PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney in Concert

progholio
11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Paul McCartney came through St Louis last night, the wife and i are life long Beatle fanatics and there was no way we were going to pass this up. this is the first time either of us had the chance to see a proper Beatle in concert (i got to see the Pete Best band a few years back, even got to do the meet'n'greet afterwards - seeing the poor guy sipping on Bud Lite provided by the bar was kind of a sad experience really but i digress...).
last night's show was simply amazing, Paul's band is a very finely tuned machine chugging on all cylinders, Sir Paul at 70 yrs can out-rock guys 1/3rd his age, voice in fine shape and able to go almost 3 full hours intermission-free.
the setlist had almost 40 songs, very nice mixture covering the whole spectrum of Paul's career.

fan-freakin'-tastic i say!

Rickenbacker
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Sure enough, my 1st time seeing Paul live (Flowers In the Dirt tour) was nothing short of magical for me. I was just yards away from a Beatle. (& my favorite one, at that)
As he did at your show, he was fantastic. Had the whole crowd in the palm of his hand. Funny, lively, & of course all that music. I'll never forget it.

Sean
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I saw him a few years ago and felt exactly the same way. Worth every cent, and you really did get a LOT of music for the money too!

Guitarplyrjvb
11-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I think his voice is suffering, but hell, the dude is 70! Haven't seen him since the tour that produced "Wings Over America". I think that's the first tour I saw utilizing lasers! Quite the aural and visual spectacle!

progholio
11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
I think his voice is suffering, but hell, the dude is 70!

i can tell you based on the show i saw last sunday his voice was pretty much right on the money (a very potent delivery on Helter Skelter and Live and Let Die among others), and i'm very critical of that sort of thing.

ronmac
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
i can tell you based on the show i saw last sunday his voice was pretty much right on the money (a very potent delivery on Helter Skelter and Live and Let Die among others), and i'm very critical of that sort of thing.

High volume usually helps mask the shortcomings. That being said, he ain't 25 anymore.

progholio
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
High volume usually helps mask the shortcomings. That being said, he ain't 25 anymore.

i don't entirely agree, i've seen way more Jethro Tull concerts than i care to admit and the volume did not help Ian whatsoever.
as they say, you can't polish a turd.

Wisdomview
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Saw him in 2011 at Yankee Stadium and he and his band killed. He was a youthful 69 y/o!

Yanks2014
11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Caught Paul in concert back in 1990 and 93. The 90 show was especially memorable, as I had 10th row seats right in the center, at Giants Stadium. Couldn't ask for better seats, and the show was phenominal. I thought the 93 tour was a better setlist, but the earlier show a better perfomance. Plus, there was the whole shock of seeing one of my favorite music icons, someone I never expected to see perform. I know some say he still sounds good, but the live clips I've seen from recent shows, his voice is really rough these days. For someone known for a clear, pretty tone, I'm not sure this is a good thing. For the rockers of his, his voice now would be fine, its the rest of the catalog I'm worried about. I guess I'm satisfied having seen him, and at 100% of his abilities. It's cool that he still tours and can attract huge crowds. I just don't have the interest at this point. Still spin his muisc though, solo, wings and Beatles of course. I had a recent reawakening to the "Ram" album the past year or two, kind of a forgotten classic for me.

Wisdomview
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
^Ram is a personal favorite of mine.

ronmac
11-13-2012, 04:27 PM
i don't entirely agree, i've seen way more Jethro Tull concerts than i care to admit and the volume did not help Ian whatsoever.
as they say, you can't polish a turd.

I've recorded plenty of shows that sounded worse with a second listen.

mogrooves
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I think his voice is suffering

Agreed. I caught him in '89 (or '90, I can't quite recall) and he sounded good, but the half-a-dozen times I've seen him on television over the last few years he's sounded increasingly decrepit....

Adm.Kirk
11-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Anybody got a set list? Curious to see what he's playing this time around. Is he still playing Let Me Roll It? He's done it every tour since 1976. Time for that one to be retired.

Bill

roylayer
11-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey Rich - Rhea and I were at the show too. I can't agree with you more... fantastic! So many different types of music were represented, and they were all done so well! Helter Skelter reminded me of something that Led Zeppelin could have done. Golden Slumber (and the following songs) really sounded prog-ish. Of course there were also the totally pop and totally rock numbers. What an amazing body of work he has.

roylayer
11-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Anybody got a set list? Curious to see what he's playing this time around. Is he still playing Let Me Roll It? He's done it every tour since 1976. Time for that one to be retired.

Bill

I agree. That was one of my least favorite songs of the show. Reviews and full set lists can be found here:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rftmusic/2012/11/paul_mccartney_review_photos_setlist.php
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/paul-mccartney-sets-scottrade-center-stage-afire/article_f49c2f05-f163-54b3-9edc-1f59778d5be4.html

OptiquesJeff
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Paul ROCKS.

ronmac
11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Helter Skelter reminded me of something that Led Zeppelin could have stolen.

