PDA

View Full Version : The Illness and Injury Thread

Pages : [1] 2

llanwydd
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
During my twelve or thirteen years in this group I have frequently seen OT threads started by people who were worried about some aspect of their health. They express their concerns in many ways from asking for prayer to simply venting their frustration. Not a bad thing, in my opinion. Possibly even a part of the healing process.
It might be fun for some, beneficial for others to do that here. I predict one of two things; either the thread will appear in "Older Messages" after three or four posts or it will go on forever.
Let's keep this on the lighthearted side. Not necessarily humorous. Some people may be seriously ill or inclined to venting. Maybe we can help each other heal.

Here is mine. Two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a serious pain in my abdomen. I got up and was walking across the floor when I suddenly started sweating like a squeezed sponge. Seriously, this was the most I had ever perspired at once. I felt dizzy and somehow had the thought that if I ate something I would stabilize. When I got to the kitchen I fell on the floor and passed out. I don't know how long I was there but when I woke up I was in a pool of sweat and could hardly move. I eventually crawled to my bedroom and was so weak I decided to sleep on the floor. I woke again at some point and picked myself up and had a serious pain in my right foot.
Believe it or not this very same thing had happened to me sixteen years ago but without the heavy perspiration. That time I had woken up on the floor with a broken left ankle and spent six weeks in a cast. I had apparently twisted it when I fell. This time I had a dull pain in the middle right toe. I said "Not again!" I hobbled to bed, slept some more and went to the ER in the morning. Well, after two weeks, several x-rays and as many diagnoses including neuroma, a non-cancerous tumor and something-"itis" and a lot of pain, I found out today that my toe is broken. This is called a "stress fracture" which requires me to wear a kind of orthopedic boot (like a cast except that I can take it off when I need to).
Some of the things that have happened to me in the meantime are hard to believe. A few nights ago I limped into a convenience store for a cup of coffee. I was followed in by a man who punched me in the face for no apparent reason. I couldn't balance on my right foot, of course so I couldn't defend myself. The guy behind the counter, who I had never seen before, was laughing (I'll see that guy again when this boot comes off) and the guy who punched me told me to run, which of course I couldn't. I just staggered back to my car and took off.
I could tell more stories about the past two weeks but I just took a Vicodin and I'm getting sleepy. But all this has happened while I'm making plans to move back to NY state. I managed to get rid of my old, huge television so I'll never have to move that again but the rest of this furniture is going to be a bitch to get out of here in my condition.
I know I'll look back on this and laugh someday. But maybe some of you have similar stories that have become funny over the years. Or just vent. Whatever you please.
By the way, I never got an explanation of what caused me to pass out either this time or the time before but I figure if it only happens once every sixteen years I'm not going to worry too much.

Vic2012
02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Youch! Yeah, you need to move back to NY and get outta Dodge. I'm not making a joke out of this. Hope everything works out for you.

I had an interesting experience about 3 weeks ago that I'm kind of embarrassed to talk about but I'll just tell the story anyway because there are always wisecrackers who like to make snarky comments and shit (oh, he's embarrassed .... blah blah, yuck yuck). Anyway, I've mentioned on another thread that I'm under a LOT of stress because of my mother's health. Add to that my aunt who's in her 80s health is deteriorating as well. She'll outlive my mother (who's 6 years younger than my aunt) but she has sever osteo arthritis and she's prone to falling down (like she did the other day in the parking lot at the grocery store). It's just us three, most of our relatives are buried, and my brother lives 3000 miles away. So needless to say, I'm stressed out. Ya think? And I know anyone who goes through this is stressed out. Some people handle stress better than others.

So about 3 weekends ago I was doing my usual thing :beer + a little o' this X). I was also taking something for a few days to help me relax at night, so this may have contributed to this little thing that happened. I get in my car and start driving home. It must've been 9-930pm. I usually take some dark, back roads to avoid any cops or too much traffic. I've been doing this for years. Well, I driving through the pitch-black, rural back road and I nodded off for a second. Next thing I know I hear a big blam! and I'm jolted awake. I hit a fucking tree. The only good that came out of this was that I didn't get hurt (I use my seat belt), the airbag did not deploy so the crash couldn't have been that bad, no one saw anything, no one else was involved. But I fucked up my car. I won't go all into how I replaced the vehicle but let's just say I'm thousands of dollars in the hole now. I'll be 55 next Tuesday, so I'll be working until I drop dead. Either way, it was an expensive lesson.

This thread should be interesting.

llanwydd
02-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Very sorry to hear about that, Vic. Sounds like it could have been even worse, though.

Yes, this thread could get interesting. Thanks for contributing.

Vic2012
02-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Very sorry to hear about that, Vic. Sounds like it could have been even worse, though.

Yes, this thread could get interesting. Thanks for contributing.

Well, I'm not sure I believe in God anymore, but if there's a God up there, he let me get off on that one. Needless to say I've cut back on this :beer and this X). Tomorrow I'm invited to a Superbowl BBQ so I know the beer will flow, and I'll be offered shots. I DO NOT drink anything other than piss-water, Lite beer. I've never had a DUI and I don't ever plan on having one.

I found out today that my toe is broken. This is called a "stress fracture"

Ouch. I cracked a toe about 20 years ago, walking around barefoot in the dark. I jamed my little piggie against a heavy, wooden chair. There's no setting the bone or putting a cast on it. Broken toes have to heal on their own. The worse broken bone I ever had was breaking my right femur when I was 7 years old.

Hunnibee
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Awesome thread! Not always "funny" to hear about others' tribulations, but the irony, sarcasm, and humor help to ease our pains, yes?

I'm sorry to say that I am pretty healthy these days. Now that I've left the dark, depressing arctic behind, I feel better mentally AND physically. I'm no longer sleeping in a cold storage room in a smoky, moldy house, so I'm breathing better. I will never live with smokers again! I am also under less stress, of course, because I no longer live in a state that I hate. I'll take life along the West Coast over misery in Alaska any day!

I am a little blue because I am unable to find a job in the Portland area, in spite of lots of interviews. I guess they are looking for beauty rather than substance. Also, I am actually gaining weight in my poverty because carbs are cheaper than protein, so having less money for food does not make you slimmer. I do not recommend the "Spaghettios" diet, even if a can is only 89 cents at WinCo! The bulk of my money goes for gas so I can get to the job interviews, which appears to be a waste of time since I'm not getting hired. My next step is to just live in my car and drive around the USA as long as my Unemployment checks keep coming.

My weight is not affecting my blood pressure or my blood sugar. I'm sure my triglycerides are high because of the cheap sugar I ingest, but until I get a job and health insurance, there's no way to know how I'm really doing in that regard. Diabetes runs in my family. It almost killed my sister on New Year's Day! Luckily, I've been able to avoid it so far, but until I can get into my own kitchen and prepare the low-carb/high protein foods that will make me slimmer and healthier, it's the damn beefaroni or frozen pizza for dinner, which is all I can afford on my tiny budget. :(

My only health issue, aside from ongoing obesity, is Reynaud's Syndrome, always bad in the winter no matter where you live. I never had it in my feet before, just in my hands, but this year, it's affecting my toes for the first time. My knees are still arthritic, of course, but less painful here in the Lower 48. There's something about -40 below that settles into your bones. I will never live in Alaska again! I could not afford a flu shot this year, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will avoid the bug. Looking forward to spring and hiking again, as long as I have gas money to get up into the hills. In the meantime, there are some snow-free urban trails I've done a little walking on. If I can't eat right, I should at least try to get some exercise, yes?

Here's hoping everyone stays healthy for the rest of the winter and avoids some broken bones! :D

Dave (in MA)
02-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Here's my dumbest injury story, unless I think of another one. I was on my way to take a shower after midnight, walking up the hall to the bathroom, and I was pulling my T-shirt off over my head. It was at that exact moment that one of the cats (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15012251) decided to run between my feet. Down I go, one knee slamming into the floor and my shoulder bouncing off the clothes hamper before I go face down on the floor with my arms still over my head. Then we discover that the cat is limping. Apparently I landed on him, partly at least. Then my wife notices I have blood streaming down the back of my head, so I guess he scratched me when I fell, even though I didn't feel anything. I put some neosporin on it and then I had to take the cat to the emergency vet and pay $200-something to find out that he was OK. Ever since then I get a strange, not really painful but very uncomfortable feeling in my arm every so often, that only goes away if I raise my arm behind my head for a while. Sometimes it even wakes me up. The doctors haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. Months of PT were of no help. Stupid cat (http://photos.petfinder.com/photos/US/MA/MA262/15012251/MA262.15012251-3-x.jpg).

Vic2012
02-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Funny story Dave. Well, it was comical but you coulda really gotten hurt bad.

llanwydd
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm starting to wonder if my attempt to make this a funny thread isn't the funniest thing about it. Feel free to laugh at your own misfortunes while I'm the one to be sorry for you.

Very happy to hear that Hunnibee has finally moved. I thought it would never happen. Now she will never spend another winter in Alaska. I know how she feels. I am hoping never to spend another summer in Florida, although I will surely keep coming back in the winter. The comments about her diet are very true. The least expensive foods are the least nutritious. I've had the same problem in the past. Don't you just love people who say "You look well fed".

About Dave (in MA)'s story, I couldn't laugh but I'm glad if he does. I have actually been injured by PT. I mean it was serious negligence at best. The best I could do was call her supervisor and say "That woman has got to be watched". I hope they did.

Greg
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm starting to wonder if my attempt to make this a funny thread isn't the funniest thing about it. Feel free to laugh at your own misfortunes while I'm the one to be sorry for you.

Yeah, I've nothing funny to add.

But, if you're into reading about long-term misery: http://lifewitheczema.wordpress.com

Dave (in MA)
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
About Dave (in MA)'s story, I couldn't laugh but I'm glad if he does.You have to be able to laugh at a story about a guy getting tripped by his cat when he has his shirt over his head. I wish I had video.

meimjustalawnmower
02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
So about 3 weekends ago I was doing my usual thing :beer + a little o' this X). I was also taking something for a few days to help me relax at night, so this may have contributed to this little thing that happened. I get in my car and start driving home. It must've been 9-930pm. I usually take some dark, back roads to avoid any cops or too much traffic. I've been doing this for years. Well, I driving through the pitch-black, rural back road and I nodded off for a second. Next thing I know I hear a big blam! and I'm jolted awake. I hit a fucking tree. The only good that came out of this was that I didn't get hurt (I use my seat belt), the airbag did not deploy so the crash couldn't have been that bad, no one saw anything, no one else was involved. But I fucked up my car. I won't go all into how I replaced the vehicle but let's just say I'm thousands of dollars in the hole now. I'll be 55 next Tuesday, so I'll be working until I drop dead. Either way, it was an expensive lesson.

Imagine how expensive it would have been if instead of the tree, you hit a car with a family in it.

Jefferson James
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Imagine how expensive it would have been if instead of the tree, you hit a car with a family in it.

Imagine how expensive it would have been if he'd smashed his car into the Superbowl.

SteveSly
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
You guys realize we have now become our parents. When we were younger we used to make fun of how all old people seemed to want to talk about were their ailments and health issues. As evidenced by this thread, many of us here are now there ourselves. For me, within a month either side of turning 50 I suddenly had a bunch of health issues crop up. Thankfully they were mostly minor things, but it was a bit of an eye opener. As Neil Peart once said we are “learning that we are only immortal, for a limited time………..”

Steve Sly

Hunnibee
02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Yes, we have aches and pains as we get older, but we are still "young at heart" and enjoying doing the fun things we did when we were younger... to a point. I can't party much past midnight anymore, but back when I was 21, I'd go out drinking all night with the girls, go out to breakfast, and then go to work. Those days are long gone! That being said, I'm still going to ride a few more roller coasters and go see a few more great rock bands before I hang it up completely. (If I ever even hang it up at all :D )

Very happy to hear that Hunnibee has finally moved. I thought it would never happen. Now she will never spend another winter in Alaska.

Yes, thank you, I'm a much happier person having escaped my exile, but I have a lot of "trauma" still to overcome.

Facelift
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Broke my hand over the weekend.

Jefferson James
02-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Broke my hand over the weekend.

Yikes -- that's a tough injury (been there, broke that). Hope it's not too serious (I see you can still type).

Dave (in MA)
02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
You guys realize we have now become our parents. When we were younger we used to make fun of how all old people seemed to want to talk about were their ailments and health issues. BULLxxxx! That's not true at all. My father's PILL ORGANIZER is way bigger than mine.

llanwydd
02-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I've nothing funny to add.

But, if you're into reading about long-term misery: http://lifewitheczema.wordpress.com

I had heard of eczema but never knew what it was. I knew someone with those red blotches I saw in your picture. She had them on her arms. It looked very uncomfortable. Great to see your progress, though. You seem to be making a lot of right decisions about your health. Thanks for participating in the thread.

Facelift
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Yikes -- that's a tough injury (been there, broke that). Hope it's not too serious (I see you can still type).

Typing is possible, though a bit painful. It's the 4th metacarpal, which means that only the ring finger and pinkie are affected. If I give my hand support and position it just right over the keyboard, I can get through a day's work without too much pain. Dressing and showering are two different things entirely, but they aren't always expected from prog fans, so... :)

tom unbound
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
So I wake up tied to a hospital bed, iv's in my arm, and sore as *%#@.
There's 3 or 4 ladies talking Spanish over by the door. They notice I'm coming to, and quickly leave.
I'm all alone.
There's the sound of helicopters coming and going outside, but the curtains are drawn.
I have absolutely no idea of where I am, or why I'm here.
After what seemed to be an eternity, I figured (probably because earlier in the summer I went to Mexico with friends on vacation) that I was kidnapped, put in some illegal Mexican clinic, and was having my organs harvested for transplanting.
Eventually someone came in and told me what actually happened.

