PDA

View Full Version : Activity Stream showing posts from private groups too

PindralProgger
11-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I think it's a cool feature here, but should posts in private groups be included?

spellbound
11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Posts to private groups should be invisible to non-members of the group. Private groups are not necessarily exclusionary; should you feel you belong in one group or another you should at least be allowed to petition to join. But some private groups are private because, while the people within the group generally agree with each other, many people outside the group consider those inside contemptuous. But the group like being here and wouldn't be here at all if they did not share a love for progressive music. I don't care too much if my posts to public forums are public in an activity stream or profile, after all they are there in a public forum for all to read, but I prefer my posts to private groups to be private. Why should I invite more enmity than I already have? I'm a nice guy, but my views on some subjects may be quite different than yours, and many people seem to be intolerant of that. Please find a way to fix this. Please.

Scott Bails
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree with Steve and Alan.

NogbadTheBad
11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
And we really don't want the pictures in the NSFW group appearing in the activity stream

Don Arnold
11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Does the activity stream show all posts from all groups....or just open groups and those groups you've joined? I'm wondering if the activity stream excludes posts from private groups you have not joined.

Scott Bails
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
And we really don't want the pictures in the NSFW group appearing in the activity stream

Good point! :O

PindralProgger
11-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Does the activity stream show all posts from all groups....or just open groups and those groups you've joined? I'm wondering if the activity stream excludes posts from private groups you have not joined.

That's a good question for sure. Anyone know? :)

progeezer
11-07-2012, 08:32 PM
And we really don't want the pictures in the NSFW group appearing in the activity stream:O:O:O:O:O

PindralProgger
11-07-2012, 08:33 PM
I quicky looksee on the Activity Stream...I went to Groups and saw a couple I'm not in like the Hockey one and another. On the group ID they said recent activity something like 19 and 23 minutes ago...I then went to the Activity Stream and looked for those two groups and did not see any mention of them. So, yeah, maybe it does detect what groups you are in?

Anyone else able to confirm?

Poisoned Youth
11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
It appears that you cannot see posts in the activity stream from groups that are set to private.

NogbadTheBad
11-07-2012, 10:17 PM
It appears that you cannot see posts in the activity stream from groups that are set to private.
That would be a good thing :)

Duncan Glenday
11-07-2012, 10:53 PM

I quicky looksee on the Activity Stream...I went to Groups and saw a couple I'm not in like the Hockey one and another. On the group ID they said recent activity something like 19 and 23 minutes ago...I then went to the Activity Stream and looked for those two groups and did not see any mention of them. So, yeah, maybe it does detect what groups you are in?

Anyone else able to confirm?

NogbadTheBad said:
It looks like posts in invite only groups appear in the activity stream? If this is so then it kind of defeats the purpose of them being private

You can only see stuff going into the private groups of which you are a member.

You can't see posts going into other private groups.

I just tested this:

I have an alter-ego login user-ID called "DNG", which IU'm using for testing purposes.
As a I posted something into a private group.
I could see it in the activity stream.
I logged out and in again as DNG - could not see it.
Logged in again as myself again - could see the post.

notallwhowander
11-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Thank for settling my mind on that Duncan. :up

NogbadTheBad
11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Cool thanks Dunc

Hunnibee
11-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Glad to know this! Thanks for setting us straight, Duncan.

aplodon
11-08-2012, 04:49 AM
What the heck is activity stream? Can't find that anywhere.

Sean
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/activity.php There's a link in some menus here too for it. It reminds me of the stream at Facebook where you see everyone's incoming.

PindralProgger
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Again, you are a Saint, Sir Glenday!

aplodon
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/activity.php There's a link in some menus here too for it. It reminds me of the stream at Facebook where you see everyone's incoming.

Gosh! What a mess! People really use that?
Like all replies messed up into one thread.