PDA

View Full Version : Best album per metal/hard rock band

PeterG
11-20-2012, 06:08 AM
The idea with this thread is for us to exchange knowledge & teach each other about newer hard rock/metal bands that we haven't yet heard but want to explore.

So what I want us to do is list what we think is the one best album by the hard rock/metal bands we are aware of.

Lets not get bogged down in discussions if 2 albums are listed for a band because that actually helps people who haven't heard that band before by giving them two good starting points to choose from.

Also lets not get stuck in a discussion about what constitutes hard rock/metal.

So for example, not knowing any more about Kiss than the big singles I asked a colleague this morning what he thought the best kiss albums are, and he said "Destroyer" and "Creator of the Universe" So now I have 2 Kiss albums to start out from.

Progger58
11-20-2012, 07:55 AM
=> BLACK MOUNTAIN - In the Future

Not only great musically, but also one of the best sounding Rock releases I know. Brilliant. :up

PeterG
11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Excellent, now that's exactly the kind of replies I want, 'cos I've never even heard of Black Mountain.

Edguy - Hellfire Club & Mandrake (too hard to put one above the other). German power metal at its very best.
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free. Also German power metal at its very best.

GuitarGeek
11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
So for example, not knowing any more about Kiss than the big singles I asked a colleague this morning what he though the best kiss albums are, and he said "Destroyer" and "Creator of the Universe" So now I have 2 Kiss albums to start out from.

There is no Kiss album called Creator Of The Universe.

And I still say the best Kiss albums were the first three, ie Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed To Kill. Dressed To Kill is just barely a half hour long, but it's the best 30 minutes.

Gruno
11-20-2012, 11:38 AM
"Destroyer" and "Creator of the Universe" So now I have 2 Kiss albums to start out from.

The actual title is Creatures Of The Night

Great album. If you seek it out, get this one:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/KISS%20-%20Misc/COTN_album_cover.jpg

..NOT this one:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/KISS%20-%20Misc/220px-COTN_album_cover_1985.jpg

The Silent Man
11-20-2012, 11:48 AM
OK, here's a few random ones, omitting the Sabbaths and Purples of this world:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride or Twin Peaks
Nazareth - Loud n Proud or Razamanaz
Status Quo - On The Level or Quo Live
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel or Call To Arms
Samson - Before The Storm
Grand Funk Railroad - Caught In The Act
Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
Queensryche - Empire
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Motorhead - Overkill
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend

PeterG
11-20-2012, 01:51 PM
There is no Kiss album called Creator Of The Universe.

And I still say the best Kiss albums were the first three, ie Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed To Kill. Dressed To Kill is just barely a half hour long, but it's the best 30 minutes.

Ok, thanks for the correction, I blame my own atrocious handwriting.

PeterG
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
OK, here's a few random ones, omitting the Sabbaths and Purples of this world:

Queensryche - Empire

Those I wanted to know, thanks, 'cos although I've heard the odd song, I wouldn't have a clue where to start to find a good album by therm. Cheers!

Rufus
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Your text asks for newer metal bands .
Go over to you tube n listen to Twin Atlantics `yes i was drunk`. Don`t let title put u off ¡

Rufus
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Re. Savatage ...wake of magellan is considered their masterpiece an i agree ¡

sonic
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Re. Savatage ...wake of magellan is considered their masterpiece an i agree ¡
Can't agree at all. They just weren't the same band after Criss Oliva died. The Savatage masterpieces are Gutter Ballet and Streets: A Rock Opera.

JKL2000
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok, since we're not really doing newer bands:

Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding (LOVE this album's proggy heaviness)

Progtopia
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Well, I'm doing newer bands. :)

I spoke to a band from London called The Mariana Hollow for my second podcast, and while they might be classified as prog metal, the prog influences aren't hit-you-over-the-head. Great female-fronted quintet who have two albums out to date, Coma Heart (2009) and Velvet Black Sky (2012). I've gotten to know a couple of the members well in the months since my show with them and am looking forward to watching their careers take off.

The single from VBS, "Your Halo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8Xrup5akw

yogibear
11-20-2012, 08:38 PM
sammus theory- see it through from 2007 , wonderful heavy rock not metal. very good tunes with a nice production.

PeterG
11-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Ok, clarification, focus on newer bands please. Lets not get stuck in a classic rock groove, we all know or should know the best albums by now. (Kiss just slipped under my radar for years)

PeterG
11-21-2012, 04:41 AM
The Mariana Hollow

Oh wow, man!!! Love that! right up my street! Thanks muchly, never heard of them, but will now definitely investigate further.

Progtopia
11-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Oh wow, man!!! Love that! right up my street! Thanks muchly, never heard of them, but will now definitely investigate further.

You're welcome. They've changed lead guitarists since VBS came out, but according to Richie and Scott (rhythm guitar and bass), the new guy has kept them in good hands for a new album, hopefully next year. If you want to listen to my podcast with them, go to the link in my sig. They were episode 002 (real early on!).