I can flat out laugh at the story now, but it was no fun at the time !!!

And that was the 2nd time I woke up....maybe that one next time. This thread could run for years with the :geezer crew around here......

progeezer
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
There are others on PE that could tell you about my various mishaps JUST at festivals!:lol

Greg
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I had heard of eczema but never knew what it was. I knew someone with those red blotches I saw in your picture. She had them on her arms. It looked very uncomfortable. Great to see your progress, though. You seem to be making a lot of right decisions about your health. Thanks for participating in the thread.

It's been a long and frustrating journey to get where I am now--and this is the second truly severe period of it that I've had to deal with--both time it was triggered by exposure to inordinate amounts of perfume and body sprays in enclosed office environments.

It can be extremely painful. At first the inflammation itches like crazy, but as it worsens it just begins to burn incessantly, and the only things that help are lots of ice and high potency corticosteroids.

I'm surprised, but appreciative, that you actually got through my "Moby Dick" length ramblings ;-)

hippypants
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I used to have bad eczema as a kid growing up through my teens, but it has sort of more or less recessed, which I'm grateful for. Back when I was a kid the didn't know of very good ways of controlling it. I remember at night I used to apply some pastey medication, and then cover it with saran wrap (so the paste would soak into the skin, I think), tape it down, and try to get to sleep. There summers were the worse, as the saran wrap would make you sweat. The whole process wouldn't help to cure it, but it seemed to help some. At least the eczema helped to keep my out of Vietnam with the wet hot environment there, I got a deferment.

Good luck while you get over your recent illnesses. Llanwydd, it's funny the doctors didn't comment on your stomach ache or what caused it.

Hunnibee--I'm cooking dried beans and rice tonight--a good way to stretch the budget and eat fairly well, also I eat eggs a couple times a week, and generally cook up some sort of big soup in a crock pot, which last nearly all week.

Enid
02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I have bridge phobia and it just suddenly 1 day, bit me on the rear-end. It all started in my mid-40's with the heat. If the heat was on in the car midwinter.. I would roll down the window or turn the heat off. I could play on stage at an outdoor festival in mid July and breath perfectly. I could sit in front of a fireplace and feel comfortable. Musicians drive me over the bridge and I'm fine, but if I drive myself...my legs freeze up and I go into a real panic. I would love to know how and why this nightmare developed. I crossed bridges for decades with no issues. Last summer I drove over the Walt Whitman bridge from a gig. My wife said "Are you ready to switch?" and I just kept driving with confidence and faced a huge apparent fear. Everything was fine and I was laughing at how stupied I felt. The following night I was unable to cross the bridge into Philadelphia again. What does that mean? If you know...please let me know. It must be a panic disorder like being trapped in a submarine or trapped in the middle a huge crowd at Disney World that will not budge. A traffic jam in the heat of July where the heat from the windshield and the air conditioner in your face affects your breathing passages. It's very pathetic and moronic. I would like to find a solution, but I'm not sure the root of the issue and because of that realization...I can't apply technics that are unknown to me and so the problem lingers.

Greg
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Cognitive behavioural therapy is usually the treatment for specific situational phobias and panic disorders.

This might be interesting for you read (review and recommendations for DSM-V for the criterion): http://www.dsm5.org/research/documents/lebeau_sp.pdf. It's a bit "heady", but it may give you some insight into why it began.

SteveSly
02-07-2013, 06:03 PM
It's very pathetic and moronic. I would like to find a solution, but I'm not sure the root of the issue and because of that realization...I can't apply technics that are unknown to me and so the problem lingers.

Phobias are very strange things. I have one (I am not going to discuss here), that pretty much only my wife and a few family members know about. It is very very very real and very weird (at least I think it is). There are certain things that I just can’t do without freaking out. You’re right, in certain situations it makes you feel pathetic and moronic, but it is something that I have never gained much control over. I have a very vivid early childhood memory that I think was the trigger, but I have no way to prove it. Most people in my life have no idea this resides within me, but it is there.

Steve Sly

llanwydd
02-07-2013, 08:22 PM
...The following night I was unable to cross the bridge into Philadelphia again. What does that mean?

You are not the first ever to panic while trying to cross the Walt Whitman Bridge. Could it have been the toll?

progeezer
02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Many snowy, icy winters ago, within a 14 day period, I was almost killed on 2 separate occasions by a semi passing me on the interstate and then cutting back into the right lane too soon and both times causing a white-out that made my car do a couple of 360's and wind up in a ditch in the median. The first time, had it happened about 75 yards farther up the road, I would have died from the drop.

Up until it happened the 2nd time, for the next 2 weeks I put 2 hands on the wheel and like everyone else that's sane, drove as carefully as I could on snowy, icy roads without incident. Ever since my 2nd brush with death on the highway (over 40 years ago), however, I now work myself into a frenzy of fear anytime I have to drive in wintry snow & ice. A leadfoot in warm weather and a 90 year old grandmother who shouldn't be driving (people honk at me for going too slow for them) is now my reality. If I have to, I'll still drive and my hands will ache from clutching the wheel white-knuckled. I try not to drive on any days like that and procrastinate anything I can until the roads have been plowed & salted. I even used up many paid sick days strictly because of the weather after my vacation was depleted because my boss actually understood what it did to me and was one terrific lady. Shit, I can't even drive with music because I need to psychotically focus on not having an accident.

That's my long-standing phobia.

meimjustalawnmower
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
I now work myself into a frenzy of fear anytime I have to drive in wintry snow & ice. A leadfoot in warm weather and a 90 year old grandmother who shouldn't be driving (people honk at me for going too slow for them) is now my reality. If I have to, I'll still drive and my hands will ache from clutching the wheel white-knuckled. I try not to drive on any days like that and procrastinate anything I can until the roads have been plowed & salted. I even used up many paid sick days strictly because of the weather after my vacation was depleted because my boss actually understood what it did to me and was one terrific lady. Shit, I can't even drive with music because I need to psychotically focus on not having an accident.

That's my long-standing phobia.

Dude, you are living in the wrong part of the country. What you need is one of those nice 55+ condos in Boca Raton, with a golf cart and a grocer that delivers. ;)
Seriously tho, I understand completely, having had to drive many times in the worst kind of ice and snow for many winters. I'm just glad I won't have to do that again tomorrow.

Greg
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Phobias are very strange things.

Yes they are. While mine is not very debilitating at all, I suddenly stopped enjoying being submersed in water, either while swimming, or in a full bathtub, when I was around 13 years old. Before that, I would swim a lot, and almost always under water. But, now if the water is up to my chest I get a strange claustrophobic sensation, and have a bit of difficulty breathing. I can get past it, but it's strange how it suddenly began, and seemingly for no reason (that I can figure out).

Many snowy, icy winters ago, within a 14 day period, I was almost killed on 2 separate occasions by a semi passing me on the interstate and then cutting back into the right lane too soon and both times causing a white-out that made my car do a couple of 360's and wind up in a ditch in the median. The first time, had it happened about 75 yards farther up the road, I would have died from the drop.

Wow. Far worse than my 18-wheeler experience that engulfed me in a watery deluge when the truck passed me on the left on Route 17 in NY on the way to Niagara. Also decided to cut right too early, but I had enough room behind to break and avoid hydroplaning. Still a terrifying experience.

One snowy Novemeber back when Penn & Teller Get Killed was hitting theatres, I almost ran over Ray Teller after losing traction around a bend on a hill. Darn good thing the guy's got good reflexes.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Phobias can be debilitating. I cured mine through the mental tools of "general semantics." Don't worry, I'm not getting all culty on you, it's just a set of tools...

Klonk
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Gosh what an upbeat thread!

Enid
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=llanwydd;48003]You are not the first ever to panic while trying to cross the Walt Whitman Bridge. Could it have been the toll?[/QUOTE

Thanks...that made my day..lol!

Enid
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Phobias are very strange things. I have one (I am not going to discuss here), that pretty much only my wife and a few family members know about. It is very very very real and very weird (at least I think it is). There are certain things that I just can’t do without freaking out. You’re right, in certain situations it makes you feel pathetic and moronic, but it is something that I have never gained much control over. I have a very vivid early childhood memory that I think was the trigger, but I have no way to prove it. Most people in my life have no idea this resides within me, but it is there.

Steve Sly

A strange and disturbing experience during childhood may be my case. It doesn't matter if I reveal something and no one cares. I was chased down and dragged through the mud by a Satan cult and some of my friends suffered Satanic ritual abuse. If deep down...that is the reason for phobia..I am not aware of it. I can't seem to connected the 2. Many of my friends have testimonies they wrote based around the experience. Although I haven't spoke with them in years, maybe they have phobia too? Supposedly phobia can be linked to a bad childhood experience.

Dave the Brave
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I was almost killed on 2 separate … doing a couple of 360's ….

Happened to me twice. First time I was going home from a lady friends home the morning after (nudge, nudge, wink wink). Driving on a major Highway I hit a patch of black ice and spun out and across 3 different lanes. Luckily it was Christmas morning about 8:00 am and almost devoid of traffic.

Next time it happened I was driving on a downgrade curve, I lost control and the car actually spun twice the westbound side of the road and then jumped a 6 inch high median into the eastbound lanes. Man I shit my pants, figuratively speaking. Again I was lucky traffic was light. Both times it was in the same 1974 Volkswagen Beetle. Ever since then I also am a very nervous driver in winter weather.

That's the injury side now the illness side.

Bad pain in my feet. Thought I had gout until my mother in law made me go to the doc, I try to avoid the health care system. Turns out it isn't gout but osteoarthritis.
Lots of inflammation and pain. Trying to avoid too many pain meds, just a couple of arthritis Tylenol a day to help me with my walk home from the train station. Recently stated SierraSil supplement. Doc recommended glucosomene but the smell of those suckers, its made from crab shells and such, as well as the size of the pills makes me gag. SierraSil is a mineral supplement made of some exotic clay found in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Iv'e only been taking it a couple of weeks and if I feel no relief by the time the $45 90 pill bottle is gone it will be gone.

Well I'm gonna go brave the weather and head for my train ride home.

DtB

Vic2012
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm starting to get a phobia about trees. :lol. Couldn't resist. I know, phobias aren't a joke. I hate bees and wasps. They give me the willies.

Hunnibee
02-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Is the "Walt Whitman Bridge" the one that goes between Camden and Philly? I got lost after a Blackfield concert in Philly in 2011 and ended up crossing that bridge, then I couldn't figure out a way to go back. I finally stopped at a donut shop and the nice folks showed me how to get back on the westward side of the bridge. People tell me I'm lucky to be alive after being lost in Camden, LOL, but I was okay. :D So, I'm crossing the bridge and I panic because I see a toll booth ahead. All I have is a $5 bill on me. My debit card was at my hotel. Then I'm frantically trying to get the window in the rental car to go down so I can pay at the toll booth, and I end up rolling them all down because it's dark in the car and I'm unfamiliar with all the buttons, so the wind is blowing inside the car and I almost lost my driving directions to get from Philly to Gettysburg (for RosFest). I pay the toll and then I still can't roll up the windows, so I had to pull over once I got through downtown Philly with the wind still buzzing my ears and finally got all the windows up. Hilarious now, but frustrating back then.

So if that's the bridge, then yeah, I'd have a phobia, too! ;)

Seriously, though, Enid, I can understand a little. My phobia is enclosed spaces. I cannot stand elevators or small rooms with no windows. I love hiking, but I cannot enter caves, unless the mouth is very wide and I can see the light. I once panicked when I was hiking alone near Mt. Charleston, Nevada and found myself in a narrow canyon. I backtracked immediately! I can't dive, either, although swimming and snorkeling are okay as long as I'm close to the surface. I can't sleep in a sleeping bag that is zipped up. Large crowds don't bother me if I'm outdoors and can breathe real air. I can handle short plane trips, but after a few hours, I start panicking. Deep snow suffocates me, another reason why I had to leave Alaska. Driving through long tunnels, OMG! Forget it. I can't even sit through an automatic car wash, for christsake. I have to wash the car by hand, and I actually like that anyway... good exercise.

Like you, Enid, it's the lack of fresh air, I think, but it all started when I was 4 years old, and I was stuck alone in an elevator for several hours. No one knew I was in there until someone heard me screaming. Yes, my mom was looking for me, but I have been known to wander off and explore on my own. This was back before "stranger danger", and a little girl could play on the playground by herself. In any case, to this day, I am a certified Claustrophobe.

I hope you can find answers to your bridge problem, Enid.

beano
02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Mental Illness since childhood..But more recently , an OJI resulting in a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder and a herniated disc in my neck..had arthroscopic surgery in December, on the mend...

Greg
02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
...an OJI resulting in a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder and a herniated disc in my neck..had arthroscopic surgery in December, on the mend...

I know what you're feeling. I'm a bit prone to rotator cuff/shoulder/upper arm injuries due to training.

About six years ago I went to an orthopaedic surgeon and had an arthrogram done of my shoulder--THE most painful experience of my life. let me tell you. Nothing I have experienced before or since compares to having a four inch long needle slowly snaked through your pectoral tissue, and reposition several times, while injecting contrast medium into the joint tissue.

To make it all worse, there was no tear to be found.

Ultimately it ended up being a biceps long-head strain, and I was pretty darned pissed off.

Right now, I have pain in the left medial-deltoid, biceps long-head, and brachialis insertion. But, it's far more painful while I sleep, than when I move around and train.

When I was nineteen, I fractured the odontoid of C2 and spent a year walking around with a potentially fatal cervical spine injury while the eejit doctors my mother had been bringing me to floundered and just told me to "relax for a while". Ultimately, I ended up with a C1-C2 spinal fusion and a seven inch scar down the back of my neck.

