PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning behind your signature on your posts?

Digital_Man
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
My current sig says "Prog: It's not just for baby boomers anymore" referring to the fact that the majority of prog fans were(or maybe still are)babyboomers born between the mid to late forties and mid to late sixties(in this case mostly fifties and sixties).

The one before that read "This chicken sandwich is better than life itself." I bet a lot of people who saw that one were thinking WTF does that mean? I know a few of you won't rest easy until I explain it so here it is. Back in 1988 I worked at a grocery store. On my lunch break I would often go back to the deli to get something to eat. One time this guy recommended the chicken sandwich and tried to sell me on it by saying "it's better than life itself." I'm not sure I would go that far but it was very good.

polmico
02-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I like to use mine when I pick up the ladies. Sometimes I even offer them dessert first if you know what I mean.

spellbound
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
The Principia Discordia by Robert Anton Wilson

This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out.

Grasshopper always wrong in argument with chicken.

Wipe thine ass with what is written and grin like a ninny at what is Spoken. Take thine refuge with thine wine in the Nothing behind Everything, as you hurry along the Path.

And, behold, thusly was the Law formulated: Imposition of Order = escalation of Disorder!

Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

Duncan Glenday
02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Self explanatory ;)

walt
02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
It seemed(still seems) appropriate for a music message board.Especially one(such as PE) with very opinionated folks.

WHORG
02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
The cops showed up at one of my house parties last year, it was rockin'.

Pepe coined the phrase.

Dave (in MA)
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Mine may or may not be a unix joke that almost nobody would get and wouldn't find funny if they did.

Dave (in MA)
02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
...Not only that, but you don't have a signature.

3LockBox
02-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Its a poke at the pugnaciously religious and/or blindly patriotic posters on FB who are constantly waving their beliefs like a flag and double-dog daring everyone to "re-post this your wall" lest ye be branded unfaithful or unworthy.

meimjustalawnmower
02-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I have no idea. It came with the user name.

Hobo Chang Ba
02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
The first two things are just spacefillers that I put down upon registering so that I would have a signature. They don't really have a specific meaning other than being the first things I could think of at the time.

The last line is a sarcastic statement implying that good music should be placed above the want of money. Obviously, this is idyllic in nature but still something that fits in a place like this.

NogbadTheBad
02-05-2013, 07:59 PM
The Beer, Sport Music is just the meaning of life.

The Binary one is a play on the two digit number system where 10 equals 2.

I used to have a Hitler quote "Everyone who thinks Kansas are prog get out of the room" which is a reference is from one of those youtube Hitler skits from Downfall, I think it was Hitler being told that Fripp wouldn't allow photographs & going off on all sorts of prog tangents.

Scott Bails
02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Mine is simply a quote that I've always loved, and that I try to use as a guide in everyday life.

I always try to use something that will inspire or motivate me (and hopefully others) in my signatures.

I used to have a great quote by the great Kerry Chicoine, but that was retired with PE V2.0.

Amy
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UHkv8hZYY

0:26 |) |) |)

meimjustalawnmower
02-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I used to have a great quote by the great Kerry Chicoine

Never heard of him, but I'm gonna Google his name right now.

Duncan Glenday
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Mine may or may not be a unix joke that almost nobody would get and wouldn't find funny if they did.

Change it to ../ - and it will refer to your PEv2 signature.

I have no idea. It came with the user name.

I actually did "LOL" at that!

notallwhowander
02-05-2013, 10:56 PM
The Principia Discordia by Robert Anton Wilson

I think you have some fnord on your collar there...

- - - - -

Well, I chose my signature when I settled on my avatar. It's a line from the Grateful Dead song "Eyes of the World." The way I understand it is that you are in the very rare position of not only being in the world, but observing it. You, out of almost everything else that sprung from the dust of this planet, bring an unparalleled level of consciousness to what is going on. Beyond a series of chemical processes, where energy and elements are traded back and forth between molecular structures, which everything most certainly is, you bring an acute awareness to the whole amazing phenomenon. When searching for one's place and purpose in this crazy world, I think this is a pretty profound piece of the puzzle.

At the same time, it is an invitation to realize that place and purpose by opening yourself up to experiencing the world. That's what you bring to the party, after all. See it, feel it, experience it. You are the eyes of the world.

meimjustalawnmower
02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
^^^:up

Yodelgoat
02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Mine changed my own attitude towards things I dont understand. Quote by the father of the scientific method.

Jerjo
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I grew up in, and live in, a very rural area. My signature is a commentary by one of America's greatest wits on the music that saturates this landscape and makes want to vomit. (and yes, I will make exceptions for Johnny C, Willie, etc.)

