PDA

View Full Version : 'lectric bass

davis
02-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm aware that this http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Method-Beginning-Electric-Bassist/dp/B0009298Z2/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1360336311&sr=1-1&keywords=bass+guitar+lessons instructional series is highly regarded, so are there other instructional books/DVDs you'd recommend for learning bass guitar from scratch? Or is that the best place to start?

spellbound
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.thefunkuniversity.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

davis
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
that's real interestin'. does it work for blues rock?

spellbound
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
^Sure. You only have to be able to count to twelve.

Just kidding, of course. Funkers and blues rockers are more talented than me. I don't play an instrument.

davis
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I can play a little bit of clarinet and that much harmonica. I have an electric bass and I want to learn to play it. mainly interested in blues/blues rock. also surf and/or stoner if I can find anyone else in my 'neighborhood' that's interested.

Mikhael
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
As long as you understand scales and how they fit into chords, it's just a matter of learning where the notes are on the bass.

Ajay
02-09-2013, 02:12 AM
As long as you understand scales and how they fit into chords, it's just a matter of learning where the notes are on the bass.
As a bass player, let me say, that would be ideal. :)

Yes, theory carries over from one musical specialty to another. The big problem for people learning to play bass, though, is how to touch the instrument so that you're getting the sound you want with as little noise as possible. If you've never played bass before, it's a surprisingly clanky object.

I can wholeheartedly recommend The Improviser's Bass Method by Chuck Sher as a good balance between foundational information and something interesting to play. 101 Bass Tips by Gary Willis can help you with touching the instrument effectively. And don't overlook Bass Guitar For Dummies for a good overview of how playing bass is different from playing guitar.

The TalkBass forums are a good place to discover other resources, but beware, a lot of what's presented in the chats there as must-do's are misconceptions.

Adm.Kirk
02-09-2013, 02:28 AM
The way I learned was I made 4 or 5 cassettes with some of my favorite songs that had great bass lines and learned from the tapes. I had been playing guitar for several years at that point, so I knew where the notes were. The other key thing for me was I had the opportunity to play with a great drummer over a number of years. I don't care how good you are at playing bass without a decent drummer, you are going to sound like crap.

Bill

warrplayer
02-18-2013, 07:20 PM
So, I've been playing for many many years...if I had had youtube when I started I probably could have shaved 4 or 5 years off the time it took me to get comfortable with the instrument. Just go out and start watching people playing bass lines to whatever floats your boat...play along and you'll be a star in no time. ;). The best way to learn theory I found was to study with advanced players. I learned more in one hour with Carol Kaye than I had the previous 5 years reading Bass Player and checking out library books on theory. The most important thing of all though is to enjoy it!

rapidfirerob
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Take lessons, play along with albums and play with other people after a short time. Good luck!

davis
02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
^^ i bought a copy of Bass Player mag and thought it was boring. I'll get lessons on YT or from a DVD.

davis
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Which one of these books would you choose?

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy---Use/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361371326&sr=1-1&keywords=bass+for+beginners

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Guitar-Dummies-Patrick-Pfeiffer/dp/0470539615/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361371413&sr=1-2&keywords=bass+for+beginners

warrplayer
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Which one of these books would you choose?

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy---Use/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361371326&sr=1-1&keywords=bass+for+beginners

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Guitar-Dummies-Patrick-Pfeiffer/dp/0470539615/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361371413&sr=1-2&keywords=bass+for+beginners

The Hal Leonard is okay if a bit dry. No experience with bass for dummies. Try all of Carol Kaye's books. A big part of her teaching style is trying to keep things fun and interesting for the player without getting too bogged down in theory you will never be able to apply at a beginner or intermediate level. Not recommended if you only like a few styles of music though.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-classic-changed-Fender-players/dp/B00321GXBO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361478046&sr=1-2&keywords=carol+kaye+bass

wideopenears
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
That rec for The Improvisers Bass Method is a good one, IMO. Great book, esp. if you're interested in Jazz or improv at all.

I think at first, you can find some simple songs--and learn the "shapes" on the fingerboard for the minor and major pentatonic scales.

Carol Kaye's books are good, too. But I think playing along with albums is the best thing, for a beginner.....as long as you're not trying to start with Jaco, Stanley, Tower of Power, or something too busy!

davis
02-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Playing along with albums is fine for clarinet and harmonica (I own both), but doing it with a string instrument is confusing for me because you can get the same note in more than 1 place. I'm not even familiar with Jaco, Stanley or ToP music. If I were to attempt to learn the bass parts of songs from recordings, I'd go with Billy Blough, Noel Redding, Mary Huff, JP Jones, Steve Smith, Bill Wyman, Tommy Shannon or Paul McCartney... not to mention Dusty Hill. Or maybe some simpler stoner bass parts. YT vids may be a good place to start.

davis
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Doors bass parts ought to be a good starting point too

Mikhael
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Doors bass parts ought to be a good starting point too

I'm a bit curious why you'd say that, since those parts were played on a keyboard.

davis
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
^ because I've read/heard they're simple to play. And they were played on bass guitars in the studio when recording. I gotta start somewhere, and I LOVE Doors' music.