Even the pain from the broken neck was nothing compared to that arthrogram.

But, get well soon. Glad to hear you were a good candidate for arthroscopic surgery.

llanwydd
02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Gosh what an upbeat thread!

It's not for everyone.

Dave (in MA)
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I think Greg is winning this thread. :(

Greg
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I think Greg is winning this thread. :(

I don't think I like this kind of winning.

yogibear
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM
y'all are some effed up peeps. for sho . well i had sleep apnea bout 3-4 yr ago and had surgery to fix some thangs. so i had a polyup in the sinuses and they removed it and had the tonsil's and adenoids removed so that hepped a little bit and also the doctor removed/shaved a little bit of my tongue on the back side to give more room to the air that wasn't going into my lungs lol. so now when i sleep i don't stop breathing which i suppose is a good thing. at least i don't scare the shit out of the wife like i used to . lol .

meimjustalawnmower
02-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I know what you're feeling. I'm a bit prone to rotator cuff/shoulder/upper arm injuries due to training. About six years ago I went to an orthopaedic surgeon and had an arthrogram done of my shoulder--THE most painful experience of my life. let me tell you. Nothing I have experienced before or since compares to having a four inch long needle slowly snaked through your pectoral tissue, and reposition several times, while injecting contrast medium into the joint tissue.

I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn rotator cuff about 3 years ago. The most painful part of the entire ordeal was the physical therapy after, and that wasn't even a big deal. It took a while. It was inconvenient. I had to re-learn how to use my left arm. It definitely wasn't fun, but I've had way more pain from gout in my foot.

Enid
02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Is the "Walt Whitman Bridge" the one that goes between Camden and Philly? I got lost after a Blackfield concert in Philly in 2011 and ended up crossing that bridge, then I couldn't figure out a way to go back. I finally stopped at a donut shop and the nice folks showed me how to get back on the westward side of the bridge. People tell me I'm lucky to be alive after being lost in Camden, LOL, but I was okay. :D So, I'm crossing the bridge and I panic because I see a toll booth ahead. All I have is a $5 bill on me. My debit card was at my hotel. Then I'm frantically trying to get the window in the rental car to go down so I can pay at the toll booth, and I end up rolling them all down because it's dark in the car and I'm unfamiliar with all the buttons, so the wind is blowing inside the car and I almost lost my driving directions to get from Philly to Gettysburg (for RosFest). I pay the toll and then I still can't roll up the windows, so I had to pull over once I got through downtown Philly with the wind still buzzing my ears and finally got all the windows up. Hilarious now, but frustrating back then.

So if that's the bridge, then yeah, I'd have a phobia, too! ;)

Seriously, though, Enid, I can understand a little. My phobia is enclosed spaces. I cannot stand elevators or small rooms with no windows. I love hiking, but I cannot enter caves, unless the mouth is very wide and I can see the light. I once panicked when I was hiking alone near Mt. Charleston, Nevada and found myself in a narrow canyon. I backtracked immediately! I can't dive, either, although swimming and snorkeling are okay as long as I'm close to the surface. I can't sleep in a sleeping bag that is zipped up. Large crowds don't bother me if I'm outdoors and can breathe real air. I can handle short plane trips, but after a few hours, I start panicking. Deep snow suffocates me, another reason why I had to leave Alaska. Driving through long tunnels, OMG! Forget it. I can't even sit through an automatic car wash, for christsake. I have to wash the car by hand, and I actually like that anyway... good exercise.

Like you, Enid, it's the lack of fresh air, I think, but it all started when I was 4 years old, and I was stuck alone in an elevator for several hours. No one knew I was in there until someone heard me screaming. Yes, my mom was looking for me, but I have been known to wander off and explore on my own. This was back before "stranger danger", and a little girl could play on the playground by herself. In any case, to this day, I am a certified Claustrophobe.

I hope you can find answers to your bridge problem, Enid.

We have a lot in common! Lol! I suffer through the same situations...like being a passenger in a car and traveling through a tunnel or the car wash. I gotta have fresh air in a situation like this and I will run outside on the porch when it's 20 degrees below zero with a tank top on. I can't watch a scene from a movie where a car falls into a river, people are trying to get out , swim to the top to breath again and so I leave the room. Or someone falling through ice. My body starts to freeze up and I become dizzy. Someone told me this was related to bad childhood experiences..like for example when I was chased down by cults. I wrote stories about the nightmarish experiences with my friends and recorded music which revolved around the theme of it...as a means of releasing the emotionally charged inner reaction inside of me. I hope it is not the reason as I thought I closed the lid on the coffin long ago. I use to wear black everyday. Not because I thought I was a mysterious witch, but as a childish act of spite. I didn't like those people because of the ritual abuse they inflicted upon my friends.

llanwydd
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
We have a lot in common! Lol! I suffer through the same situations...like being a passenger in a car and traveling through a tunnel or the car wash. I gotta have fresh air in a situation like this and I will run outside on the porch when it's 20 degrees below zero with a tank top on. I can't watch a scene from a movie where a car falls into a river, people are trying to get out , swim to the top to breath again and so I leave the room. Or someone falling through ice. My body starts to freeze up and I become dizzy. Someone told me this was related to bad childhood experiences..like for example when I was chased down by cults. I wrote stories about the nightmarish experiences with my friends and recorded music which revolved around the theme of it...as a means of releasing the emotionally charged inner reaction inside of me. I hope it is not the reason as I thought I closed the lid on the coffin long ago. I use to wear black everyday. Not because I thought I was a mysterious witch, but as a childish act of spite. I didn't like those people because of the ritual abuse they inflicted upon my friends.

I'd be interested to know what sort of people these were who abused you, especially their ages. I know that many stories of satanic ritual abuse have turned out not to be true and innocent people have suffered as a result. However, I'm certain that these these things occur occasionally within the "metal" community. When I was younger I knew a few teenagers who were very serious about the devil and I wouldn't have put anything past them. I tend to think, though, that such ritual crimes are not perpetrated by anyone of a responsible age. When I hear stories like yours I don't form any conclusions but I never dismiss them because I have suffered other kinds of abuse and no one would believe me because of the good reputations of the people involved. Anyway, to be more concise, were these a bunch of teenage metalheads?

Vic2012
02-15-2013, 05:14 AM
I used to have this phobia about needles and drawing blood. Not sure why but it's something I inherited. It's not that it hurt, it's just the thought of a metal tube being inserted into a vein to draw out my life. There were a few times as a kid (even as an adult) that when I gave blood (lab work, or whatever) i'd turn white, my skin would get clammy, and I'd wanna throw up (I actually passed out a couple times). A few years ago I finally got over it. Since I have to do blood work every 3 months it's become routine. I just can't watch the blood being drawn.

I still get the creepies around flying, stinging insects though. That was because of a childhood trauma. I was stung by a wasp at 3 years old. Never been stung by a bee or wasp since. I'm not as freaked out by them today though. But I remember as a kid people would give me this patented, canned response ... "ignore the bee and it'll go away." Um right, fat chance. The fuckin' bee would just head right for me like it knows I'm freaking out.....:lol

Dave (in MA)
02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I still get the creepies around flying, stinging insects though. That was because of a childhood trauma. I was stung by a wasp at 3 years old.When I was 3 or 4 I was playing outside and was wondering why what I mistook to be one of these (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g9QzuG_3Q_E/TArrDA-REmI/AAAAAAAAAbw/_fOKBPwgUEk/s320/pimple_ball1.jpg)was stuck to the drainpipe. You can fill in the rest of the story yourself.

Vic2012
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Wazzat? All I see is some round thing.
???

NeonKnight
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I suppose I have a list as long as the rest of you when it comes to injuries and illness. Only thing recent is a bad cough and my first ever experience with lovely pink eye. All under control now with some anti-biotics.

Greg: I noticed you mentioned food allergies. Have you heard about ALCAT (http://www.alcat.com/)? I used their testing last year for weight loss and it worked like a charm. (Down 30 lbs in about 90 days, and maintaining.)

I don't have any allergies (thankfully) but many people have had success using ALCAT for food and chemical allergy control.

Greg
02-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Greg: I noticed you mentioned food allergies. Have you heard about ALCAT (http://www.alcat.com/)?

Not until now. I just took a look at their website and HOLY SHIT THEY'RE EXPENSIVE!

Since I don't have any medical insurance--haven't for almost six years, now--I think I'll have to pass on ALCAT for a bit.

My body is a pretty good test kit on its own, though. My skin starts to flare rather predictably if I eat or come into contact with something I'm allergic to. Unfortunately, the condition is cumulative, so I have a reasonably long period of time to wait for things to really "clean out" of my system.

NeonKnight
02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Not until now. I just took a look at their website and HOLY SHIT THEY'RE EXPENSIVE!

Since I don't have any medical insurance--haven't for almost six years, now--I think I'll have to pass on ALCAT for a bit.

My body is a pretty good test kit on its own, though. My skin starts to flare rather predictably if I eat or come into contact with something I'm allergic to. Unfortunately, the condition is cumulative, so I have a reasonably long period of time to wait for things to really "clean out" of my system.

Expensive? :) Understood, but when it comes to improved health and weight loss, expense is a relative term isn't it?

If you already know exactly which foods you are allergic to, perhaps ALCAT is overkill for you. The key
question I would think is what if there are foods that you react to that you don't know about?

For me the expense was easily justified. Blood test was handled by a doctor, and I tested for 200 foods and 50 chemicals are so. 250 cultures and my personalized reactive results delivered in an easy to read format were worth far more than the $750 I paid for it. (my insurance did not cover it.)

I never would have known that mundane items like turkey, romaine lettuce, flounder, and hops (among many others) were all items that my intestinal system reacted to, causing inflammation, leading to weight gain among other issues. Every one has a different system , so your results will be different of course.

All the best whatever you decide.

Dave (in MA)
02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Wazzat? All I see is some round thing.
???I didn't realize that I was being obscure. It's a grey hollow rubber ball with concentric raised circles and dots on it. We called it a "pimple ball" (http://medigan.net/2007/04/18/pimple-ball/) back then, and what I actually saw stuck to the drainpipe was a wasp nest...

Vic2012
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Okay gotcha. So tell us the story.

Dave (in MA)
02-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Pretty much what you'd expect when a 3-year-old grabs a wasp nest.

firth5th
02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Here is mine. Two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a serious pain in my abdomen. I got up and was walking across the floor when I suddenly started sweating like a squeezed sponge. Seriously, this was the most I had ever perspired at once. I felt dizzy and somehow had the thought that if I ate something I would stabilize. When I got to the kitchen I fell on the floor and passed out. I don't know how long I was there but when I woke up I was in a pool of sweat and could hardly move. I eventually crawled to my bedroom and was so weak I decided to sleep on the floor. I woke again at some point and picked myself up and had a serious pain in my right foot.

By the way, I never got an explanation of what caused me to pass out either this time or the time before but I figure if it only happens once every sixteen years I'm not going to worry too much.

Sounds like vasovagal syncope. Very common, and relatively harmless. A nerve that regulates your blood pressure gets out of whack, and you don't get enough blood pumped to your brain, and you get nauseous and pass out. Best thing to do when it comes on is to stay laying down so you get some blood to your brain, and so you don't pass out and hurt yourself.

I've been to the ER about 3-4 times in my life for this. I haven't had an episode in 10 years or so though.

Greg
02-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Expensive? :) Understood, but when it comes to improved health and weight loss, expense is a relative term isn't it?

Can't argue with that. But, I had been spending thousands each year on just trial and error treatments (both OTC and Rx), and I now only working 25 hrs/week, so I have to prioritise.

Besides, while I am able to avoid the food and external triggers that I've identified, I have been clearing up. It's just the impossible-to-avoid situations that set me back a bit, now.

I never would have known that mundane items like turkey, romaine lettuce, flounder, and hops (among many others) were all items that my intestinal system reacted to, causing inflammation, leading to weight gain among other issues. Every one has a different system , so your results will be different of course..

I'm Okay with turkey, but not chicken. Although, I'm fine with eggs.

I recently narrowed down a sensitivity to hops, which pisses me off royally. I am really starting to freakin' miss beer. Although I can still drink sake and Scotch in moderation.

In any case, the ALCAT test is certainly something I'll be keeping my mind on for a while. When I can afford to do it, I think I'll will--just for the confirmation of what I've found on my own, and to expose any sensitivities I may need to know about for the future.

Thanks!

Enid
02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=llanwydd;52241]I'd be interested to know what sort of people these were who abused you, especially their ages. I know that many stories of satanic ritual abuse have turned out not to be true and innocent people have suffered as a result. However, I'm certain that these these things occur occasionally within the "metal" community. When I was younger I knew a few teenagers who were very serious about the devil and I wouldn't have put anything past them. I tend to think, though, that such ritual crimes are not perpetrated by anyone of a responsible age. When I hear stories like yours I don't form any conclusions but I never dismiss them because I have suffered other kinds of abuse and no one would believe me because of the good reputations of the people involved. Anyway, to be more concise, were these a bunch of teenage metalheads?[/QUOTE

Enid
02-16-2013, 09:05 PM
I'd be interested to know what sort of people these were who abused you, especially their ages. I know that many stories of satanic ritual abuse have turned out not to be true and innocent people have suffered as a result. However, I'm certain that these these things occur occasionally within the "metal" community. When I was younger I knew a few teenagers who were very serious about the devil and I wouldn't have put anything past them. I tend to think, though, that such ritual crimes are not perpetrated by anyone of a responsible age. When I hear stories like yours I don't form any conclusions but I never dismiss them because I have suffered other kinds of abuse and no one would believe me because of the good reputations of the people involved. Anyway, to be more concise, were these a bunch of teenage metalheads?

