PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Vinyl!

zombywoof
11-10-2012, 01:07 PM
A few of mine...
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/381735_2824510374631_1084270488_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/381118_2824517574811_1728526066_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/304883_4403208281092_712596818_n.jpg
Mono Copy of "Absolutely Free"
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/380424_4463964879969_640123418_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/264739_4463963039923_1114922791_n.jpg

Post yours!

Adm.Kirk
11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I'd be here all day if I started that.

Bill

zombywoof
11-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Not a problem, of course!

rcarlberg
11-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Never thought it'd come to this, a collection of LPs is unusual enough to crow about.

zombywoof
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Never thought it'd come to this, a collection of LPs is unusual enough to crow about.

I don't know. More of a hobby thing. As in, these are the rarities that I have. I intended this a thread for collectors. Ya dig?

Jymbot
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I got that "freak Out". The thing of course is to get it with the freak map. (Which I DONT have.)

I have two copies of "Uncle Meat".

Probably the rarest krautrock I have is the Walter Wegmuller "Tarot" box with the tarot cards.

zombywoof
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I got that "freak Out". The thing of course is to get it with the freak map. (Which I DONT have.)

Me neither of course. I do, however, have the mono version. Its not in very good shape, unfortunately...

claycorn
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM

some of them will show more later

rapidfirerob
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I had a mono copy of Freak Out and traded it to a friend for a stereo one when I was a kid. I also own the Ruben and The Jets and a mono copy of Absolutely Free. Love my vinyl! The best sounding one is Blow By Blow, a half-speed master I got new for $5.

zombywoof
11-10-2012, 09:33 PM
some of them will show more later

Great stuff. That UK's hard to find. I had the chance to own Discipline for $7 but I passed it up... stupid me. It was NF and I was concerned about transporting vinyl...

I had a mono copy of Freak Out and traded it to a friend for a stereo one when I was a kid.

I bet you're kicking yourself for that one!

Reid
11-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Here you go, Zomby. This guy has a huge collection of prog, Zappa, ECM, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYrhb_alAKg

Progtopia
11-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I have a pretty decent collection of Tangerine Dream rarities -- In the Beginning and 70-80 box sets, Poland 4LP picture discs, all four Ohr albums, Force Majeure clear vinyl, a few others. My vinyl collecting days are behind me, though, but I enjoy pulling these out from time to time.

Jymbot
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Oi Zomby!
Forgot to say I have the orig press of Zomby Woof lp.

I still actively seek lps & 45s but not prog/psych.

Not prog? Well, reason being that I refuse to spend more than two dollars on a lp ,so I trawl a favorite cheap place once a week and for 50 cents a record your not gonna be getting prog. But its okay because Im slowly filling up the gaping lacuna of common (but good) lps that bypassed my collection all those years ago because I was strictly after the rare stuff (knowing all full well that in the future it would be even harder to FIND - not buy.)

And Im discovering how truely great some of these common non-progs were - like just recently with CSNY "Deja Vu".

Here is a list of "common" non or borderline prog lps Im hoping to find cheap:
Baker Gurvitz Army - Elysian wotsit
Argent - ring of hands
Family -entertainment
Severed Heads
Traffic - last exit, Mr Fantasy
Zappa - walka jaka
Stray- move it
Seatrain -same
Blue Oyster Cult - on your feet..
Stranglers - rattus norvegius
Al Stewart - love chronicles - orange - zero she flies (this one will be difficult)
Split Level - same (Dot)
Sweetwater -same

Only time I spend good money on lps is at the yearly record show which is coming here in the next two weeks.

My only other source of prog lps is trade with a dealer, but I have to go some 50 miles so this doesnt happen often. (I give him 5 shit lps for one progger I be needing.)

The days of trading lps with Europe are LONG gone.

The world sucks and its getting worse.

rapidfirerob
11-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Great stuff. That UK's hard to find. I had the chance to own Discipline for $7 but I passed it up... stupid me. It was NF and I was concerned about transporting vinyl...

I bet you're kicking yourself for that one!
Yes. I wish I'd bought FO from him. He had no interest in any version of the album. This is an album that is nice in stereo if you have to make a choice.

zombywoof
11-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Oi Zomby!
Forgot to say I have the orig press of Zomby Woof lp.