Corrected for accuracy. :)

Yanks2014
11-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Bill

I'm not so sure about that, I don't believe he played that in 1990, at least at Giants Stadium. I recall being surprised to hear it on the 93 tour. He had played less Wings material on the 90 tour, I I was pleasantly surprised to hear Let Me Roll It the second show I saw. I happen to think its a great tune.

80s were ok
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
what the fuck - Paul is touring now?????

roylayer
11-14-2012, 01:36 AM
A very limited tour: 2 dates in the US followed by 3 dates in Canada

80s were ok
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Wow, that is limited. whew - i would've kicked myself real hard if I missed him in PA or NJ area.

progholio
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

me too!
i hold Ram in the same regard as a Beatles album (with Chaos and Creation being just a small notch below)

sadly he didn't cover anything from either of those two, that's ok, i'm still happy with what we got.

here's a question for the experts out there - Paul has been touring with the same band for well over 10 years, is this the most consistant lineup he's had?

ronmac
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
i hold Ram in the same regard as a Beatles album

I have been trying for 30 years to like Ram, but just don't care for much beyond "Too Many People" and "Uncle ALbert." Sure, it has a certain charm that some might find endearing, but I just don't think the material is very strong. Certainly, I would never put it up there with any Beatles album.

Adm.Kirk
11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not so sure about that, I don't believe he played that in 1990, at least at Giants Stadium. I recall being surprised to hear it on the 93 tour. He had played less Wings material on the 90 tour, I I was pleasantly surprised to hear Let Me Roll It the second show I saw. I happen to think its a great tune.

You are correct. I did a little digging and he did not play Let Me Roll It on that tour. I would have sworn he did. Every tour since 1990 is probably what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great song, just wish he would shake up the set list a bit. There are a couple of war horses that need a rest.

Bill

roylayer
11-16-2012, 12:46 AM
For those of you on Dimeadozen, this show has been uploaded there:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=428400

I haven't listened to it, so I don't know what the quality is like. The uploader has some mp3 samples on that web page.

Rickenbacker
11-16-2012, 07:27 AM

That's my favorite solo of his too. Just recently got the deluxe boxed set of it as a gift.

HealthyNational
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
37 song, 3+ hour Texas (14 Nov.) setlist:
Magical Mystery Tour, Junior's Farm, All My Loving, Jet, Got to Get You into My Life, Sing the Changes, The Night Before, Let Me Roll It, Paperback Writer, The Long and Winding Road, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, My Valentine, Maybe I'm Amazed, I'm Looking Through You, And I Love Her, Blackbird, Here Today, Dance Tonight, Mrs. Vandebilt, Eleanor Rigby, Something, Band on the Run, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Back in the U.S.S.R., I've Got a Feeling, A Day in the Life (w/ "Give Peace a Chance" snippet), Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, Day Tripper, Get Back, Yesterday, Helter Skelter, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End.

Yanks2014
11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I see Paul is speaking on behalf of PETA again, telling us not to eat turkey on Thursday. I do wish he's stop that, very annoying. He sings, I listen, he opens his trap for stuff like that and he loses me. He said something about having a "cruelty free" thanksgiving dinner. Didn't know I was guilty of cruelty just by my everyday diet. Ridiculous. He doesn't want to eat meat, that's his business, and he should leave it at that. I wish vegetarians and vegans didn't feel the need to recruit.

mozo-pg
11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
There is no artist I'd rather see than Paul. Everybody loves the Beatles. I tried getting tickets to a show in Montreal but they sold out in 2-5 minutes.

OptiquesJeff
11-20-2012, 06:32 PM
. Didn't know I was guilty of cruelty just by my everyday diet. Ridiculous. .

Your lack of knowledge, or outright denial of the facts that have been presented to you many times, does not make it any less real. Every time you buy and eat meat you support one of the most cruel, environmentally wasteful, and unhealthy/disease-causing industries on the planet.

I'm GLAD Paul won't stop spreading a message of compassion for our fellow creatures on this planet. SOME people will actually LISTEN and HEAR the message, will GET EDUCATED, and will STOP DENYING the damage (to the animals, to the earth and environment, and to themselves) that meat based diets cause.

OptiquesJeff
11-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I see Paul is speaking on behalf of PETA again, telling us not to eat turkey on Thursday. I do wish he's stop that, very annoying. He sings, I listen, he opens his trap for stuff like that and he loses me. He said something about having a "cruelty free" thanksgiving dinner. Didn't know I was guilty of cruelty just by my everyday diet. Ridiculous. He doesn't want to eat meat, that's his business, and he should leave it at that. I wish vegetarians and vegans didn't feel the need to recruit.

People lose you ANY time they say anything that conflicts with your impenetrable world views and personal (non-fact-based) beliefs. Your standard reply is usually something rediculous, like 'Ridiculous' or 'That's just not right,' or some such other exclamation with absolutely nothing but your personal opinion backing it up.