This was a Satan worshippers sect that revolted against the Church of Satan and moved to the east coast. They programmed kids to perform rituals that derived from Judeo-Christian concepts. Such as the works/writings of Colin De Plancey. A young man was murdered in a ritual so he could return as a captain to rule over 40 legions of demons. Something in particular that is forbidden by the Church of Satan. The exact same ritual was attempted on other youths but failed because of good police work but unfortunately the cults and the victim usually fled. Yet many times it was reported by close friends of mine and for the purpose of saving a life...yet!..the victims who escaped denied ever being there. Usually between ages 15-25. Teens were programmed by the sect and they formed seperate divisions that worshipped in the wooded areas of my hometown. Interestingly enough it was discovered that the same ritual took place in the town 100 years before. People in the town called it the "100 year ritual". Between 4 to 5 different Satan cults worshipped in the vast wooded areas of my hometown. These youths were programmed by the sect and abused my friends. Menantico Sandwash and various wooded areas beyond were the places they worshipped. At night you could hear sing-song chanting, hellish screams, and the pounding of 55 gallon oil cans. If they caught you...they would tie you up and taunt you, drag you through the mud and leave you by the roadside...not bringing much harm to you..or turn you over to the elderly group who would consider you an ideal candidate for sacrifice. Police investigated for 2 years after the first murder. They discovered about 6 members that belonged to the elderly sect who were posed as Christians at a local church.

Evidence confiscated frm the young man's room directed the police to the church and other evidence was not revealed at the inquest . The inquest into wide spread cult related activity in the area. 90 teenage Devil worshippers were converted to Christianity by pastor Harry Snook. This was all printed in a Miami newspaper in 71'. Fads at that time were not "Heavy Metal" music but more like the "Dark Shadows" series. Other kids in my age group have testimonies available to read on the internet. They are either dead, in mental institutions, or religious fanatics. The police could not convict the elderly group due to lack of physical evidence on the young man's body. They are always careful to not leave marks or evidence of a struggle. They also played a pit-game where certain fringe members were given instruction to commit the final act...although there would be 50 members present during the ritual and yet the most obvious evidence was left behind for the police to track and convict the 2 or 3 fringe members. This gave the public an image of 2 or 3 kids getting high and worshipping the devil in the woods ...but it was hinted in many newspaper articles that there was something much more deep rooted going on than kids checking to see if their eyes were green. A high priest of each Satan cult would be a full fledged member of the elderly group..while many of the other members had never met or worshipped with the elders.

The same ritual was attempted through the mid 70's and all through the 80's. You would sometimes see them walking out of the woods. It's the largest city in South Jersey and back then the wooded areas were vast where today the woods has been chopped down and replaced with industry. I have no idea if the original wealthy sect fled...but the Devil worship continued for years after the young man's sacrifice. Also the 3rd Generation Watchtower society attempted to channel a demon through a young girl by lowering her into a pit of dead snakes in "Mill Woods". The newspapers were having a field day. 3 boys, 3 LSD tabs, rock music, and more blame to those influences than the actual murderers. In this case ...being murdered in a Satan cult ritual had little to do with isolated incidents of drug consumption/drug culture...fads or whatever! I guess because we were just coming out of the 60's..it would be a good excuse to not reveal the truth. People lie all the time you know? Some friends who were close to me understood otherwise. Years later the detectives were kind enough to clear the bullcrap out of the air and sit and have a conversation with me regarding just how it was all planned and how everything connected.

Enid
02-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I can totally understand how people would find this story farce, but I suppose you must consider that the times we lived in were much different than today. Back then..you had Richard Nixon and the Vietnam war to deal with..but that not being the only reason for panic escape into a cult. Lilith Sinclair who was once a priestess of the Church of Satan was harrassed for the murder of this young man. According to history, she formed the "Temple of Set" together with Michael Aquino in 1972. The young man who went to our school was murdered in a Satan cult ritual in the summer of 71'. Vineland/Millville police harrassed Sinclair and members of her group a month after his death. Perhaps Sinclair was already on the east coast . In 1974 ...I was introduced to a few members of the elderly sect. The only time I ever actually saw them in the flesh. A friend of my family introduced me to them at work. I later had suspicions that Barbara Hutton, the actress..was connected to this group. She owned a venue about a 30 minute drive from Vineland. Maybe you recall her? She was married to Cary Grant and deeply interested in the spirit world. Maybe this all has to do with my phobia? thanks friends for the support.

meimjustalawnmower
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I can totally understand how people would find this story farce, but I suppose you must consider that the times we lived in were much different than today.

Shaking my head in absolute disbelief.

Greg
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
When LaVey created the Church of Satan, it was actually meant as a farce.

He did it in protest of the large numbers of nouveau/quasi-Christian proselytisers who stood on their soap-boxes (literally) during he early 60's at University of California (I think I'm remember the place correctly--one of those universities in CA).

LaVey was actually a rather gentle person, but he was completely jaded after his work as a homicide photographer, and used "satanic" imagery as a metaphor for his experiences. As well, the 60's had already seen the emergence of Gerald Gardner's "Wicca" in the U.S., to which LaVey wanted to respond with the utmost in "non-flowery" shock-religion. It was a public political statement, but, more-so a system of self-empowerment; to LaVey, it held an important core meaning that gave him purpose following his career in the circus, followed by his photographic work with the police in California.

It was rather unfortunate that many groups who came in contact with LaVey during that time spun off onto their own misguided direction drawing even more than LaVey did from the work of Crowely and the Golden Dawn, and bastardising LaVey's morbidly "poetic" commentary on life.

I honestly don't believe a word of the reports that suggest the rituals happened "100 years before", as it was simply not possible. Ritualistic satanism didn't emerge in Europe or the U.S. until after Crowely was dismissed form the Golden Dawn and started the O.T.O. "Historic satanism" is a sociological myth born of the panicked reaction of the Church in response to German Protestants wanting oust "witches" during the late 1400s.

Much of the non-CoS satanic rituals are built upon Crowely's expansion of the Golden Dawn's earlier exploration of Freemasonry and Egyptian magick. Even the symbolism that is integral to the satanic cults that became visible in the 60's rely heavily on work that didn't exist before Crowley created it.

The "thousand-year-lineage" stories for all such magical cults/religions/familys/etc. is actually complete nonsense, apart of the history of the Freemasons, upon which all of the others are originally derived.

But, that's all a subject for a completely different PE thread.

Enid
02-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I am far from being an expert on the subject matter itself. The boy's sacrifice is directly tied in with Christian/Satanism in his belief that his sacrifice would engender the aid of Christian demons. He was delusional trusting his life to a ritual in a book. The use of human sacrifice is older than recorded history and the use of such a sacrifice can actually be found in the Bog Burials in Ireland and Northern Europe. There is also much on the subject in the James G. Frazier's classic.."The Golden Bough". It derives from the writings of medieval theologians in which demons had legions. You can research the newspaper articles, the testimonies of the victims, the police reports, etc ..but you had to physically be there living through it..in order to believe it and that's it...basic and simple. All the slimballs who got away with Satanic ritual abuse to my friends...Well..I guess the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes too? On a more serious note...it's evident why I have problems because I was caught in the thicket of this so called nonsense which in the end, was ...as far as I'm concerned..an excuse to kill and torture innocent kids.

llanwydd
02-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I am far from being an expert on the subject matter itself. The boy's sacrifice is directly tied in with Christian/Satanism in his belief that his sacrifice would engender the aid of Christian demons. He was delusional trusting his life to a ritual in a book. The use of human sacrifice is older than recorded history and the use of such a sacrifice can actually be found in the Bog Burials in Ireland and Northern Europe. There is also much on the subject in the James G. Frazier's classic.."The Golden Bough". It derives from the writings of medieval theologians in which demons had legions. You can research the newspaper articles, the testimonies of the victims, the police reports, etc ..but you had to physically be there living through it..in order to believe it and that's it...basic and simple. All the slimballs who got away with Satanic ritual abuse to my friends...Well..I guess the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes too? On a more serious note...it's evident why I have problems because I was caught in the thicket of this so called nonsense which in the end, was ...as far as I'm concerned..an excuse to kill and torture innocent kids.

As I say, I don't dismiss your story. If there is a book about this cult that you encountered and the crimes involved I'd love to read it. If not, I think you should probably be the one to write it.

llanwydd
02-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Sounds like vasovagal syncope. Very common, and relatively harmless. A nerve that regulates your blood pressure gets out of whack, and you don't get enough blood pumped to your brain, and you get nauseous and pass out. Best thing to do when it comes on is to stay laying down so you get some blood to your brain, and so you don't pass out and hurt yourself.

I've been to the ER about 3-4 times in my life for this. I haven't had an episode in 10 years or so though.

I have taken a look at vasovagal syncope on Wikipedia. The symptoms seem very much related to the phenomenon I have experienced. Thanks very much for the tip.

Greg
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I am far from being an expert on the subject matter itself. The boy's sacrifice is directly tied in with Christian/Satanism in his belief that his sacrifice would engender the aid of Christian demons. He was delusional trusting his life to a ritual in a book. The use of human sacrifice is older than recorded history and the use of such a sacrifice can actually be found in the Bog Burials in Ireland and Northern Europe. There is also much on the subject in the James G. Frazier's classic.."The Golden Bough". It derives from the writings of medieval theologians in which demons had legions.

I can't argue that point. But, it is historically unconnected with "satanic" practices. Prior to LaVey's very public exhibition of his commentary on society via the newly established CoS in the 60's, ritualistic sacrifice had a wholly different context.

You can research the newspaper articles, the testimonies of the victims, the police reports, etc ..but you had to physically be there living through it..in order to believe it and that's it...basic and simple. All the slimballs who got away with Satanic ritual abuse to my friends...Well..I guess the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes too? On a more serious note...it's evident why I have problems because I was caught in the thicket of this so called nonsense which in the end, was ...as far as I'm concerned..an excuse to kill and torture innocent kids.

The "satanic" groups that arose following LaVey's initial lead did take things far off into the wrong direction. I don't deny that cults like these existed post 60's CoS, and they were extremely horrific in their crimes.

My point is not that these cults didn't exist or commit extremely heinous crimes, but that "satanic cults" have no history prior to the emergence of LaVey's public début of CoS.

Even the influence of Crowely's O.T.O., and his own obsession with satan as Baphomet, did not generate the ritualistic abuse that was a desperate, often drug-induced, and misguided response to the commercialism of CoS.

I empathise with you, I really do. Being abused by anyone--group or individual--is horribly traumatic. But, enduring the near-cinematic criminal horrors of cults that are focused on such hateful fantasy as the satanic cults that arose in the late 60's has left many people very badly, and often irreversibly, scarred.

Camelogue
02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Chronic tendinitis, chronic anxiety, (both go back about 17 years)

I got nothing about satanic or christian cults for ya.

Magnashine
02-17-2013, 09:54 PM
One night around 2:00 am I got a terrible abdominal pain, I went to the bathroom and conclude it was a diarrhea. While on the toilet bowl, I felt dizzy and I could feel a hot flash coming so I removed my t-shirt. I suddenly pass out and my head fractured the gypse wall, then bounce on the metal bathtub and finish on the ceramic floor as it could not go lower than that. The noise woke up my significant other who ran into the bathroom to find me naked on the floor. The first thing that came out of his mouth was: you tried to stand up to fast and I mumbled no I was sitting on the bowl. Take two, same question and same answer. Take three, same question but the answer was a loud "shut the fuck up", I was regaining a little energy. I stood up and went back to bed. 10 minutes after, I am too weak to get up and I start vomiting a little bit and I yelled to my compassionate lover "get me the trash bin in the bathroom". the go and get it yourself reply I got still resonate in my head but was quickly eclipsed by a bunch of swear from his mouth as he race to the bathroom. The swear start all over and went in that direction: not enough the cat vomit on the bedroom carpet but you have to do it too. Me I am really too busy with my mouth filling the bucket to have a discussion. But every time I pick the bucket, the first overflow go straight on the carpet and I kind of laught inside as he clean the carpet. The next morning I was fresh like a baby.

Magnashine
02-17-2013, 11:45 PM
2012 was a bad year for me. At one point in spring, I was counting 2 incidents per month but I stopped somewhere in May as it became worst. Got injured twice during the year.

The first incidicent started just after the new year. A broken snowmobile lift, someone who needed my help to put some webbing to let the lift up so the bridge of the snowmobile does not freeze during the night. I tried to remove some webbing in the way and next thing I know, my finger is stuck in the lift and the 500 lbs machine is sitting on it. I calmly said, my finger is stuck, but seeing the other studying the situation which last as long as a Phd, I shouted angrily lift the damn lift. Ouch when he did. My finger turned intantly blue, some spot I could not feel anymore but I put it right away in the snow and went for a walk to calm me down. I strapped my finger on a piece of wood and finally got back to the city 2 days later and went to the clinic. The good news is it was not broken, but the tendon and the nerves were touched. It quickly became crooked. I was worry it would not comeback, it did, but it took almost a year.

The second incident was with the ATV in June. I took it alone for the first time. Before I left, I ask for a course because I find there is a lot of buttons on the machine. He taught me how to put it in reverse and I succeed. So I took off on the road, 10miles later I turn right on an unused road, cool and bumpy. All is fine so far, still going my way. End of road, I have to take another one. It's a well maintain road so I headed to the west making something like 4-5 miles where there are 2 man working on a cabin roof. It's the end of the road so I turned and wanted to get to my previous road but I instead I went at the other end of the same road. Huhu! now I can't find my way out of here so I am traveling a couple of times from an end to another end of the road. I asked my way out to the working men but their explanations did not make any sense. Somewhere in the middle of the road I want to turn, but it is a little narrow and now understand that I am able to put it on reverse only half of the time. Did not listen to my teacher properly! My front tires are half on the road and half over the ditch and I am sinking in the sand. So I go into the wet ditch to try to move the ATV from there. At the second try, I hear a big crack in my knee and I can barely walk on it. I took a branch to help me walk and made something like 10feet in the direction of the workers, the only occupied cabin I saw. There is no way I can walk 5 miles like this so I came back and sat on the ATV. It' supper time, nobody knows where I am, I am lost in the middle of nowhere unable to walk and the blackflies are coming out. Good lord help me! I guess he listened to me as I hear a car coming followed by an Atv. They helped me out and showed me a new road to get back home which I finally made :-) .

