just don'ti know what to say.............But we are all in shock......So sorry to hear this.....

zombywoof
11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
So glad to see a new album is on its way. Michael lives on through his music.

ViolinCyndee
11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
SO SAD!! We just saw them a few weeks ago.. Doesn't seem real.. :(

OptiquesJeff
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Shocking and so sad! Like others, we just saw them last month at the Keswick. He wasn't my #1 fave guitarist, nor the most famous, but was one of my all time fave composers and one I will miss tremendously.

RIP Michael D.

jefftiger
11-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Incredibly sad news and such a tragic, sudden way to go. The samples from their new album sounded very promising. It will be bittersweet to listen to it when it's eventually released.

80s were ok
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
even the creepy guy at the Keswick Theater is shedding a tear...

JKL2000
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Very sad news. My heart goes out to his family and bandmates, especially fellow PE'er and Renaissance member Jason Hart.

Glad I got to finally see Renaissance at NEARfest - I guess my one and only time.

rapidfirerob
11-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Just horrible, horrible news. I'm crushed and torn apart. I've loved this band and its music for many years. I was lucky enough to see them once in the 80s. I just saw the DVD from 2011 two nights ago, including Michael and Annie talking before the show. Terrible. Two young children as well. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Such a great composer. At least we have a new album to listen to soon. I miss you so much Michael. Goodbye and thanks for all the great music.

wilcox660
11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I've had the pleasure of interviewing, talking to, & hanging out with Mickey on many occasions over the past 29+ years. When we talked over the phone a few months ago, our conversation turned to family and children. He was telling me how much his kids loved sports as they were fussing about in the background. He was a proud father & in a very happy stage of his life. We spoke of Betty Thatcher & of his excitement for the upcoming album. Our last conversation was on Oct 19, where we talked about seeing each other in 2013. I shall miss my friend deeply and dearly. There aren't enough tears in the world to express my sorrow. - John

undergroundrailroad
11-21-2012, 11:13 PM
The sublime "Ocean Gypsy" was his right? Terribly sad. RIP.

kenpierce
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I grew up on the Renaissance stuff but only first saw the reincarnated lineup in the live sense back in 2009. I took an aspiring singer friend and we said that first time that we would be sure to see them on tour going forward whenever they came to town. Our last time doing this was back in October at the Ethical Culture Center. He was an amazing composer for sure and this is a terrible loss for the band. I cannot imagine what Annie is feeling right now or the rest of the guys. My hope is that they choose to continue even without him after some healing time. RIP Michael.

proghutch
11-22-2012, 01:19 AM
so sad R.I.P.

UnephenStephen
11-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Terrible. A vastly underrated talent in my opinion.

RIP and thanks for the music.

definitely seemed more interested/satisifed in being the main songwriter than showing his chops as a guitarist - Tout got most of the glory. very selfless that way.

as a tribute, here's a clip i found on Youtube..

http://youtu.be/rfCCY3hs0Mk?t=4m37s

AncientChord
11-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Saw Renaissance several times in their heyday, and have kept up on their happenings since they recently reformed, which I was very pleased about. I was also excited to hear Annie and Michael say that their new, yet be be released album may be the best the band ever produced. In my terrible selfishness, I'm bummed that the reformed band never made it to the West Coast. To see Michael and Annie and the new band would have been sweet. And I have no doubts that the new album will be great, with Michael's brilliant, memorable and timeless writing. Also NO doubts he is in musical heaven, the rightful place for him, and hope he is resting in peace there. A HUGE loss for progressive rock. :(

Wah3
11-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Joined with the celestial choir. I'm glad I was able to see him once on the tour with Steve Hackett. Will be spinning some Renaissance on Thanksgiving in his memory.

Rael
11-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Terrible news. My heart goes out to his family, friends and band mates. I only got to see Renaissance one time-at Nearfest. I still haven't gotten around to watching the DVD from last year. I will be playing it tonight when everyone has left the house in his honor.

kid_runningfox
11-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Wow, very sad. RIP.

Supersonic Scientist
11-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Very sad to read about his passing. Not a good way to start our Thanksgiving Holiday. Might be a good cause for all of us to give extra thanks today knowing that one of our loved-ones could just as easily be gone. Be thankful at all times.

Very glad that I was able to see them 2x back in the '80's.