Keep in mind that opinions are NOT facts. Unfortunately that doesn't deter you and a lot of others from BELIEVING them to BE facts.

As to being annoying, well, I am sure the WELL DOCUMENTED cruelty inflicted on animals in industrial production facilities (CAFOs...Concentrated Animal Farming Operations) is WAYYYY more than annoying to them, not to mention the 'annoyance' of being murdered at the end of their short, miserable lives.

mozo-pg
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm hungry for a juicy steak right now! j/k

:rofl

ViolinCyndee
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Your lack of knowledge, or outright denial of the facts that have been presented to you many times, does not make it any less real. Every time you buy and eat meat you support one of the most cruel, environmentally wasteful, and unhealthy/disease-causing industries on the planet.

I'm GLAD Paul won't stop spreading a message of compassion for our fellow creatures on this planet. SOME people will actually LISTEN and HEAR the message, will GET EDUCATED, and will STOP DENYING the damage (to the animals, to the earth and environment, and to themselves) that meat based diets cause.

Totally agree with this! Time after time, there are more and more undercover videos released that expose the outright abuse towards animals on farms. They give them NO dignity or respect, but yell at them, kick them, throw them, stomp on them, etc.. (things that would put you in jail if the same things were done to a dog).

I am proud of Paul for speaking up for animals who cannot speak up for themselves.

ViolinCyndee
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Anyway... back on topic: Every time I have seen Paul perform, it's been a FANTASTIC show! LOVE HIM!

ajcmixer
11-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Glad the OP had a great time at the show. I saw him sometime at Giants Stadium in the early 90's and though I wouldn't consider myself a Beatles/Paul fan per se, I certainly love many of their songs and the show itself was one of the best stadium shows I've ever attended. I was totally across the stadium and virtually in the most upper reaches of the stadium and it was EASILY the best sound I''d ever heard at such a show/stadium until Floyd's Division Bell tour rolled through in '94. Those two shows remain to this day as the best sounding stadium shows I've attended.

And I just checked out the setlist for the OP's show and the only word that I can use is: KILLER! Wish I had been there.

Peace,
Alex

ronmac
11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Floyd's Division Bell tour rolled through in '94.

I saw that tour in Pittsburgh. The day of the show, they announced that some additional seats were available. So, I called a friend of mine and we decided to go. I worked downtown, only a few doors away from the local ticket retailer (32 bucks - the good old days, huh?). So, we get to the show (at Three Rivers Stadium) and our seats are right on the middle of the field. Perfect spot for the quad sound. Perfect distance from the stage. It was fantastic. (I actually ducked out of the final lamaze class for my first-born to see that show. Never needed the lamaze, anyway, so it was a win-win.)

mellotron storm
11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Someone said he's playing in Canada, does anyone have specifics ?

roylayer
11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
It looks like the only show left is Edmonton Nov. 29. http://www.paulmccartney.com/live/10578-on-the-run

mellotron storm
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
It looks like the only show left is Edmonton Nov. 29. http://www.paulmccartney.com/live/10578-on-the-run

Thanks !

3LockBox
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Salad is Murder

http://www.gardenseeker.com/plants/do_plants_have_feelings.htm

OptiquesJeff
11-29-2012, 06:08 PM
"this type of feeling is quite distinct from the emotions that we know as feelings."

"Not for one moment are we suggesting that plants have similar feelings to us humans"

Swing...and a MISS.

3LockBox
11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Swing...and a MISS.

You just wanna eat veggies with a clear conscience :p

:lol

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/08/plant_pain.html

Yanks2014
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Jeff, I think you are a good guy and have awesome musical taste, but I'm baffled at your extremism on the subject of diet and "cruelty' to animals. You actually consider it "immoral" to eat meat, yet its one of the mast natural things for humans and most animals to do. You likely equate animals and people as being the same. But if you really beleive that, shouldn't you be out stopping animals from eating other animals? I can't equate animals and people, animals are here for our use and consumption. And sometimes animals get on top of the food chain, with some species eating the ocassional person. Totally natural, both ways. Now I don't want to see real cruelty (Michael Vick), but I wont add human emotion to that of an animal. And I don't see how it can be breaking a moral code to simply eat a steak or roasted chicken. I'm sure you take issue even with fishing, because I'm being cruel to the trout or bass I'm lucky to catch. Never mind I'm providing food for myself. Nope, you probably compare it to murder. I see a distict difference between the animal and human species. Hell, at least humas are capable of more humane ways of killing an animal. Can't say that about the animal kingdom. But you oppose all methods of killing an animal for food. Your view is extreme, and well, downright crazy. And you push this as a religious cause, in fact veganism has become your relgion. I don't push my meat eating, I don't care what you consume, those like you want to push this dietary lifestyle on others, sort of spreading the word of veganism, as opposed to some kind of diety. A vegan evangelist, talking of the evils of eating meat, and how all of us carnivors are committing acts of cruel evil. I wont stand for it. You are judging others as cruel humans, even calling us ignorant. I know what goes on at a slaughterhouse, and I simply don't care, as long as they are not breaking any laws. Problem is, its not just illegal practices you take issue with. You oppose all slaughter, no matter what standards are put in place. And you want everyone else to follow your moral code. Sorry, I already have a religion, and its not diet based.

malterb
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I have seen him a few times in the past few years and the last show 2010 Wrigely Field was simply amazing. 3 Hour show, plenty of Beatles and Wings. At 69 I thought his voice was great, a lot of energy and of course he has a great band behind him.

ronmac
12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
You oppose all slaughter, no matter what standards are put in place.

