PDA

View Full Version : Groups vs Threads

Yves
11-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Obviously we have a lot more options on this new PE. One of them is to start groups as opposed to just posting threads. I see some groups started for specific bands or genres. I am just curious to get a consensus on whether people prefer that approach. Does a 'group' stand a better chance of attracting discussion because it will never fall off the page, or does a thread stand a better chance because many members are not even visiting the 'group' page in the 'community' section?

Facelift
11-07-2012, 09:29 AM
The functionality for private groups should be disabled. All content should be in the threads. The "ignore" function is still there if you don't want to deal with somebody in particular.

Sean
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I will say up front, we are putting the ixnay on groups that discuss music. That just sucks content away from the main boards. The few that have been set up will have to be taken down sometime soon. Making little pockets here to discuss what we normally discuss here anyway (and is the heart of this sites content) is not going to work for obvious reasons.

Yves
11-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I will say up front, we are putting the ixnay on groups that discuss music. That just sucks content away from the main boards. The few that have been set up will have to be taken down sometime soon. Making little pockets here to discuss what we normally discuss here anyway (and is the heart of this sites content) is not going to work for obvious reasons.

Welll that answers my question. I found it strange that people would start music-related groups (esp. for ubiquitous bands like Yes).

PS: How do I quote only one line from someone's post? I had only highlighted your first line but got your entire post

Sean
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Welll that answers my question. I found it strange that people would start music-related groups (esp. for ubiquitous bands like Yes).

PS: How do I quote only one line from someone's post?

Quote it all and then go up there and edit out the part you don't want before you click Post. It's the only way here. It's not so bad once you get in the habit.

Yves
11-07-2012, 10:30 AM
That's what I'd been doing, but I thought there was a shortcut.

The Silent Man
11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Worst thing about groups is the absence of 'Go To First Unread Post' or the proper Quote function, as per threads. The former in particular is going to be REALLY annoying when a group discussion gets to a lot of pages