Diagnosis, LCL injury level 2, a month with crutches. For fun, I went back to see where it all happened. If stupid Mr. Simard did not have put his cabin sign on the road I was coming from, I would not have thought it was a private road.

Enid
02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Chronic tendinitis, chronic anxiety, (both go back about 17 years)

I got nothing about satanic or christian cults for ya.

This is funny! I love people who can create subtle humour out of something tragic but annoying. I like laughing at the realization! It makes me feel better.

Enid
02-18-2013, 09:09 AM
I can't argue that point. But, it is historically unconnected with "satanic" practices. Prior to LaVey's very public exhibition of his commentary on society via the newly established CoS in the 60's, ritualistic sacrifice had a wholly different context.

The "satanic" groups that arose following LaVey's initial lead did take things far off into the wrong direction. I don't deny that cults like these existed post 60's CoS, and they were extremely horrific in their crimes.

My point is not that these cults didn't exist or commit extremely heinous crimes, but that "satanic cults" have no history prior to the emergence of LaVey's public début of CoS.

Even the influence of Crowely's O.T.O., and his own obsession with satan as Baphomet, did not generate the ritualistic abuse that was a desperate, often drug-induced, and misguided response to the commercialism of CoS.

I empathise with you, I really do. Being abused by anyone--group or individual--is horribly traumatic. But, enduring the near-cinematic criminal horrors of cults that are focused on such hateful fantasy as the satanic cults that arose in the late 60's has left many people very badly, and often irreversibly, scarred.

Thank you for your compassion. Your reply posts are very worthwhile and educational.

Enid
02-18-2013, 09:16 AM
As I say, I don't dismiss your story. If there is a book about this cult that you encountered and the crimes involved I'd love to read it. If not, I think you should probably be the one to write it.

Writing a book is way out of my league. ...but thank you for your kind words and support.

Greg
02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Thank you for your compassion. Your reply posts are very worthwhile and educational.

One of my goals while I was pursuing a career in psychology (before I quit due to my own psychological burn out) was the extraction and assistance/"deprogramming" of victims of abusive cults, and I had worked for several years with Cult Awareness Network back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I believe that part of the process of gaining control over the trauma in certain cases is to understand the truth behind the people who commit the crimes. It is certainly only a small portion of the process, but i feel it is important.

Much of the information publicised in the news and on television show like Morton Downey was corrupted by the standard propaganda used by most religious groups to lend credence and credibility to opponents and prospective followers, while fuelling the public fear that makes these individuals feel powerful.

For many it is simply a head game played with the public. For some, it becomes an insatiable sickness that destroys the lives of innocent people.

yogibear
02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
my younger sister Crystal had some cancer in her breast. they found a tumor and did some chemo to shrink it down. when it got small enough they surgically removed it. the chemo took its toll and she lost her hair and weight and lots of other things.

This was like a year and half ago. She thought she was getting her life straightened out. She took some classes to change careers and had another job lined up but when she went in for routine checkup they found the cancer had returned or (surprise)they didn't catch all of the first time through. So she was like mad PO'd about the whole thing and thought about going through another round of chemo etal.

She decided to have both breasts removed to be cancer free. she went to UCSF for this surgery on valentine's day. today she is feeling better and lighter except they filled in where the cancerous breasts were with fat and tissue from her waist and abdomen to fill in the area where the breasts were. she just called yesterday to say she went through the surgery (12 hr surgery)and was feeling ok/good. so she is tough and will come out of this with a new job and feeling she is a survivor . all i can do is applaud my sister. and talk to her to keep her spirits up. BRavo!

Vic2012
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Very inspirational Yogi. I'm rooting for your sister.

Enid
02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
One of my goals while I was pursuing a career in psychology (before I quit due to my own psychological burn out) was the extraction and assistance/"deprogramming" of victims of abusive cults, and I had worked for several years with Cult Awareness Network back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I believe that part of the process of gaining control over the trauma in certain cases is to understand the truth behind the people who commit the crimes. It is certainly only a small portion of the process, but i feel it is important.

Much of the information publicised in the news and on television show like Morton Downey was corrupted by the standard propaganda used by most religious groups to lend credence and credibility to opponents and prospective followers, while fuelling the public fear that makes these individuals feel powerful.

For many it is simply a head game played with the public. For some, it becomes an insatiable sickness that destroys the lives of innocent people.

This is truly interesting. Thanks for posting this bit of history on yourself! I know we should..out of consideration to others , e-mail each other ..but sometimes I tend to think that an experience such as mine (40 years old), wouldn't matter to anyone in particular. Eventually I re-traced my history, tracked down the retired police/detectives , interviewed them and they all stuck to the same story or reason behind their investigation in the first place. Much of it was kept out of the newspapers over the years..yet the newspapers hinted that something was covered up. It's really interesting to me that you helped victims and I would love to hear about that experience one day. As you said before...another thread would be the key to communicating with other victims. It's really cool to learn from other victims experiences.

Greg
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
A broken snowmobile lift...my finger is stuck in the lift and the 500 lbs machine is sitting on it...My finger turned intantly blue, some spot I could not feel anymore...I strapped my finger on a piece of wood...it was not broken, but the tendon and the nerves were touched. It quickly became crooked. I was worry it would not comeback, it did, but it took almost a year.

The second incident was with the ATV...I can't find my way out of here...My front tires are half on the road and half over the ditch and I am sinking in the sand...I hear a big crack in my knee and I can barely walk on it. I took a branch to help me walk and made something like 10feet...no way I can walk 5 miles...I hear a car coming followed by an Atv. They helped me out and showed me a new road to get back home which I finally made :-) .

Diagnosis, LCL injury level 2, a month with crutches. For fun, I went back to see where it all happened. If stupid Mr. Simard did not have put his cabin sign on the road I was coming from, I would not have thought it was a private road.

Not to laugh at your injuries, as they are clearly unpleasant, but you and heavy machinery apparently are not meant for each other.

Greg
02-19-2013, 12:04 PM
my younger sister Crystal had some cancer in her breast....

All the best to your sister for health and recovery.

My mother passed away in 1992 from a metastasisation of breast cancer on the thalamus. Unfortunately, not only was the technological advanced enough at the time to eradicate the tumour, but my father was unwilling to pursue drastic treatments until it was too late.

The technology and medical treatments are far more advanced, now. So, I hope your sister is taking full advantage of what's available and beats the cancer.

Lino
02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I wish all the best to those having health issues. :)

I have health issues, but I'll tell you about my injury issues. At age 53, I live with bad pain every day of my life. Some due to stupidity/naivety, most due to my obsession with playing sports.

At age 19 I was in my dad's car and waiting to make a turn...I was struck from behind by another car travelling 30 miles an hour. Sent my car flying 10 yards. Sustained neck injuries that have plagued me for the last 25 years. At the time (here's the stupidity part), I was young, strong, had more interest in continuing sports than a) taking the time to let it heal right, and b) suing their ass off. lol There's not a day that gos by that I don't have pain down both my arms. my sleeps are never comfortable. Headaches. ahhhh.

But of course I never stopped playing sports, always needed to rub shit on my neck and take pain kilers after.

Anyway, here's a list of other injuries I sustained just from playing sports:

- Torn carteledge in knee playing varsity volleyball (1979)
- Ruptured ACL left knee playing varsity soccer (1980) - required total re-construction.
- Broke my nose so bad I needed plastic surgery was diving out to make a save ina soccer game and got kicked with full force right in the shnozz. Instead of resting, I played 2 games with a plaster cast on my nose. :D
- 1981 charged out to punch a ball out of the crease, and some idiot on the other team decided to challenge in the air...I ended up catching half ball and half head. His face was sliced up and he was rushed to hospital (17 stiches, I later found out). I was so worried about him, i didn't notice untill the coach asked "You ok Lino?" from the sidelines...I looked at my hand and a bone was popping out almost piercing the skin lol.
- in the last game of a championship season in 1984, I broke some meta capal bone in my wrist/hand. Cast for 6 weeks, no playoffs. :(
-in 1988, i went out for a cross ball, leaped in the air, caught it, but got undercut by an opposing player. Did a full somersault in the air and landed on my back. After an MIR, I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc. This was probably the worst pain I ever experienced in my life. Untill they operated to remove the disc (the whole process took over 6 months), I couldn't sit down at all...ate all my meals laying down; couldn't drive, massive pain killers 24/7 round the clock.
- after taking 2 years off soccer, I went back, like a fuckingcrack junkie who can't get enough. I tore rotator cuff on right shoulder. That was the final straw, though at age 47 i went back to play 2 years of oldtimers, just not raising my right arm too often. :D
To add minor shit to the above... I broke my nose 2 more times playing soccer, and broke a variety of fingers. I think i was semi-concussed once when i took a knee to the noggin and felt myself black out for a few seconds and was groggy for a couple days after.
Now I walk around feeling like a cripple. But I can't say i wouldn't do it all over again. :)

Yves
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I just gave myself a paper cut! Damn!

Dave (in MA)
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
I have this on my right hand.

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/trigger2.swf

yogibear
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
thanks greg and vic for the support and all the peeps here relaying their stories of courage and endurance and even triumphs. We are all reaching the age when minor things that were overlooked then are now going to have an effect on how your body operates into the middle years and beyond.

I know for myself i did not listen to others who lived these same illnesses and injuries ; its hell to get old i'll tell ya.

Hunnibee
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
So much for my kids' college fund...

Yikes, Rob! I'm really surprised the health care professionals at Urgent Care didn't take special care of your toe, considering you are a Diabetic. I hope it heals and you get to keep it. I'm also sorry to hear of your pnuemonia. No picnic at all! Hope things get better for you as the year progresses.

tom unbound
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
So I'm dead asleep, just barely waking up and...I can't breathe ! I instantly went into panic mode !! I must have instinctively reached for my mouth, and then I pulled out a breathing tube. A corrugated breathing tube I might add. That hurt. I catch my breath, look around, and notice - "I'm in a hospital". A nurse comes rushing in, and the first thing I think of is - "Oh, no, she's going to put the tube back in !!!" So I'm saying in a calm voice 'I can breath, I can breathe good'. I took a couple of obvious breaths to show her things were going good (and I didn't need the tube again !) But she just started fiddling around with something on my chest, and I passed out again. I found out later there was a tube in my chest that went directly into the heart. Seems that the drug(s) used to maintain a chemical coma are too rough on the veins, and need to be immediately diluted. Going thru the paperwork months later I noticed -- "Patient extubated himself, tolerated well" :rofl

markedd
02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
I got head injury lost week when I slipped over the floor.There was lot of bleeding.Unfortunately no one was at home at that time.The healing is fast and I am sure i will be fine soon.
Your story was sad, I can feel your pain.

Brian Griffin
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
The good news is that Alex Trebek doesn't care about your aches and pains, you can still get affordable insurance to help cover final expenses!

BG

JKL2000
02-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Knowing you, you're probably right in there handling paper again.

ItalProgRules
02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Mine is SUD (Serotonin uptake disorder.)

It's a chemical imbalance with different symptoms that affect folks in different ways.

In my case, it messes with my body's ability to regulate its own temperature, and with circadian rhythms, causing chronic insomnia, which no sleeping pill, no matter how strong, can conquer.

So I may be outside working on my car in a snowstorm wearing shorts and a tank top, or wearing thermal underwear in the summer. All after 3-4 hours sleep at the most, night after night after night.

Luckily, this isn't an every-day thing. It comes and goes. And I've had it all my life (you're born with it) so I am used to it and my family and friends are used to it.

There's meds for it, but the effects are worse than the disease. Regular old over-the-counter melatonin helps with the insomnia better than any sleeping pill.

llanwydd
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Mine is SUD (Serotonin uptake disorder.)

It's a chemical imbalance with different symptoms that affect folks in different ways.

In my case, it messes with my body's ability to regulate its own temperature, and with circadian rhythms, causing chronic insomnia, which no sleeping pill, no matter how strong, can conquer.

So I may be outside working on my car in a snowstorm wearing shorts and a tank top, or wearing thermal underwear in the summer. All after 3-4 hours sleep at the most, night after night after night.

Luckily, this isn't an every-day thing. It comes and goes. And I've had it all my life (you're born with it) so I am used to it and my family and friends are used to it.

There's meds for it, but the effects are worse than the disease. Regular old over-the-counter melatonin helps with the insomnia better than any sleeping pill.

I've had chronic insomnia for many years. There is no completely reliable cure for me other than Ambien. I don't know if you have tried that but it might help. Would you tell me how much melatonin you take? I know it is cheaper than Ambien.

Greg
02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Ambien.

I had a girlfriend who was prescribed 10mg Ambien, and it would knock her out so completely, that you could hit her over the head with a bat for eight hours and she wouldn't even notice. So, I tried the same dose, and then twice that, and all it would do is make me drowsy for 20 minutes, after which I'd be more awake than before.

Melatonin worked far better for me.

Would you tell me how much melatonin you take?

You should theoretically *not* take more than 3mg as it actually has the opposite effect. But, your mileage may vary as every individual is a bit different. I'd suggest starting 2 or 3 mg, and playing with it from there.

Melatonin is dirt cheap.