Yeah, how dare he!!

mozo-pg
12-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Nothing like pulling a potentially very decent thread off course so you can get on your fucking pulpit.

OptiquesJeff
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
It is SO hard to respond to such a morass of non-facts and personal opinions masquerading as facts, but I will try, since I cannot let such nonsense go unanswered. Get an eduction before you start your yammering, PLEASE.

Jeff, I think you are a good guy and have awesome musical taste,

Thanks.

but I'm baffled at your extremism on the subject of diet and "cruelty' to animals.

And you will remain baffled until you realize that your opinions aren't facts and your belief-based world views become less impenetrable. It is "extreme" to AVOID the products of abuse and murder? More extreme than eating tortured, murdered creatures? More extreme than needing bypass surgery from disease cause by eating animal fats? (and those are just a FRACTION of the well-documented examples that exist) Sorry, but this is an OLD and TIRED response to veganism. CORPSE MUNCHING is WAY MORE EXTREME than ANYTHING a plant based diet could possibly entail. Just the fact that you are eating something that has been killed is more extreme.

You actually consider it "immoral" to eat meat,

True.

yet its one of the mast natural things for humans and most animals to do.

WRONG. NON-FACTUAL. PERSONAL OPINION. It is natural ONLY for OBLIGATE CARNIVORES, of which humans are NOT (FACTS: human digestive systems do NOT resemble carnivore systems at all and are almost identical to those of plant eating primates) and MANY animals are not carnivores.

You likely equate animals and people as being the same.

TRUE..we are all inhabitants of the same planet and ecosystem.

But if you really beleive that, shouldn't you be out stopping animals from eating other animals?

NO. Some animals are obligate carnivores.

I can't equate animals and people, animals are here for our use and consumption.

Meaning YOU WON'T, not 'can't.' And your statement regarding what animals are here for is nothing more than a PERSONAL BELIEF and the main source of your unwillingness to accept even the most basic of facts regarding this subject. Your mind is made up, and was closed up just after.

And sometimes animals get on top of the food chain, with some species eating the ocassional person. Totally natural, both ways.

WRONG, NOT FACT. See above.

Now I don't want to see real cruelty (Michael Vick), but I wont add human emotion to that of an animal.

Again meaning you WON'T, despite mounting SCIENTIFIC evidence (which was long preceded by the knowledge of those willing to look, learn, and accept) that many animals, especially those of higher order (birds, mammals...the ones you most use and consume) have varied and VERY emotion-filled lives (when they are ALLOWED TO, as opposed to being tortured and murdered for 'consumption.')

And I don't see how it can be breaking a moral code to simply eat a steak or roasted chicken.

And you never WILL see it, as long as your world views are so fixed and impenetrable and as long as you are virtually incapable of ever admitting that you might ever be wrong about anything.

I'm sure you take issue even with fishing, because I'm being cruel to the trout or bass I'm lucky to catch. Never mind I'm providing food for myself. Nope, you probably compare it to murder.

That's what it is....killing innocent creatures IS murder. You do NOT NEED to kill to survive healthily and happily. Or do you???

I see a distict difference between the animal and human species.

You should, because humans are capable of knowing the difference between right and wrong, moral and immoral, killing and compassion. Well, at least some humans are.

Hell, at least humas are capable of more humane ways of killing an animal.

'More humane ways of killing an animal.' That is an oxymoron if ever there was one. I guess 'moron' is part of that word for a reason.

Can't say that about the animal kingdom.

True, because it does not apply and means nothing in the context of your denials and misinformation. Animals are not WILLINGLY cruel or inhumane, while many humans ARE.

But you oppose all methods of killing an animal for food.

True. It is wasteful, cruel, unhealthy, and UNECESSARY.

Your view is extreme, and well, downright crazy.

As for extreme, see above. As for 'downright crazy,' that is just YET ANOTHER of your RIDICULOUS pronouncements based only on your personal beliefs and opinions. There is NOTHING crazy about showing compassion for our fellow creatures and not wanting to eat them after they have been giving totally unnatural, tortured, miserable lives and then being murdered. DOWNRIGHT CRAZY is CORPSE MUNCHING even while having full knowledge of the harm being caused in MANY ways (well documented facts which you routinely just dismiss or ignore out of convenience in maintaining your BELIEFS.)