I've actually never heard that LP, my username is actually after the Zappa song. How is that album?

Jymbot
11-14-2012, 05:54 PM
For second generation German prog "Riding on a Tear" lp is surprizingly good. Weak spot being , as usual, the vocals.
Music, of course, is nothing like Zappa.

JIF
10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
I just got a Jensen CD/record player for my birthday. There's a Factory Records in my area. Any good prog records to buy?

Lopez
10-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I used to have a beautiful copy of the Mothers' We're Only in It for the Money LP. If I'm not mistaken, it also came with the cutouts and little extras a la Sgt Peppers. I traded that away long away. I was a stoopid teenager.

I guess the rarest vinyl item I have, that I know about, is the original Live Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page. I had known that is was yanked from release when Page complained. I bought one in a neighborhood rekkid store in Providence a day or two after it's official unrelease in 1971. The lady at the counter had no idea it had been pulled. Think I paid $3.57 for it brand new.

rapidfirerob
10-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I have WOIIFTM, when it first came out, and I don't recall any cutouts, but it's been a LONG time. I also have
a mono Absolutely Free and traded my mono Freak Out for my friend's stereo version. Wish I'd bought it from him.

No Pride
10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
A sore subject for me and (like it or not) I'll tell you why:

I had a reasonably decent vinyl collection by around '75 and then my girlfriend at the time and my apartment got robbed; all gone. I started over and gradually acquired an even bigger collection. But at a certain point, my turntable broke. Some of you are too young to remember this, but there was a period of time when the turntable had become a rare artifact. I couldn't find one if it was a life and death situation. In the meantime, I was fairly transient in my younger years and I got tired of carting those heavy boxes from apartment to apartment with nothing to play them on, so I eventually sold them all... and for pennies. :( It's a deep regret, but who could've guessed that rap music would come around and bring the turntable back?! I replaced many albums from my original collection with CDs, but there are some that never have (and probably never will) be reissued on CD. And as Forrest Gump would say, "that's all I have to say about that."

BTW, "Freak Out" was one of the first lps I ever bought, along with "Meet The Beatles."

rapidfirerob
10-25-2013, 02:13 PM
A sore subject for me and (like it or not) I'll tell you why:

I had a reasonably decent vinyl collection by around '75 and then my girlfriend at the time and my apartment got robbed; all gone. I started over and gradually acquired an even bigger collection. But at a certain point, my turntable broke. Some of you are too young to remember this, but there was a period of time when the turntable had become a rare artifact. I couldn't find one if it was a life and death situation. In the meantime, I was fairly transient in my younger years and I got tired of carting those heavy boxes from apartment to apartment with nothing to play them on, so I eventually sold them all... and for pennies. :( It's a deep regret, but who could've guessed that rap music would come around and bring the turntable back?! I replaced many albums from my original collection with CDs, but there are some that never have (and probably never will) be reissued on CD. And as Forrest Gump would say, "that's all I have to say about that."

BTW, "Freak Out" was one of the first lps I ever bought, along with "Meet The Beatles."
So sad. Hopefully, after all these years of therapy, you've worked it out. :)

No Pride
10-25-2013, 02:27 PM
So sad. Hopefully, after all these years of therapy, you've worked it out. :)
I have, Rob, which isn't to say I don't have other issues. :)

rcarlberg
10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
I have the inserts which originally came with WOIIFTM. They are a parody of the sheet that came with Sgt Peppers of course -- which I also have.

I have a couple hundred rare LPs if anyone really cares. I doubt you do.

rapidfirerob
10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
I have the inserts which originally came with WOIIFTM. They are a parody of the sheet that came with Sgt Peppers of course -- which I also have.

I have a couple hundred rare LPs if anyone really cares. I doubt you do.
I care and will sleep better tonight knowing you do. I have some medium rare and well done LPs. :)

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
BUY MY VINYL!!!! (or I'll come to your house and erase your computer music files- AHH!HA!HA!HA!)

SUNSET VINYL -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_1?ie=UTF8&asin=B004JMRMSS&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A1084H7M775V80