SteveSly
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I've had chronic insomnia for many years. There is no completely reliable cure for me other than Ambien. I don't know if you have tried that but it might help. Would you tell me how much melatonin you take? I know it is cheaper than Ambien.

I have struggled with Insomnia for years. Ambien is the only thing that has done anything for me as well. I have been taking it off and on for about 5 or 6 years now. It is a weird drug though and affects different people differently. I have never had any issues with sleepwalking or any of the other stuff like that that some people report, but if I take it and stay up I will have what I can only describe as “blackouts” where I will not have any memory of the time before I went to bed. Much like pot, Ambien also gives me the munchies. Sometimes I will get up the next day and my stomach will feel like shit because I ate a whole bunch of stuff before I went to bed……..and don’t remember it. The one other thing I have found with Ambien is that the emptier your stomach is when you take it, the better it works. If I have a bunch of food in my stomach Ambien is practically worthless. I can take 2 of them and it will have no effect on a full stomach. If I have a completely empty stomach I can take a half a pill and it will have an impact. Having taken it for as many years I have built up a tolerance to the drug and it does not work as well as it used to, but I still rely on it a lot.

I tried Melatonin years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I had a girlfriend who was prescribed 10mg Ambien, and it would knock her out so completely, that you could hit her over the head with a bat for eight hours and she wouldn't even notice. So, I tried the same dose, and then twice that, and all it would do is make me drowsy for 20 minutes, after which I'd be more awake than before.

Yes, Ambien really depends on the individual. It can be very different for different people. I know others who have had the same experience you have had where the drug is practically useless. Others can take half a dose and it will knock them on their ass. As I mentioned in my other comment, for me taking on an empty vs full stomach makes for a completely different experience. If I have a bunch of food in my stomach Ambien is pretty much worthless.

Steve Sly

llanwydd
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, Ambien really depends on the individual. It can be very different for different people. I know others who have had the same experience you have had where the drug is practically useless. Others can take half a dose and it will knock them on their ass. As I mentioned in my other comment, for me taking on an empty vs full stomach makes for a completely different experience. If I have a bunch of food in my stomach Ambien is pretty much worthless.

Steve Sly

The same for me. Sometimes I will snap an Ambien in half with my fingers if I don't want to take a whole one. As for taking it with food I've noticed that for me the foods that inhibit it the most are milk and dairy products. I don't know why. I prefer to eat after I've taken it. The things I will whip up in the kitchen are sometimes quite unusual when I get the Ambien munchies. And I have had the amnesia experience as well but with me it is very infrequent.

Vic2012
03-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I take Niacin to help me sleep. I used to take Exedrin PM but can't find it anymore. I think it's been discontinued.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
There's Advil PM, you could try that...

Vic2012
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I've tried it. Not the same. Exedrin was the best.

SteveSly
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
The same for me. Sometimes I will snap an Ambien in half with my fingers if I don't want to take a whole one. As for taking it with food I've noticed that for me the foods that inhibit it the most are milk and dairy products. I don't know why. I prefer to eat after I've taken it. The things I will whip up in the kitchen are sometimes quite unusual when I get the Ambien munchies. And I have had the amnesia experience as well but with me it is very infrequent.

Same here, I have whipped up some really obnoxious concoctions under the influence of the stuff. I work 2nd shift and will often have a beer or two with my Ambien when I get home from work. My wife is always already in bed by the time I go to bed, and always gets up before me. A few weeks ago on a Saturday I woke up and my stomach felt like total crap. I went out in the living room and my wife asks “what the hell did you do in the kitchen last night”? I go out in the kitchen and there is flour and sugar all over the counter and the floor. I had mixed up some concoction with flour, sugar, butter, oatmeal and who knows what else, and ate whatever it ended up being. The bowl was still in the sink, the evidence all over the kitchen, but I did not remember any of it. I have had things like this happen several times on the drug, especially if I take it on a totally empty stomach, with a beer, and I don’t go to bed right away. I have also woken up the next day sometimes and found that I have posted things on Facebook or on this forum that I don’t remember at all. Sometimes it has been a bit embarrassing.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
03-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I've tried it. Not the same. Exedrin was the best.

Most of the over the counter sleep drugs use the same active ingredient. It is basically an antihistamine that makes you drowsy (similar to Benadryl or Nyquil). Before I got my Ambien prescription I used to try to use these sometimes, but although they did sometimes help me sleep, I always got a hangover effect from them and felt really groggy the next day. That is one of the big advantages of Ambien in that it leaves the body very quickly so there is no hangover effect like you have with other sleep medications.

Steve Sly

Gladiator1634
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM

As I was reading all the serious and sad post and came across this I just had to laugh.

But on a more serious level I feel for a lot of you with your uncomfortable conditions. I've been struggling with back problems for many years. Two surgeries and 5 levels of the lower lumbar area fused in the last ten years. I'm in pain everyday and on and off pain killers constantly trying not get addicted. At this point I can't even play golf.

The positive side of all of this is that I have very good medical coverage and its not life threatening.
And the ears are still pretty good so I have my music ;)

Vic2012
03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
It is basically an antihistamine that makes you drowsy (similar to Benadryl or Nyquil)

Yeah I know, but Exedrin PM just did the trick. I stopped taking that stuff for a long time. I was dependent on it.

But anyway, Niacin makes me drowsy but doesn't keep me asleep. I take the stuff that flushes you and makes you hot. I take about 1500-2000 miligrams every other day. It really helps.

I'm cracking up about you guys who take Ambien and get the munchies. I'd rather smoke pot. It puts a big big stupid grin on my face, music sounds better, and conversation is deeper |).

progeezer
03-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I've got so much shit that bothers me physically that is simply endemic to my age. Low back problems, pinched ulnar nerve on left side, digestive dances, bunions, dry skin that also bruises very easily (been taking a blood thinner for 24 years).

"Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse" does have its merits!:D

JKL2000
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
One question for the people who've tried Ambien without success: do you take it when you're already in bed, or do you take it before and hope you'll soon feel tired? Because as I understand it, it works best if you get in bed prepared for sleep and take it then.

Vic2012
03-02-2013, 06:21 AM
I've got so much shit that bothers me physically that is simply endemic to my age.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I'm in my 50s now (I'm 55). Ever since I stopped doing all these power lifting routines and just started doing cardio I feel like a million bucks. I'm down to about 190lbs. I'd like to lose 10-12. I doubt I'll ever get off the high blood pressure and cholesteral meds but that's okay. I may have to talk to my doctor about my smokeless tobacco habit though. I keep telling myself - "I can quit anytime I want." I've been saying that for 20 years. I think it's mostly a psychological addiction.

walt
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Tooth troubles have been the bane of my existence these last couple of years.Im paying the price(quite literally) for decades of poor diet, stuffing my maw with candy,cookies and other sugary crap.

Luckily, i've cooled out on candy and crap over the last couple of years, and i was able to get my blood glucose down to where my doctor doesn't feel the need to put me on type 2 diabetes meds, which was (is) a great relief, and shows me that i CAN make improvements in my lifestyle/diet that will benefit me.

Still need to lose weight and get my BP down,but i'm getting there, in another 30 or 40 years i may just get down to optimal weight and BP.;)

To the younger folks, take care of your teeth.As i mentioned above,i have sick choppers,and i've spent thousands of bucks last year, and more thousands to come this year on posts, crowns, root canals, fillings, cleanings and other assorted procedures.It sucks rhino ass.

I can't handle the tooth!!

Yves
03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Knowing you, you're probably right in there handling paper again.

Someone's gotta count the money!

Shadow
03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I've had a cold for a little over a week, but am starting to feel a little better now. In lieu of flowers, just make a donation to Audiophile Imports in my name.

Thank you

tom unbound
03-02-2013, 03:12 PM
"Mine is SUD (Serotonin uptake disorder.)" Wow ! Sounds like me. The insomnia part is a bitch ! I tried Ambien, but I didn't like it at all. My only relief is the herbal remedy. X)
Back to my hospital story....(Last one, I promise !). Nerve damage is a bitch ! I was in a chem coma for almost a week, and they had my arm tied to the bed probably for the IV's and because of the punctured lung drain tube and broken collarbone. You know how your arm can 'fall asleep' ? Well that's what happened. My arm was in one of those positions, and it was probably there for all that time. I thought it was because of the accident, but both my arms will fall asleep at that angle. Pinched nerve maybe ? So the two smaller fingers and half of my left hand are affected. It's really weird. It's numb, and half asleep with the 'pins and needles' feeling running full blast. BUT , at the same time , it is so super sensitive I can feel a ceiling fan blowing 20 feet away. The other aches and pains were not too bad, but for this I needed meds. No sleeping possible. Vikoden 750 ES did the trick. they toned down the hand so I could sleep, without feeling buzzed all the time. After a month or so I was breaking them in half. Just for sleeping . It was probably a year, at least, before I stopped noticing it bothering me EVERY DAY. Major healing milestone for me. It's been 7 years since then, and I can still feel it. My physical therapy is using it for driving all the time. Still weak. Still getting better. --- Back then a friend noticed my bottle of 120 pills. "I'll give you $300 for them right now !". I laughed and told him I would, but I really need them! :rofl

llanwydd
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
One question for the people who've tried Ambien without success: do you take it when you're already in bed, or do you take it before and hope you'll soon feel tired? Because as I understand it, it works best if you get in bed prepared for sleep and take it then.

For some it works immediately. For me it is pretty quick but not immediate. I'll just take it and go to bed. Sometimes I might watch television for up to a half hour before I start dropping off but it usually works faster than that. Frequently I will take a couple of Lindor Truffles to bed with me and eat them slowly while I'm waiting for the effect. Ambien is kind of a "happy pill" for me as well as a sleeping pill. The troubles of the day are gone and nothing in the world bothers me.

meimjustalawnmower
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I may have to talk to my doctor about my smokeless tobacco habit though. I keep telling myself - "I can quit anytime I want." I've been saying that for 20 years. I think it's mostly a psychological addiction.
Oh, it's most definitely a physical addiction, but it was also something that I really enjoyed. I did that shit for 11 years and quit cold fucking turkey in 1996 when I started to get worried about what could happen. Right now, as I'm typing this, I can taste that stuff and I wanna just head out to the QuickTrip and get some. But I won't.

JKL2000
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Sometimes I might watch television for up to a half hour before I start dropping off but it usually works faster than that. Frequently I will take a couple of Lindor Truffles to bed with me and eat them slowly while I'm waiting for the effect.

LOL. That's kind of...cute.

Ambien is kind of a "happy pill" for me as well as a sleeping pill. The troubles of the day are gone and nothing in the world bothers me.

See, I think that's sort of the problem with some people. They want to stay up and enjoy the high from Ambien. Which is ok (as long as they don't do anything wacky), but if they then complain it's not putting them to sleep, it's probably starting to lose some of its effect before they actually go to bed.

Of course, some people are saying it just has no effect on them, so that's different I guess.

SteveSly
03-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I'm in my 50s now (I'm 55). Ever since I stopped doing all these power lifting routines and just started doing cardio I feel like a million bucks. I'm down to about 190lbs. I'd like to lose 10-12. I doubt I'll ever get off the high blood pressure and cholesteral meds but that's okay. I may have to talk to my doctor about my smokeless tobacco habit though. I keep telling myself - "I can quit anytime I want." I've been saying that for 20 years. I think it's mostly a psychological addiction.

I can't lift heavy weights any more. I get too much pain in my joints, especially my wrists. I have done some level of working out with weights for years and it has taken a toll, especially on the wrists. Today I do lighter weights with more reps. It does not build muscle as well, but I have a lot less chronic pain.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Ambien is kind of a "happy pill" for me as well as a sleeping pill. The troubles of the day are gone and nothing in the world bothers me.

Yea, for me it is similar, especially if I take with a nice micro-brew or two. I will often stay up for a while after taking it. Back when I first started taking it I would eventually nod off, but these days that never happens unless I actually go to bed.

Steve Sly

JKL2000
03-03-2013, 01:36 AM
We're all getting so old that soon we're all going to start keeping a bowl of hard candy on our coffee tables. Damn!

Vic2012
03-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Oh, it's most definitely a physical addiction, but it was also something that I really enjoyed. I did that shit for 11 years and quit cold fucking turkey in 1996 when I started to get worried about what could happen. Right now, as I'm typing this, I can taste that stuff and I wanna just head out to the QuickTrip and get some. But I won't.

No doubt that it's a physical addiction but for me I'd say it's 60-70 percent psychological. It's just a nervous habit, like chewing gum or smoking cigs. I've thought of buying that nicotine gum but I just don't feel like spending 35-40 dollars on a pack of gum. At some point I'll just make up my mind and I'll have to quit cold turkey. It's like I keep looking for an excuse to keep dipping. Well, if I get gum desease that'll be a good enough excuse to quit.

Vic2012
03-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I can't lift heavy weights any more. I get too much pain in my joints, especially my wrists. I have done some level of working out with weights for years and it has taken a toll, especially on the wrists. Today I do lighter weights with more reps. It does not build muscle as well, but I have a lot less chronic pain.

Steve Sly

I've had a pain in my left wrist for many years due to weight training from many years ago. I used to use these wrist straps to deadlift heavy weights off the floor. I had the strength in my back and legs but my wrists were week, so I must've stretched something there mecause some days my thumb is really stiff and there's this pain right where the wrist and base of the thumb meet. All I do is light lifting and do lots of reps. I mostly use machines now too. I'm not even concerned about building muscle. At this age just staying toned is more than good enough. If anything I wouldn't mind losing some muscle mass. I see old guys in their 40s and 50s still banging around heavy weights and I wonder if they know the damage they're doing to themselves.