And you push this as a religious cause, in fact veganism has become your relgion.

Compassion as a lifestyle is an admirable thing. Apparently it only applies to you when you deem it worthy of being shown.

I don't push my meat eating,

You don't have to. It is 'pushed' everywhere, TV, magazines, billboards, radio, industry sponsored campaigns and on and on. Follow the $.

I don't care what you consume

You just don't care about a lot of things. You MIGHT care if you had a clue about the effects of my choices on YOU, but you ignore or dismiss summarlily all facts and evidence that illustrate and document those effects. And on the reverse, I do happen to CARE A LOT about what other people eat, because (despite all my early life teachings and insistence to the contrary...yeah I was WRONG!) I now understand and acknowledge the WELL-DOCUMENTS FACTS regarding the environmental, cultural, and moral damage that meat production causes and the EFFECTS that damage has on MY life and my reliance on that same ecosystem (and health care system) for an existence.

, those like you want to push this dietary lifestyle on others, sort of spreading the word of veganism, as opposed to some kind of diety. A vegan evangelist, talking of the evils of eating meat, and how all of us carnivors are committing acts of cruel evil.

Yeah, when we are BOMBARDED by the ads, the 'facts,' the ignorance, the denials, the uncaring, the higher health care costs, the environmental damage, and all of the rest of the tired cliche crap related to meat eating, yeah, we might just feel a need to speak up and IMPROVE the world we live in for EVERYONE, including those who cannot speak for themselves. Again, SOME people will actually LISTEN and HEAR the message, will GET EDUCATED, and will STOP DENYING the damage (to the animals, to the earth and environment, and to themselves) that meat based diets cause.

I wont stand for it.

Neither will I. Sir Paul and I WILL NEVER SHUT UP in the face of such adversaries as the meat industry and people like you. Did it EVER occur to you that you could be WRONG about something that you have been TAUGHT to BELIEVE, regardless of facts????

You are judging others as cruel humans, even calling us ignorant.

Dismissal or denial of well documented facts IS the VERY definition of 'ignorance.' and ...When it is plainly obvious what damage some/many humans' actions cause, calling cruelty what it is is simply stating facts, NOT spewing PERSONAL OPINIONS OR making unfounded JUDGEMENTS. Saying things like 'that is downright crazy' IS a judgement, on the other hand. If I restate or point to well documented facts showing the cruelty (and other ills) of the meat industry, and YOU interpret that as me making a judgement that you are cruel, well MAYBE you are being DEFENSIVE because deep down, hidden somewhere in you, might be the FEAR that you actually ARE responsible for that cruelty. Sadly, your overwhelming inability to admit error (or responsibility) prevents you from going any further and actually opening your mind to other possibilities than the ones you've already made your mind up about.

I know what goes on at a slaughterhouse, and I simply don't care,

YOU SIMPLY DON'T CARE and THAT is as telling as ANYTHING you could say. You could have saved yourself the trouble of giving me a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent by just stating that in the first place. YOU SIMPLY DON'T CARE even though you (claim) you know what goes on in slaughterhouses. It all boils down to that YOU SIMPLY DON'T CARE. Well, some of us DO care.

as long as they are not breaking any laws. Problem is, its not just illegal practices you take issue with. You oppose all slaughter, no matter what standards are put in place.

The industry standards are a pathetic joke (again, those pesky well-documented facts you like to pretend don't exist or that you SIMPLY DON'T CARE about). You would go to jail for any number of 'standard practices' if you commited ANY of them on a 'pet' animal. Which leads me to the question....Why don't you also eat cats, dogs, guinea pigs, macaws, or any other so-called 'pet' animals. What's the difference, eh? They get eaten in other parts of the world. After all, they are just animals, right? No equality with humans. No emotions. Just here for our use and consumption? If you can't say 'yes, I eat those also' you will have shown just how 'downright crazy,' contradictory, and hypocritical your opinions and world views are.

And you want everyone else to follow your moral code.

And we would ALL be better off. Oh that's SUCH a TERRIBLE thing isn't it? A better world for people AND the REST of the PLANET. Well, I guess that only makes sense if someone actually SIMPLY CARES about anything other than their own selfish wants and, in the case of diet, to satisfy their tastebuds and false 'need' to consume dead animals.

Sorry, I already have a religion, and its not diet based.

Religion is part of the problem, especially misinterpretation or selfish interpretation of religious texts, so that makes perfect sense.

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/images/smilies/muching_out.gif

ViolinCyndee
12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I wanna know why Yanks thinks Michael Vicks' treatment of dogs was horrible, but completely accepts the things that go on at factory farms? Things like: the RAPE rack (YES, that's the official name, approved of by the USDA). Also things like: putting LIVE chicks in a grinder to dispose of them, or just piling them up into garbage bags and just throwing them away. (another USDA-approved practice). Also allowed: castration with NO anesthetic, cutting birds' beaks of with a hot knife (no anesthetic), using electric prods to force animals to walk to their deaths, etc.. ALL approved of by the USDA as "standard procedures"!