AndreProgrunner
11-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm extremely shocked and sadness to hear of the sudden passing of Mike.... Rest in peace

Ken Baird
11-22-2012, 08:56 AM
This is a shock and incredibly sad.

roddenberry
11-22-2012, 08:58 AM
So sad. A tremendous musician and such a lovely person. :( I met him in 2010 at the Hackett show in Montreal, he had this natural smile that was contagious. What a loss.

Robert

vacuumtube1954
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Very, very sad news and a hugh loss for the genre. Condolences to his family, close friends, and fans. A founding father and co-auther with poet Betty Thatcher. I am deeply sadden by the news.

BravadoNJ
11-22-2012, 10:27 AM
what a shock..... one minute your ok, then..... after a successful resurgence recently with tours, DVD's and a new album. such a big loss for Renaissance fans. my condolences to his family.

HealthyNational
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Fu k.

RIP

Rarebird
11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Sad news indeed. Renaissance was one of the groups I discovered when I was in school.

wilcox660
11-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Here is a link to the very last photo I shot of Mickey. Looks truly happy.

http://wilcox660.deviantart.com/art/Rave-Tesar-And-Michael-Dunford-339120096?ga_submit_new=10%253A1353603525

JKL2000
11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
^ Nice. I met Rave recently (at the Three Friends show in NYC) and he was awfully nice. So sad for these folks.

Reach
11-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I loved his work. Godspeed, and RIP.

Does anyone know his birthdate?

Big Ears
11-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I've never seen his birthdate or age published anywhere. All I've read is that he was born, raised and educated in Surrey, which doesn't narrow things down much.

How did Stephanie Adlington, the singer with MD's Renaissance, compare with Annie Haslam? Anyone know? According to the YT clip above, she does seem to sound similar.

Ribo
11-22-2012, 02:19 PM
This bit of news has knocked the wind out of me. I've been along for the entire Renaissance ride. So very sorry you had to get off before it was over, Michael. RIP.

gregory
11-22-2012, 05:13 PM
RIP

ajcmixer
11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Just heard it from a friend a couple of hours ago. Words will not be nearly adequate for what my thought process is going through right now, anybody that knows me knows how important Renaissance has been in the musical fabric of my life and little did I know that going to see them three times on the Novella tour last month would ultimately be so important in the grand scheme of life and death...:(. I'm just very very sad that one of the best songwriters-musicians of my generation has passed on so suddenly. And, apparently, assuming he was married once and a little late to the family stuff I'm also saddened to read that he left behind his wife and two sons, ages 13 and 10. Leaving behind young children like that really sucks. I'll be playing my Renaissance DVD's this weekend in honor of the man who helped bring so much happiness into my life with his hands, brain and heart.

Peace,
Alex

kenneth8446
11-22-2012, 06:48 PM
I have been truly touched by Michael Dunford's musical gift. My discovery of the music of Renaisaance as a teenager when Novella came out widened my musical horizons. My later love of classical music was rooted in my love of Renaissance's music. I was to see them last month in Montreal but the show was cancelled due to Annie's back condition, and alas the show will never be rescheduled. My condolences to Michael's family and Annie and other members of the band. I am grateful for all the pleasures that Renaissance has given me. I hope that Annie returns to the road to keep spreading the joys of the music, whether sooner or later, there is no wrong time to come back. Keeping the music alive is the best tribute to Michael's memory. Time to listen to the Captive Heart...

meimjustalawnmower
11-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Just got home from visiting family for the holiday, and it's the first thing I see when I log on. Very sad news. Condolences to his family.

On this day of giving thanks, I am certainly thankful for Mr. Dunford and the gifts he gave to us.

georob
11-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Cutting and pasting this from Steve Hoffman fourums. Sorry to be the one to bear these sad tidings on Thanksgiving eve.

Michael Dunford, musical composer and guitarist of the progressive rock band Renaissance passed away on Tuesday, November 20, 2012. He had just returned home from the first leg of the band’s North American tour and suffered a massive Instantaneous Cerebral Hemorrhage while dining at his home in Surrey, England Monday night. He was rushed to hospital where doctors declared his condition irreversible and terminal. He passed away at 11:06 pm GMT, surrounded by his family without having regained consciousness.