Right now my main routines are on 3 cardio machines. Yesterday I did an hour on a treadmill. That was my workout. I walk/run for 30 minutes then I walk on an incline for another 30. By the time I was done I was raining sweat. Today I'll get on this Nordic Track type of thing that really kicks my ass. Tomorrow it'll be the Stairmaster. That is, without doubt the best cardio workout of all (well, that's the best I can do at this gym. If I could use a lap pool I'd swim and never touch weights again). But I'm with you, weights can be dangerous especially at this age.

progeezer
03-03-2013, 08:39 AM
We're all getting so old that soon we're all going to start keeping a bowl of hard candy on our coffee tables. Damn!As if anyone other than a very specific theological, cultural & geographical small segment of the population will understand that joke.:roll:D

Hint: I do

Greg
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
No doubt that it's a physical addiction but for me I'd say it's 60-70 percent psychological. It's just a nervous habit, like chewing gum or smoking cigs. I've thought of buying that nicotine gum but I just don't feel like spending 35-40 dollars on a pack of gum. At some point I'll just make up my mind and I'll have to quit cold turkey. It's like I keep looking for an excuse to keep dipping. Well, if I get gum desease that'll be a good enough excuse to quit.

While there are certainly physical effects that can be pleasant, I've never believed in the addiction to cigarettes being physical. I smoked more than 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and quit within a month; never going back, and never feeling the "need" to.

The most difficult thing for me was finding something else to do with my time. Occupying my fidgety mind during those moments when having a cigarette was "just the thing I needed" was a big hurdle. I also found myself with a muscle memory that had me putting an imaginary cigarette to my lips when I got bored or anxious, but the craving was to fill the void in activity, not to satisfy a chemical demand that could not be overcome with a sufficient distraction.

Finding that "healthy thing to do" that is sufficiently distracting, and EASY enough to do when that craving arises ("easy" is very important), is not only tricky, but it's different for every individual.

I can't lift heavy weights any more. I get too much pain in my joints, especially my wrists.

I've had a pain in my left wrist for many years due to weight training from many years ago... All I do is light lifting and do lots of reps... At this age just staying toned is more than good enough... I see old guys in their 40s and 50s still banging around heavy weights and I wonder if they know the damage they're doing to themselves.

I'm not even sure what's causing my upper arm and rotator cuff pains. I'm pretty certain it's not a tear as most of the pain is in the brachialis/brachioradialus right now, radiating up through the biceps long head and medial deltoid insertions. I've had to lay off any lifting for a few weeks just to give it something of a chance to settle down. I've never been into heavy lifting, though. I think adding too much bulk to my tiny frame would make me look like some alien from the Jersey Shore.

But, I get more injuries from sparring and training with bad partners than I do from lifting.

The distal phalange on my left pinky is broken from sparring last Monday, and the nail bed is nice and pitch-black. I just hope the nail doesn't decide to run away from me for a permanent vacation.

tom unbound
03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
We're all getting so old that soon we're all going to start keeping a bowl of hard candy on our coffee tables. Damn!
AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Reminds me of my Grandparent's house !!!! (No candy bowls here - yet !)

(I'm not aware of what Progeezer is hinting at... I just thought it was something - pardon the expression- 'old people' did !?!

Vic2012
03-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I also found myself with a muscle memory that had me putting an imaginary cigarette to my lips when I got bored or anxious,

Yeah, I keep the can in my front, right pocket. A few months ago I decided to quit cold turkey. I lasted a little over 24 hours, but the funny thing was something didn't feel right. I kept checking my pocket for the imaginary can of dip in my pocket that wasn't there for those 24 hours. It's the same thing as feeling a phantom phone vibration. Before smartphones I used to carry my celly in a case clipped to my belt. I always had it on vibrate so I got used to that sensation. And I can imagine the funny jokes that'll follow that :lol.

progeezer
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Reminds me of my Grandparent's house !!!! (No candy bowls here - yet !)

(I'm not aware of what Progeezer is hinting at... I just thought it was something - pardon the expression- 'old people' did !?!I may have been making a bit of a sweeping generalization there:lol.

I (like JKL) am Jewish & grew up in the NYC area. While growing up, and in the 42 years since I've lived in the primarily non-Jewish heartland, I've known a lot of "old" people (long before I myself qualified). I can't recall EVER ONCE seeing a candy dish with hard candy on the coffee table in ANY house that wasn't inhabited by Jews.

Props to your grandparents, Tom!;):lol

Brian Griffin
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I may have been making a bit of a sweeping generalization there:lol.

I (like JKL) am Jewish & grew up in the NYC area. While growing up, and in the 42 years since I've lived in the primarily non-Jewish heartland, I've known a lot of "old" people (long before I myself qualified). I can't recall EVER ONCE seeing a candy dish with hard candy on the coffee table in ANY house that wasn't inhabited by Jews.

Funny stuff

My Mom in law is 80, moved her east from Vegas back in Nov, set her up in a rental condo across from me

She converted to Judaism with her marriage, however she's a widow at this stage

She has a dish of hard candy on her coffee table!

BG

progeezer
03-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Funny stuff

My Mom in law is 80, moved her east from Vegas back in Nov, set her up in a rental condo across from me

She converted to Judaism with her marriage, however she's a widow at this stage

She has a dish of hard candy on her coffee table!

BGConverted Jews count!;)

walt
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
My grandma Rose(RIP) had a clear glass(crystal?) dish with hard candy in it,in the living room of her apartment on Gun Hill Road in The Bronx.I don't recall anyone eating a single one of those hard candies..........ever.

*I, too, am a NY Jew(lapsed).Lived(live) in NYC all my life.

progeezer
03-03-2013, 03:10 PM
They're coming out of the woodwork, folks!:p

meimjustalawnmower
03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
While there are certainly physical effects that can be pleasant, I've never believed in the addiction to cigarettes being physical. I smoked more than 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and quit within a month; never going back, and never feeling the "need" to.
Well you're denying that nicotine is physically addictive. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. That you were able to curb your dependency as quickly as you did is fortunate, albeit not common. Of course, three packs a day is nearly an insane amount of consumption, which quite frankly could come back to bite you in the ass later.

progeezer
03-04-2013, 12:12 AM
:O:O Holy shit, Dave, I bow to your superior list of maladies!;)

Jerjo
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I hate to burst the bubble but I grew up as a third generation Norwegian/Swede in the upper Midwest (yah sure, you betcha then). My grandparents had hard candy out for guests and both families had been Lutheran for 400 years. My wife is German and her grandparents and even some of the next generation always had hard candy set out as well.

meimjustalawnmower
03-04-2013, 12:25 AM
I hate to burst the bubble but I grew up as a third generation Norwegian/Swede in the upper Midwest (yah sure, you betcha then).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu6_mJiVAo

Vic2012
03-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I have broken, through various falls, biking accidents and sports mishaps as well as drunken bravado:

Good lord you sound like you're lucky to be alive. I've had a few spills on bicycles myself but nothing real serious, and I've never worn a helmet. I think if you're carefull and use some common sense a helmet is not necessary. I'm not saying children shouldn't use helmets today, but how'd we get through it back then without those dorky helmets? I mean, we all grew up on bikes. I had a Stingray, a 3 speed, and eventually moved up to 10 speeds. Never, ever have I used a helmet. Now, one thing I've never done is conducted a motorcycle. I've ridden on one as a passenger but never driven one. I've talked myself out of buying motorcycles a few times. I wasn't gonna ride 'em when I was young, and now I might be a shade old to be even thinking about that.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
H'mmmm. My grandparents were Christians (Grandfather Roman Catholic; Grandmother Russian Orthodox), and they always had the bowl of hard candy in the living room. This was in New York, for what it's worth.

tom unbound
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: Hard candy- My grandparents were of German origin a couple generations ago. (Roman Catholic) Lived in Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. I thinking - maybe more of a German thing than Jewish ??

HEY ! Proggers in Germany ! Anyone with hard candy on their coffee tables out there ?? ;)

Greg
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: Hard candy- ...I thinking - maybe more of a German thing than Jewish ??

I'm not so sure it's just a "German" or "Jewish" thing.

Although, my grandparents, and their parents, from Russia, hard COFFEE candy on the coffee table; which, now that I think about it, seems a bit too logically obvious to have been a successful attempt at "funny". And, my grandparents from Romania had hard candy in dishes in more than one place in the living room. All of them Jewish.

The American-born relatives of an Irish-born girl I dated, also had hard candy in dishes in the living room. I don't remember what her parents, in Ireland, had in their living room, but I remember they didn't have a coffee table.

How did "maladies" spawn "candy dishes"?

Camelogue
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I have tendon problems in my elbow.

tom unbound
03-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Hard candy ruined my teeth. ;)

yogibear
03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
hard candy made me have to get false teeth. ;)

Dave (in MA)
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I just had one of these (http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/silent-migraine.html) that lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. It looked exactly like the picture.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
03-08-2013, 07:46 PM
^^^A cockatoo?

Dave (in MA)
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
^^^A cockatoo? Oops, like this (http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/first-occular-migraine.html). I had the right site but the wrong page.

That's not a cockatoo; it's an african grey with a fuzzy cat toy on her head.

llanwydd
03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Here is an update on my condition that I told you about in the first post of this thread. I'm in need of some good advice if anyone can give any.
I went to my podiatrist this past Tuesday for x-rays on my broken foot. He showed them to me and said "Well, you're making good progress. Just keep wearing the orthopedic boot for another two weeks. You won't need to see me again".
I was rather alarmed when I looked at the x-ray. At the point where the bone had been broken it showed a rather large space between two joints that are supposed to be together. One of the bones looked rather crooked as well. So I went to the ER this morning to look at the x-rays that had been taken the morning after I had my injury. I was given copies. Those x-rays show my foot looking as if there is no abnormality whatever. There is no question in my mind that I have gotten worse. I believe my toe is dislocated. I am very upset and worried that I will never walk normally again. The problem of course is that the podiatrist says he is done with me. I had enough trouble finding a doctor I could afford in the first place. If anyone has any knowledge of these things or can point me toward any source of help, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Greg
03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
See an orthopaedic surgeon, or two, for second/third opinions. Bring both sets of X-ray films. The new doctors may take their own films to cover their arses (which is a good thing).

llanwydd
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
See an orthopaedic surgeon, or two, for second/third opinions. Bring both sets of X-ray films. The new doctors may take their own films to cover their arses (which is a good thing).

Sounds like good advice. I acquired the podiatrist's x-rays this afternoon. Cost me $10. Probably a wise move. Thanks.

Progmatic
03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Here is an update on my condition that I told you about in the first post of this thread. I'm in need of some good advice if anyone can give any.
I went to my podiatrist this past Tuesday for x-rays on my broken foot. He showed them to me and said "Well, you're making good progress. Just keep wearing the orthopedic boot for another two weeks. You won't need to see me again".
I was rather alarmed when I looked at the x-ray. At the point where the bone had been broken it showed a rather large space between two joints that are supposed to be together. One of the bones looked rather crooked as well. So I went to the ER this morning to look at the x-rays that had been taken the morning after I had my injury. I was given copies. Those x-rays show my foot looking as if there is no abnormality whatever. There is no question in my mind that I have gotten worse. I believe my toe is dislocated. I am very upset and worried that I will never walk normally again. The problem of course is that the podiatrist says he is done with me. I had enough trouble finding a doctor I could afford in the first place. If anyone has any knowledge of these things or can point me toward any source of help, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

If you have concerns take your x-rays and go to other doctor for second opinion. Seriously!
As far as getting worse what you may be experiencing is after injury problems with the scars tissue and ligaments. Doctors priority is to fix break and they do immobilize the joints and take the pressure of the muscles and ligaments surrounding injury. However you may have all sorts of inner scars and ligaments issues around break that heal in the static position and therefore they tend to get really stiff. Once you try to use them you are likely to experience real pain that could be worse than break itself. That is where physiotherapy specialists making their living.

Btw I spent 2 years on my life in the cast, due to 2x leg (fibula) breaks , triple open arm break and torn ACLs. I have no ACLs in my knees and I may need replacement soon. Life is Good :D

Vic2012
03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Btw I spent 2 years on my life in the cast, due to 2x leg (fibula) breaks ,

Youch! I spent 2 months in a body cast as a kid. I might've told this story already but what the heck. I was 7 years old. My mom and I were walking across a busy street. My mother takes my hand and I jerked it away because I thought I was a "big boy who shouldn't be holding mommy's hand to cross the street" :lol. Well, I darted in front of her and the next thing I remember is hearing a screech and the world turning topsy turvey. The good news was I only broke my leg (right femur, the thigh bone?). Spent a total of three months in the hospital. To a 7 year old 3 months might've well have been 3 years. 2 of those months were spent in a body cast. It was pretty humiliating back then. I can't even imagine how humiliating it would be as an adult.

Shadow
03-16-2013, 08:16 AM
I had some gas pains this morning, but I'm feeling much better now.

Yanks2014
03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
I was in the hospital AGAIN! Went in Tuesday, came home Friday. Irregular heart beat, better know as A-fib or atrial fibrillation. It's something I deal with from time to time. The good news is that they confirmed I have no blood clots and no blockages in my arteries, thanks to an ultrasound on my legs and a nuclear stress test. Just a tweak of my meds, hopefully that does the trick. I hate dealing with this, its hard to plan anything since I don't know how my health will be. God willing, I'll be at Rosfest, and can make the Hiromi concert I plan on attending in April, plus the ballgames I have tickets for this summer. That's all I think about really, being able to get out of the house. Plus I don't want to miss more work.

Vic2012
03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Hoping the best for you Yanks. Hang in there. :up

Yanks2014
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Hoping the best for you Yanks. Hang in there. :up

Thanks. It's been a rough start to 2013 for me, I'm hoping to feel more myself as the weather warms up.