HOW is this BETTER than what Michael Vick did to those dogs?
Because: 1. dogs are cuter? 2. no one's eating them?

Btw Scott.. LOVE that smiley!!

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Cyndee, it's really very simple.

Dogs are pets. We don't eat them. We play with them and take them for walks. Therefore, they should be cared for.

Chickens and cows, however, really aren't animals at all. They're simply food. You really can't pet them, or keep them in your home. Their only purpose in this world is to provide sustenance for humans. Therefore, no consideration for their well-being needs to be addressed.

Do you care if the knife you use to cut your lettuce has a dull blade? No? Then why would you care about how a chicken is killed - they're really the same thing.

And yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

ViolinCyndee
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes, I am glad your tongue is in your cheek! ;) And yeah, I actually used to be in that frame of mind years ago (for real!).

ronmac
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Nice one, Jeff. I fully expect Thomas to disappear into the margins, like he always does after making an ass of himself and being put into his place.

Of course, now he'll be compelled to reply. ;)

We might even find out that some of his best friends are vegans.

mozo-pg
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Here is the issue to me on this thread. This is a music site. Politically charged or polemical discussions should not really be here. Call me crazy but I wanted to read about Paul instead of the Ph.D. dissertation posts (by the way, not the quality of academic discourse) I skinned over these quickly and then ignored.

OptiquesJeff
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't bring it up.

Paul rocks.

ronmac
12-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Paul rocks.

Ya know, rocks are people, too!

The Silent Man
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I didn't bring it up.

Paul rocks.

No, but you sure as hell fanned the flames. :roll

PiscesPraematurus
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
me too!
i hold Ram in the same regard as a Beatles album

I'm pretty amazed I just read that...Ram is OK but it's silly ear-candy compared to any Beatles album after With the Beatles.

PiscesPraematurus
12-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Do you drive a car?

ronmac
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty amazed I just read that...Ram is OK but it's silly ear-candy compared to any Beatles album after With the Beatles.

I'm in the same boat for the first part, but I love With the Beatles.

OptiquesJeff
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Do you drive a car?

Yes, and as someone who eats a plant based diet, even if I drove a Hummer (which I don't!), my carbon footprint would still be WAY smaller than a meat eater's who drives a Prius. Also, while acknowledging the obvious issues of the auto industry, let's not forget that cars are not living beings and the issue that was specifically brought up was in regard to living creatures and diet. So, no 'gotchyas' here...meat eaters are ALWAYS trying to find fault or hypocrisy with vegans' lives, which is a poor way of avoiding an intelligent discussion of the original/actual issue. Plus NOBODY, including ME, ever claimed to be a PERFECT vegan (or perfect anything for that matter). I just know that my lifestyle and diet choices overall are much better for the world than most peoples' who simply don't care. Eating a plant based diet is a TREMENDOUS improvement, so much so that most other attempts to be 'green' (and or healthy) are dwarfed by it. That's one reason why I stopped supporting a lot of environmental groups...they save one thing while hypocritically ignoring the much greater damage they are doing by not fully advocating and committing to plant based diets.

progholio
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
first off - can we put a stop to the vegan vs meateater bullshit?
that was not the intention of this thread.

all i can say is we all have different taste/opinions and i stand by mine.
i will generally go to Ram before Yellow Submarine if i'm in a Beatles fram of mind.

as a matter of fact i listend to Ram a couple of weeks ago (along with Chaos & Creation) since i was still on a 'high' from the recent concert. i have been a fan of that album since it was released in '71 and it just dawned on me that parts of it were heavily influenced by Brian Wilson - check out Dear Boy and Ram On pts 1 & 2 for example. if you don't hear the 'Pet Sounds' than you're not listening. now i like it even more.

songs like Three Legs, Monkberry Moon Delight, Too Many People, Heart of the Country sound like they could be leftovers from the 'White' album sessions.

check out the tune Smile Away - if newer bands like the Black Keys or White Stripes told you they never heard this before they're lying. Paul was way ahead of the curve with the lo-fi, white boy blues.

the closing track Backseat Of My Car while sounding more like a Wings tune could pair nicely as a follow-up to She's Leaving Home.
one has to wonder where 'she' ended up after leaving home, right?

yogibear
12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
i have never seen any ex beatle but Paul or George would be the one i'd be most interested in. John had such a great voice back in the day but his solo stuff while ok very good gets over shadowed by the politics, too bad. the only paul live i have is "wings over america" which was a roio i found that also had "ram" as an add on to the end of the second cd. this live set is killer wonderful and has some killer tunes playing and singing. i did pick up another live thing called "last flight" from glasgow 1979 and while its very nice the earlier set smokes this one.