If it's okay to mention new bands that more firmly fall in the prog metal realm, I've got several more names that have been on my show that might be under most folks' radar: Hemina from Australia, Soul Secret from Italy (who even delve into a little fusion here and there), and The Omega Experiment from the US.

PeterG
11-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Your text asks for newer metal bands .
Go over to you tube n listen to Twin Atlantics `yes i was drunk`. Don`t let title put u off ¡

Are you winding me up?

Twin Atlantic are an emo-pop indie rock band. Here's a description I found "...the quartet specializes in stadium-sized, radio-ready emo-pop that dutifully walks the line between pained and majestic.."

But even knowing that I listened to it anyway but I'm still wondering why you linked it. It's an indie pop song. It's nowhere even remotely close to hard rock or metal. It's not even soft metal. They're an even more mediocre version of Coldplay. Who, apart from you, calls Twin Atlantic a metal band???

Blur is heavier than Twin Atlantic!

Rufus
11-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Can't agree at all. They just weren't the same band after Criss Oliva died. The Savatage masterpieces are Gutter Ballet and Streets: A Rock Opera.

Not according to polls by fans in associated web sites. Wake of Magellan usually gets 60%+ of votes!

Of course there all great albums but WOM is the bees knees!

Rufus
11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Are you winding me up?

Twin Atlantic are an emo-pop indie rock band. Here's a description I found "...the quartet specializes in stadium-sized, radio-ready emo-pop that dutifully walks the line between pained and majestic.."

But even knowing that I listened to it anyway but I'm still wondering why you linked it. It's an indie pop song. It's nowhere even remotely close to hard rock or metal. It's not even soft metal. They're an even more mediocre version of Coldplay. Who, apart from you, calls Twin Atlantic a metal band???

Blur is heavier than Twin Atlantic!

Dude, you need educating! That song was number 1 in the Kerrang metal chart for months & so was the album. For your education Kerrang is a weekly heavy metal mag! Your re:to Blur just about sums up your knowledge of the genre!!!

BravadoNJ
11-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Operation: Mind Crime- Queensryche

sonic
11-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Newer bands? OK. How about The Darkness? Everything they've done is good. The latest one sounds good too, but I don't own it yet.

PeterG
11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Newer bands? OK. How about The Darkness? Everything they've done is good. The latest one sounds good too, but I don't own it yet.

Brilliant, saw them live once!

PeterG
11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Operation: Mind Crime- Queensryche

I've heard a lot of people say that is their best one.

sonic
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Here's some '80s stuff:

Rock Godess - s/t
Plasmatics - Coup d'Etat (their only metal album)
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
Dokken - Tooth And Nail
Night Ranger - 7 Wishes
Triumph - Thunder Seven
Pretty Maids - Red, Hot and Heavy
U.D.O - Mean Machine
Great White - Once Bitten

'90s:

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Fates Warning - Parallels
Chroming Rose - Pressure
Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
Stratovarius - Dreamspace
Racer X - Technical Difficulties

yogibear
11-21-2012, 04:55 PM
the mariana hollow sounds cool but they have a gothic feel to their music and presentation which is not bad per se.they been called power metal, that clip has a real full sound to it also. sweet!

3LockBox
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Headspace - prog metal from this year:

http://www.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=mdjiqo3w5#/watch?v=eENROyIB88w

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to post vids from my phone, but there are some of this band's vids at YT and links to other similar bands.

Rufus
11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Agree with Headspace !

Progtopia
11-23-2012, 05:14 AM
the mariana hollow sounds cool but they have a gothic feel to their music and presentation which is not bad per se.they been called power metal, that clip has a real full sound to it also. sweet!

I asked each of them in my show to name one of their main influences, and here's what came up.

Lead guitarist: Opeth
Rhythm guitarist: Alice in Chains
Bassist: TesseracT
Drummer: Pantera
Singer: Human Waste Project

Mash that all together...maybe you get a little gothic. :)

PeterG
11-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Dude, you need educating! That song was number 1 in the Kerrang metal chart for months & so was the album. For your education Kerrang is a weekly heavy metal mag! Your re:to Blur just about sums up your knowledge of the genre!!!

Oh dear, a person that can't handle opinions!!

Anyway, none of that changes the fact that Twin Atlantic are an alternative rock band, which for the record is what they call themselves, so don't take my word for it!!! Nothing they play remotely resembles heavy metal or hard rock

The person who needs educating is you, if you think Twin Atlantic are a metal band. And when I started buying Kerrang in the 80s, it focused soley on hard rock and metal, the fact that it now also covers indie and emo pop bands doesn't turn indie bands into metal bands!!!

sonic
11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Some more recent chick metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjL5apEyiig

Klonk
11-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Fair to Midland. I can't recommend these guys enough. Great album oriented hard rock band from TX...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jXXFr3GP40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1C7j2i1Ts&feature=relmfu