Which of these guys is using the correct fingering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV1e08U2NtE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexbRCnn3mw

warrplayer
02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
^ because I've read/heard they're simple to play. And they were played on bass guitars in the studio when recording. I gotta start somewhere, and I LOVE Doors' music.

Which of these guys is using the correct fingering?

there is no such thing as correct fingering on the bass. You should play a phrase as many different ways as possible and pick what works right for you. A lot of bass players learned from guitar players who often stress one finger per fret. This may be absolutely true for guitar, but is not so for bass. Depending on the scale length of your instrument this can cause severe hand fatigue. Practice whole steps with your index finger and your pinky. And, index finger and ring finger. What works best differs for each player. The goal is to sound each note properly and move between notes fluidly. Concentrate on learning bass lines and scales. Your fingering will sort itself out naturally after you have been playing a while.

Vic2012
02-23-2013, 01:52 PM
about 12-13 years ago I bought cheap, P-Bass knockoff. At first it was clanky to play. I never understood how players developed that finger style. I never really took it all that seriously but I played along with my records, and I also bought an instruction book at Guitar Center. With time I started developing strength in my fingers (for striking the strings and fretting). It got to the point where I almost wanted to find some people to jam with. I think that's how you really learn to play rock bass, by jamming with other musicians. I'm sure if I would've kept at it I would've gotten good enough to at least play in a cheap cover band. I even had callouses and all. But life got in the way and I had to get rid of the bass.

davis
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
there is no such thing as correct fingering on the bass. You should play a phrase as many different ways as possible and pick what works right for you. .

But you need to play in the correct key(s)... I think I need to hire a teacher until I learn what's going on and get a solid foundation and go from there. And jam with other locals.

warrplayer
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
But you need to play in the correct key(s)... I think I need to hire a teacher until I learn what's going on and get a solid foundation and go from there. And jam with other locals.

you can play in the correct key in a wide variety of different fingerings. It isn't like piano where there is only one occurence of each note. If you happen to learn somebody's fingering off youtube and it turns out they are playing the song in a different key than the original you will probably only need to play the same pattern but starting a note or two away from where you started when you learned the song. Hope this makes sense.

davis
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
you can play in the correct key in a wide variety of different fingerings. It isn't like piano where there is only one occurence of each note. If you happen to learn somebody's fingering off youtube and it turns out they are playing the song in a different key than the original you will probably only need to play the same pattern but starting a note or two away from where you started when you learned the song. Hope this makes sense.

I won't quite understand it until I get to do it, but it sounds liberating. similar to working out a known melody on clarinet in that, while I have to use certain fingering, the way the tune is played is entirely up to me.

wideopenears
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Sher's book is good because it talks about positions. Playing in position is a good thing to know. In other words, playing "across" the neck, instead of up and down it, is a great starting point. With a four string bass, for example, if you position your hand at the fifth fret, and your second finger is on the "A" (fifth fret, E string), you can play from A flat below that A, all the way up to d an octave above the open D string (7th fret, G string) without moving your hand. Start down at the end of the neck, with the open strings, and learn the notes from low E up to B (4th fret, G string)...and then continue up the neck......

davis
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
^ that sounds like what I'd call an economical or efficient way of doing it, which is fine with me. I'll check out that Sher book, thanks.

davis
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Which is the better cable, Planet Waves or Rock Monster? or is that also a matter of preference? I ask because I want to get rid of my 3 or 4 ft cable and get a 30-ft cable.

Mikhael
03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Which is the better cable, Planet Waves or Rock Monster? or is that also a matter of preference? I ask because I want to get rid of my 3 or 4 ft cable and get a 30-ft cable.

I make my own, for a lot cheaper. There is so much BS and hype concerning guitar cables, that it's a joke. Get a good shielded cable with Switchcraft (my preference) or Neutrik connectors on it, and you're good.

davis
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Also, can any bass (that is strapped on, as opposed to upright) be converted into wireless? eliminating the cable altogether.

davis
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
I haven't the slightest idea how to make a cable. I'll keep your advice in mind

Mikhael
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Also, can any bass (that is strapped on, as opposed to upright) be converted into wireless? eliminating the cable altogether.

Sure. The wireless is a small thing about the size of a cigarette pack, that you hang on your belt or strap, and plug into the bass.