Digital_Man
02-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Here I thought I was a good speller but apparently I spelled "signature" wrong. Oops.

Adm.Kirk
02-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Mine is from the most recent Dylan album. Just a line that caught my attention.

Bill

Trane
02-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Mine is obvious... Miriodor, Mingus and SJ Hawkins type of music have definitely increased my piles of records...

My previous one (on 2.0) was a quote of Harmonium's Pour Un Instant... which said something along the lines: "I've lost time trying to gain time"...

Chain
02-06-2013, 05:17 AM
I wanted something profound

Brian Griffin
02-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Gary Green was mocking my beloved affirmatives when he offered mine in an interview, but having seen them multiple times 1975 - 80, his quote is exactly how it seemed

BG

zombywoof
02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Mine is a direct Roger Dean quote, when I told him that "Topographic Oceans" was my favorite Yes album.

Rarebird
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Mine is pretty clear.

Ribo
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Mine's a quote from Kevin Gilbert's 'Suit Fugue (Dance Of The A&R Men)'. Seemed somehow apropos. I guess maybe a better quote from the song might have been "Ah, fuck it!"

Duncan Glenday
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Here I thought I was a good speller but apparently I spelled "signature" wrong. Oops.

Fixed

Poisoned Youth
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Mine is a homage to PEv1 when PEv3 started picking up steam.

Rune Blackwings
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
no signature. in old PE, I think it was a sentence i wrote in Norwegian that, translated (I had to have it translated to by first: a yahoo group, second: corrected by Andy Winter, and third: corrected by Jacob Holm-Lupo) said "we exist only in the minds of gods....death is when they stop dreaming". it was for a concrete poem i did called "eksistere" and was for a poetry group. If you know anything about poetry groups, there's always this need for them to out-profound each other. i don't view myself as much of anything profound, so my poem was meant as a take on how they try to make deep meaning in everything. i used norwegian because i love the language and because, since most people don't speak it, it was this exotic looking mysterious writing.

Superfly
02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
My current sig is from an old Smothers Brothers episode where Pat Paulsen is doing a commentary about censorship. Back in the late 60's, the brothers pushed hard against the censors and paid the price for it, eventually being cancelled.

spellbound
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
My current sig is from an old Smothers Brothers episode where Pat Paulsen is doing a commentary about censorship.

I am a big fan of Pat Paulsen and the Smothers Brothers. At separate shows, many years ago, I got to see Pat and the Brothers Smothers. Rest in peace, Pat.

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."

Oreb
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Mine is a quote from "Gregory Peccary" that struck me as terrifying the first time I heard it.

It's my own personal memento mori.

Hunnibee
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
My current sig is the link to the Prog Fest Calendar, which no one ever reads. Even worse now with PEv.3 with its built in calendar and Nog's ongoing Prog Fest thread, my calendar is a lonely thing floating in the abyss of cyber space. It's a labor of love, for which I spend countless hours seeking and hunting Prog fests so that people can plan their vacations accordingly. I get no money out of it. I wouldn't know how! However, it's fun to maintain, no matter who does or does not use it. I daydream about some of these fests, even knowing I will never get to attend 99% of them. Thanks for the opportunity to pimp my calendar. :D

East New York
02-08-2013, 02:09 AM
A very close friend described me in this way because I've survived things that are horribly heavy-duty.

Chuck AzEee!
02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Basically what I feel about politicians.

davis
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't even know if I have a signature. I'll find out when I post this.

davis
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
oh that's right, it's symbolic that I'm a pretty quiet person most of the time.

zombywoof
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
My current sig is the link to the Prog Fest Calendar, which no one ever reads. Even worse now with PEv.3 with its built in calendar and Nog's ongoing Prog Fest thread, my calendar is a lonely thing floating in the abyss of cyber space. It's a labor of love, for which I spend countless hours seeking and hunting Prog fests so that people can plan their vacations accordingly. I get no money out of it. I wouldn't know how! However, it's fun to maintain, no matter who does or does not use it. I daydream about some of these fests, even knowing I will never get to attend 99% of them. Thanks for the opportunity to pimp my calendar. :D

Well done, too.

Klonk
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Mine is a quote from the great Bartender/Philosopher...Moe Sizlak.

tom unbound
02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Ah, yes Moe. Dispenser of nectar and wisdom... presidential material ! ;)

Hunnibee
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Well done, too.

Thank you, Ian.

JKL2000
02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not even a musician, but I just thought this quote allegedly from Bach was pretty funny. I read it in KDM's liner notes in a Klaus Schulze album from a few years back.

arise_shine
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
It's the English translation of the Aranis song "Fluitsap".

Flute juice.