Obscured
06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Saw Sir Paul last night in Brooklyn. Mere words cannot explain how good this "old man" was. 38 song, nearly 3 hr set.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2013/barclays-center-brooklyn-ny-13d9e9d1.html
Oh wait, he also did a 45 minute "soundcheck" set for about 50 or so that I assumed payed a hefty $um. That set had him and his band play different songs, except for Lady Madonna, than his regular set. A selection of 50s-60s tunes (including Blue Suede Shoes), solo (Coming Up) and Beatles (Birthday) songs. Paul's voice was spot on, perhaps even better than the other concerts I've seen of him in the past decade or two. He obviously loves every second he's on stage as does his band. Joking with the crowd during his between song banter, he has such a keen sense of humour. The light show was incredible culminating with great pyrotechnics during Live & Let Die. Such a career retrospective was thrown at us. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Father Tiresias
06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
I have tix for the July 12 show here in DC. I can't wait! This will be my first time seeing him.

mozo-pg
06-10-2013, 08:01 AM
I have tickets to see Paul, 21 rows back, for the Ottawa show on July 7. My first show too.

HealthyNational
06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Going tonight, Brooklyn. Stoked!!

JJ88
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Not been to many shows but I saw him a few years ago, he really delivered. He kicked off with 'Venus And Mars/Rock Show' when I saw him and even threw in 'Ram On' at one point, was very pleased. However, I didn't enjoy the stadium experience at all and would not care to repeat it.

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
He was pretty good on Steven Colbert last week. His speaking voice was cracking but he sang with gusto. He's promoting the Wings Over America CD and DVD. This being said, four of the songs on Colbert were also featured on that Wings tour. His keyboard player is a familiar face; been with him for decades. Saw him only once in Berkeley about twenty years ago...

Wisdomview
06-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Not been to many shows but I saw him a few years ago, he really delivered. He kicked off with 'Venus And Mars/Rock Show' when I saw him and even threw in 'Ram On' at one point, was very pleased. However, I didn't enjoy the stadium experience at all and would not care to repeat it.

Nice! I saw him in 2010. Great, great show, but unfortunately he didn't play those songs.

HealthyNational
06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Agreed. Caught the second Brooklyn show a week ago. My favorites were Juniors Farm, Maybe Im Amazed, Long and Winding Road, Let It Be, Hey Jude and the incredible Live and Let Die.
Wow. Sir Paul's voice shows no sign of getting older. I could not believe my ears during Maybe I'm Amazed. Just blown away.

HealthyNational
06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
However, I didn't enjoy the stadium experience at all and would not care to repeat it.
Saw him a few years ago at the Citi Field baseball stadium and although I enjoyed the concert, seeing him last week in an arena was so much more rewarding.

Obscured
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
. I could not believe my ears during Maybe I'm Amazed. Just blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRnrKqVqKXQ
Yep. Amazing.

ronmac
06-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Seriously? Sounds kinda wobbly to me.

If that vocal was isolated...

mozo-pg
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM

They sound wobbly to me too. Still, it's Paul and I'll no problem listening him in a few weeks!

beano
06-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Saw McCartney at Yankee Stadium 2 years ago...Great to see him but Yankee Stadium should stick to ball games, not the best place for a concert..Would have liked to see him in Brooklyn , but just too costly this time around..

ronmac
06-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Saw McCartney at Yankee Stadium 2 years ago...Great to see him but Yankee Stadium should stick to ball games, not the best place for a concert..Would have liked to see him in Brooklyn , but just too costly this time around..

It's also not the best place for a baseball game this year. And that's coming from a die-hard Yankees fan. :(

mozo-pg
07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
One of the best rock shows I've ever seen. I gave my two seats to my sons that were 21 rows from the stage and my brother gave me a seat in his box seats. I'm somewhat ambivalent about not getting full up into the action but my back was sore and I didn't feel like standing. It's the first time my 12 year old really enjoyed a rock show and my 21 year old loved it too. The band was incredibly tight and McCartney played two songs he didn't play in the recent past, both from Sgt Pepper's (awesome). I thought Paul's voice was in excellent condition. He ran through a quite a bit of the Beatles discography and some of the most decent music from his solo career. I've never seen such a deceptively striped down stage that had the most state of the art set up I've ever seen (wicked graphics, explosions, rising stage, etc.). I'd rate the show 9/10. I had such high expectations and he delivered on every single level.

ronmac
07-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Here's a recent set list. I'm assuming the "Pepper" songs you referenced were "Lovely Rita" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."