The fairly reclusive and soft-spoken composer, a mainstay in the world of progressive rock, was born, raised and educated in Surrey. His first job was selling clothing in a local shop followed by a stint as an airside driver at Heathrow Airport which enabled him to form a “skiffle” group which lead to his first rock band called Nashville Teens in the early 1960s. Nashville Teens reached #6 on U.K. singles charts with their version of Tobacco Road. On leaving them, he formed several other bands including The Pentad and The Plebes. One night he went to see the original band Renaissance perform locally and ended up joining them in the early 1970s. The original band members were Jim McCarty, Louis Cennamo, John Hawken, Keith Relf and Jane Relf.

Dunford and vocalist Annie Haslam took over Renaissance’s reins in 1971 and soon had established the group as a world class recording and touring act, selling out venues like New York’s Carnegie Hall and The Royal Albert Hall in London. They would go on to release over a dozen albums before eventually parting ways in the mid-1980s. However, they would continue to write new material together and in 2001 reunited the band to record a new studio album, tour the following year, and release a live album. After another sabbatical, the refreshed line-up was introduced to the world and captured for posterity on Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and Other Stories Live 2011.
Earlier this fall, Dunford and the band completed recording their first new studio album in twelve years. Grandine il Vento was recorded at Studio X in Ridgewood NJ, USA. All the music on the new album except for one track was composed and arranged by Dunford and features him on acoustic guitars and backing vocals.

Michael Dunford is survived by his wife Clare, two sons William (13) and Oliver (10), and sister Judy Kendall. Services will be held at Woking Crematorium at a date to be announced.

georob
11-22-2012, 09:09 PM
FYI - Looks like the obit I posted above (from a thread on the Hoffman forums) has been cut and pasted from (or is at least identical to the one on the) Renaissance website, www.renaissancetouring.com

Shadow
11-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I think two have already been started and moved to where they belong.

The Red Masque
11-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Just heard about this today. So sad.

The Red Masque
11-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I just heard about this today. So sad. RIP

Garden Dreamer
11-23-2012, 09:58 AM
R.I.P. Michael, thanks for the great music. Saw them back in the day and "Live at Carnegie Hall" has always been one of my desert island discs.

jim1961
11-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I am a HUGE Renaissance fan, this is catastrophic. I just dont know what else to say........

arise_shine
11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Wow, sad news. RIP. :(

Garyhead
11-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Did I just see on Wikipedia that Michael Dunford Of Renissance passed due to a Cerebral Hemhorrage?

flatliner
11-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Yes. Very sad. Another thread is on this forum...

The Letter M
11-24-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/676-Listen-to-Afterglow-RIP-Michael-Dunford?highlight=Michael+Dunford
http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/659-Michael-Dunford-(Renaissance)-RIP-(?highlight=Michael+Dunford

-Marc.

Sunlight Caller
11-24-2012, 03:40 AM
Oh just awful news, I grew up with Carnegie Hall as a mainstay in my teenage years, still love it completely. I never saw them live which is a huge regret now. RIP Michael, your music will live on.

Radiohost
11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't need an excuse to play Renaissance on Afterglow (http://soundscapes.us/afterglow) or Thought Radio (http://soundscapes.us/thoughtradio). But I did take the time to remember Dunford through his music on my most recent program (http://soundscapes.us/afterglow/playlists/2012/121122.html). Between Prog and EM, it seems like they're dropping like flies. I must be getting old.

CaffieneMan
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
RIP Michael, thanks for all the great music

rottersclub
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Very sad to learn this.

RIP

Progmatic
11-26-2012, 01:39 PM
RIP

Casey
11-28-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm reeling with this news. Renaissance was/is one of my favorite bands. I was ecstatic to finally see them perform September 2011. My thoughts go out to his family & to all those who, like me, mourn his death.

BravadoNJ
12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
after hearing of his passing i ordered the recent DVD from their last tour. it's awesome! even the new song was really something. does anyone know the track list of the new album? are the 3 songs from the 2010 EP included on the new album? i'm definitely gonna get the new album, but i don't wanna download the EP if it's gonna be included. any release date yet..... i guess it will be dedicated to Michael.

rapidfirerob
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Here is an interview with Annie. She says The Mystic and The Muse will be on the album, but not the other two from the EP. The album in English means "Hail the wind" which is so much more meaningful now I feel. http://www.69facesofrock.com/renasissance_interview.html
Release date is probably January or February of 2013, Annie says: http://www.dprp.net/wp/interviews/?page_id=3098