01 Eight Days A Week
02 Junior's Farm
03 All My Loving
04 Listen To What The Man Said
05 Let Me Roll It
06 Paperback Writer
07 My Valentine
08 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
09 The Long And Winding Road
10 Maybe I'm Amazed
11 Things We Said Today
12 We Can Work It Out
13 Another Day
14 And I Love Her
15 Blackbird
16 Here Today
17 Your Mother Should Know
18 Lady Madonna
19 All Together Now
20 Lovely Rita
21 Mrs. Vandebilt
22 Eleanor Rigby
23 Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
24 Ram On
25 Something
26 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
27 Band On The Run
28 Back In The U.S.S.R.
29 Let It Be
30 Live And Let Die
31 Hey Jude
32 Day Tripper
33 Hi, Hi, Hi
34 I Saw Her Standing There
35 Yesterday
36 Helter Skelter
37 Golden Slumbers
38 Carry That Weight
39 The End

mozo-pg
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Here's a recent set list. I'm assuming the "Pepper" songs you referenced were "Lovely Rita" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."

What an incredible set list. I checked the Ottawa set list and it looks about the same. Lovely Rita was nice but The Benefit of Mr. Kite was incredible. I also liked the banter. Paul taking about her experiences hanging out with Jimi and Eric in London. He also refer to Ringo, John, and George and the audience went wild. My oldest son is in the Canadian Forces and his friend played bagpipe on the last song Paul played (Mull of Kintyre (with Ottawa Police Service Pipe Band)). Unfortunately, we took off after Day Tripper so we missed Helter Skelter and two or three other songs.

ronmac
07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, we took off after Day Tripper so we missed Helter Skelter and two or three other songs.

Are you crazy?

mozo-pg
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Are you crazy?

:lol - I didn't check previous set lists so thought 3 or 4 songs were it. I had not idea 4 or 5 songs were still to go.

ronmac
07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Rule number one: stay until the house lights come on and piped-in music starts playing. ;)

Obscured
07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
The Benefit of Mr. Kite was incredible.That for me was a highlight in the Brooklyn show too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7TxaM9gUo
(Very cool they played Mull Of Kintrye with your sons friend and his Pipe band; think that's the first time on this tour for that song.)

mozo-pg
07-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Great song! Great show. Glad you enjoy it too.

progholio
07-09-2013, 01:05 PM

01 Eight Days A Week
02 Junior's Farm
03 All My Loving
04 Listen To What The Man Said
05 Let Me Roll It
06 Paperback Writer
07 My Valentine
08 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
09 The Long And Winding Road
10 Maybe I'm Amazed
11 Things We Said Today
12 We Can Work It Out
13 Another Day
14 And I Love Her
15 Blackbird
16 Here Today
17 Your Mother Should Know
18 Lady Madonna
19 All Together Now
20 Lovely Rita
21 Mrs. Vandebilt
22 Eleanor Rigby
23 Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
24 Ram On
25 Something
26 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
27 Band On The Run
28 Back In The U.S.S.R.
29 Let It Be
30 Live And Let Die
31 Hey Jude
32 Day Tripper
33 Hi, Hi, Hi
34 I Saw Her Standing There
35 Yesterday
36 Helter Skelter
37 Golden Slumbers
38 Carry That Weight
39 The End

I've been on a McCartney high all over again with the Cobert appearance.
That's a hell of a list, a little different from last year's. I think I would of melted with Ram On.
I was seriously thinking about driving out to Indianapolis sunday night but just remembered I have Ian Anderson tickets.

Wisdomview
07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Found this on YT. Pretty cool, me thinks................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsQ3kIMdrAQ

davis
07-10-2013, 08:12 AM
^ that is interesting. Fascinating. I'd love to see the whole thing & without the background music.

I recently saw the Red Square DVD and was knocked out. Great show!

progholio
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Found this on YT. Pretty cool, me thinks................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsQ3kIMdrAQ

Thanks for sharing, that is most excellent.

When I hear the song Smile Away I can't help but think about all of those young kids who think the Black Keys invented that sound when all along it was Sir Paul.

Ken
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM
We planned for our Boston trip back in January. Our hotel was 1 mile from Fenway, I was looking forward to going to Fenway to watch a RedSox game. But when the baseball schedule came out, the RedSox were out of town for our entire trip. I find out Paul McCartney is at Fenway Tuesday night, the show was completely sold out, but with my dumb luck, we walk over to Fenway in the afternoon, and I was able to buy newly released tickets in the rightfield rooftop, near the pesky pole. And what a show! The setlist was similar to the above, and we definitely stayed until the end. We both marveled at the incredible talents of Paul. He captivated the audience, and it was a very entertaining show.

Father Tiresias
07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Went to show here in DC last night. He was indeed as great as everyone has said - an incredibly memorable evening. Killer setlist, sizzling performance. Too bad it was in a huge baseball stadium - a dreadful place to see a show, especially one of an artist you love.

Joe F.
07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
My brother just scored tix for this Friday's show in Seattle from an ex co-worker. They're on the floor and look like pretty good seats (6 rows back in the second section of floor rows). I'm stoked. My first time seeing a Beatle.

Paulrus
07-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Wobbly, as in "I'm 70 fucking years old" wobbly? Sure.

The performance still gave me chills. I can only imagine how cool it must have been there in person.