Vic2012
03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
as the weather warms up.

Yeah, the mornings here in Miami have been downright cold. It gets down to 70 and we all turn blue. Can't wait for the sick humidity of Southern Florida in July and August.

JKL2000
03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
My grandma Rose(RIP) had a clear glass(crystal?) dish with hard candy in it,in the living room of her apartment on Gun Hill Road in The Bronx.I don't recall anyone eating a single one of those hard candies..........ever.

*I, too, am a NY Jew(lapsed).Lived(live) in NYC all my life.

Yeah, the idea is that no one eats them and they gradually stick together into one, big hard candy.

Progmatic
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I had some gas pains this morning, but I'm feeling much better now.

...maybe just the wind under your wings...

yogibear
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
"Irregular heart beat, better know as A-fib or atrial fibrillation" this is something i've had my entire life but until about 10 yrs ago I never knew i had it. went to the best cardio doctors in northern utah and they couldn't fix it with the thing called cardio version its where they try to shock your heart back into a regular rhythm.

Yanks2014
03-19-2013, 07:56 PM
"Irregular heart beat, better know as A-fib or atrial fibrillation" this is something i've had my entire life but until about 10 yrs ago I never i had it. went to the best cardio doctors in northern utah and they couldn't fix it with the thing called cardio version its where they try to shock your heart back into a regular rhythm.

They mentioned possibly setting off my defibrillator to get that regular rhythm, and I wouldn't be awake for it thank goodness. I had that happen once on it's own, and I never want to experience it again while awake. I have all my followup appointments set, 3 different heart doctors, so I'm in good hands. Two of them are at the Univ. of Pennsylvania in Phily, unfortunately not the same day. Then I go back to one of them in the fall. So I have 5 trips to PA this year, thankfully 2 of them are just music related, Rosfest in May and Hackett in October.

NeonKnight
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Could this be the Holy Grail in the fight against cancer?

One Drug to Shrink All Tumors (http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/03/one-drug-to-shrink-all-tumors.html?ref=hp)

Chuck AzEee!
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I have had a strange stomach ailment that my wife's doctor told me was a stomach flu last month. But as of this past Tuesday, I left my apartment for work and how i made it to work is a miracle in itself. I had dizziness, nausea and near fainting like symptoms. I went back to the doctor who scheduled a sonogram to be done on my abdomen region tomorrow afternoon.

Yanks2014
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
A minor update, I had an ultrasound to check out my gallbladder. Nothing bad, just a couple very small polyps, which were there a couple years ago too. At this point, I don't think anything needs to be done. Next week I have appointments with 2 different heart doctors, so I'm making sure I keep a close eye on all my issues. I had some sharp pains in the chest a couple days ago, but nothing sustained. Its scary when it happens though, but usually I feel fine shortly after. Today is a better day for sure. I need to feel a whole lot better by May 3rd, in time for Rosfest. Otherwise I'll stay home. I am optimistic though.

walt
03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Seems to be the season for sonograms of abdomens.I've had stomach aches,mostly mild to moderate for a month or so;went to my doctor,he took blood, tests came back negative.He put me on Nexium for a week,thinking i may have acid reflux.Nexium didn't help,so he sent me to the gastro-enterologist,who sent me for an abdominal sonogram, which shows gallstones.The gastro-ent thinks the gallstones are the source of my stomach problems and probably i'll need my gallbladder removed.I see the doctor next week and we'll decide about what's what.

Gallbladder..i don't need no stinkin' gallbladder.......

Hunnibee
04-01-2013, 02:47 AM
I haven't had a gallbladder since 1987 and I'm still here! :D

Dave (in MA)
04-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a hangnail.

Yanks2014
04-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I haven't had a gallbladder since 1987 and I'm still here! :D

I'm finding a lot of people I know who had theirs removed. In my case it doesn't look like I'll have it removed. I was kind of hoping that was the reason behind my stomache issues.

Yanks2014
04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
OK, finally having my irregular heartbeat treated. I'm having a cardioversion Friday morning. This is where they try to shock my heart into a normal rhythm. Wish me well.

Shadow
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
OK, finally having my irregular heartbeat treated. I'm having a cardioversion Friday morning. This is where they try to shock my heart into a normal rhythm. Wish me well.

Put on some neo-prog, that will lull your heart right to sleep. ;)

progeezer
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Put on some neo-prog, that will lull your heart right to sleep. ;)Also avoid fusion as it triggers irregular heartbeats.

Best of luck, Thomas:up

JKL2000
04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Best wishes, Thomas.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Good luck, man.

JKL2000
04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Right about now Thomas heart is probably beating in 7/8 for a few bars, just to mess with the doctors...

Yanks2014
04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Right about now Thomas heart is probably beating in 7/8 for a few bars, just to mess with the doctors...

It was, good description! I just got back from the hospital, it went well. But I'm tired and horribly groggy. I'll post again when I'm fully awake.

Dave (in MA)
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM

So, your pulse is basically a Bruford, but they're trying to make it a Ringo. Good luck!

JKL2000
04-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Glad it went well, Thomas. You weren't awake for that , were you?

Yanks2014
04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
No, they put me under thankfully. And for about 5 minutes, its a very quick procedure. While recovering they were performing the same thing on another patient, the 3rd one that morning, pretty common actually. I was kind of out of it the rest of the day, and not quite myself even on Saturday. I think overall it helped, but I really need to improve more. Today I'm at work, and so far so good. What sucks is I had planned on seeing a Hiromi concert this Saturday in NYC. I think I have to pass on that. Rosfest, well I'm keeping my hopes up it will still happen. I have a followup with my cardiologist on Wednesday, I'll see how he thinks I'm doing. And I have a full echo-cardigram on Monday. If the results are good, I get to enjoy my trip to Gettysburg and great music. If not, I'll be an insufferable prick to be around. Yes, worse than normal, :lol.

Dave (in MA)
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM

<==== I have a cut on my nose 'cause she bit me.

Shadow
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM

<==== I have a cut on my nose 'cause she bit me.

Hey dude, that's the last time that bird is going to bite your nose.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_dMADscyPIt4aiU_OyR2Jva4I3GNM5 WgwTsPGCRLzDBUy3kuudA

Vic2012
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
:lol:lol

tom unbound
04-16-2013, 04:58 PM
"Unlike the Norwegien Blue, the Greater Sulfur Crested African Grey can occasionally get a little ornery." ;)

Dave (in MA)
04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
http://www.fossilsonline.com/images/SquidBeak04.jpg

It won't happen again.

Yanks2014
04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Well the Doctor visit didn't go as well as I hoped, I'm back in a-fib. I feel a little better than before the procedure, but still not great. Am I going to Rosfest still? Hopefully. I did ask my cardiologist about going away, and he had no problem with it at all. But I will need to behave myself, in terms of food and drink, and getting enough sleep. It will be a challange, but I NEED to get away, and Rosfest should still be wonderful.

yogibear
04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
i spoke earlier about my sister getting her breasts removed. update/follow up about her condition showed that she had the cancer go into her lymph system. the report/diagnosis seems to be that it can be caught/stopped without much further spreading. damn can she ever catch a break? i'm saddened by this news she has had a hard life as all of us in the family has had but none of us has had to contend with cancer and she was the youngest out of all four of us (two boys and two girls with the gals being the youngest in our family)

Yanks2014
04-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I thought I would mention that the next step will likely be drug therapy to get my heart back to a normal rhythm. So a few days ago I was talking to a co-worker and fellow prog fan -there are 3 of us here. He had burned me a copy of Oblivion Sun's latest -yes, I plan on buying it. While talking, I told him of my health issues. Well small world, he's going through the same thing, and in fact is scheduled for that drug therapy next week. He knew exactly what I'm going through and was very knowledgable on the subject, very comforting.

Yanks2014
04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
the report/diagnosis seems to be that it can be caught/stopped without much further spreading. damn can she ever catch a break?

If that is true, that may be the break she needs.

JKL2000
04-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I once knew a girl who suffered from a case of Cloudy Yang:

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Cloudy_Yang/15755

Dave the Brave
05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm going to bring this thread back to life for a while.

I have been experiencing a fair amount of chronic pain lately in my feet from Osteoarthritis.

Trying to avoid taking pain killers since I do enough damage to my liver from drinking.

I've been thinking of taking a supplement called SierraSil and wonder if anyone here has had any luck with this product, or knows anyone who has.

Thanks for any advice.

D t B

JKL2000
05-06-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm going to bring this thread back to life for a while.

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Dave in da house!!

I have been experiencing a fair amount of chronic pain lately in my feet from Osteoarthritis.

Trying to avoid taking pain killers since I do enough damage to my liver from drinking.

I've been thinking of taking a supplement called SierraSil and wonder if anyone here has had any luck with this product, or knows anyone who has.

Thanks for any advice.

D t B

I'm not familiar with Osteoarthritis, but I have had Plantar Fasciitis, and if this is at all related, one thing that helped and felt really good was (the doctor had recommended this) keeping a can (like a can of beans or whatever) by your bed, and first shing when you wake up in the morning, roll the can under your foot, pretty hard, for a minute. Helps stretch out the tendon that's in there.

Shadow
05-06-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm not familiar with Osteoarthritis, but I have had Plantar Fasciitis, and if this is at all related, one thing that helped and felt really good was (the doctor had recommended this) keeping a can (like a can of beans or whatever) by your bed, and first shing when you wake up in the morning, roll the can under your foot, pretty hard, for a minute. Helps stretch out the tendon that's in there.

I've had that, but I always called it heel or bone spurs. Last year I spent over $400 for a pair of orthotics. You know what actually worked better than them, the tennis shoes with the curved heel. I picked up a couple pair at the Goodwill for no more than $10 a pair. They are Sketcher Shape-Ups and practically brand new. People must not like them but they keep the weight off your heel when you walk. Now my heel feels fine in just regular shoes.

Dave the Brave
05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
The problem is a lot of inflammation just where the big toe meets the rest of the foot.

At first I thought that I had gout but the doc tested for high uric acid levels and x-rayed the affected area and diagnosed arthritis as my uric acid levels were normal.

Thanks for the advice guys.

D t B

JKL2000
05-07-2013, 11:19 AM
I've had that, but I always called it heel or bone spurs. Last year I spent over $400 for a pair of orthotics. You know what actually worked better than them, the tennis shoes with the curved heel. I picked up a couple pair at the Goodwill for no more than $10 a pair. They are Sketcher Shape-Ups and practically brand new. People must not like them but they keep the weight off your heel when you walk. Now my heel feels fine in just regular shoes.

My wife buys something called Masai Walking Shoes which look just like those, but are way more expensive. I'll have to tell her to try the Sketchers!

I think spurs are different - they're some kind of actual growth on the bone, whereas Plantar Fasciitis is inflammation of the tendon that runs down the length of the foot.

Hunnibee
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I have new health insurance through my new job... yay! First thing I'm going to do is have a doctor look at my knees. I want an official diagnosis of arthritis so I can start on some kind of pain therapy. Advil is okay, but my knees have more of an ache, not always a sharp pain. I am working on some serious weight loss, now that I live where I can hike most of the year, but my knees were screaming even when I was slimmer. Two years ago, I had to use a cane to walk. I don't want to go back to that. I will consider using a hiking pole, though, once I hit the trails in June.

JKL2000
05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
^ Hey, I didn't know you got a job. That's great!

Shadow
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
My wife buys something called Masai Walking Shoes which look just like those, but are way more expensive. I'll have to tell her to try the Sketchers!

I think spurs are different - they're some kind of actual growth on the bone, whereas Plantar Fasciitis is inflammation of the tendon that runs down the length of the foot.

New Sketchers are probably 80-90 dollars. I usually pop in the Goodwill stores on senior day and get 20% off. ;)

Shadow
05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
The problem is a lot of inflammation just where the big toe meets the rest of the foot.

At first I thought that I had gout but the doc tested for high uric acid levels and x-rayed the affected area and diagnosed arthritis as my uric acid levels were normal.

Thanks for the advice guys.

D t B

Last year I had what looked like a splinter or sliver of metal in the ball of my left foot. It hurt so bad from the ball all through the big toe, but not constantly. I tried digging it out but couldn't get a good shot at it. I had my oldest daughter who is a vet take a crack at it. I think she got most out but the pain was still there. I went to my podiatrist and he spray numbed it and dug at it for about 30 seconds and said all done. It was a clogged sweat gland causing all that pain. I don't think he even charged me, or took what the insurance paid if he even billed them.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Fun times.

I had a tooth go out on me three weeks ago. It needed root canal and that had to be done in two parts. Because of schedule conflicts I couldn't get the second part done until this Monday, so I lived on ibuprofen (by day) and codeine (by night) for two weeks.

Finally got it done, was going to be pain free -- and sinus infection.

Sigh.

Dave the Brave
05-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Last year I had what looked like a splinter or sliver of metal in the ball of my left foot. \.

Could be that you were abducted by aliens and it was a tracking implant. :>)

D t B

-=RTFR666=-
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
My ongoing medical saga is finally concluding. Had to check in to ER on Jan 18 for severe staph infection to foot, with emergency debridement of infected area on Jan 20. In the meantime the idiot "hospitalist" assigned my case convinced herself that I was suffering from renal failure, and embarked on a misdiagnosis for such that included overinfusion of fluids during my stay and, later in the week, overinjection of the wrong type of insulin resulting in hypoglycemic shock. I was discharged carrying almost 50 lbs in excess weight consisting mainly of infused fluids that had me swollen from the abdominal cavity down to my toes to the proportions of the Michelin Man.

Four days after discharge I collapsed from full pulmonary failure as a result of the overinfused fluids seeping into the chest cavity in combination with Respiratory Syncytial Virus that I contracted from the previous week's hospital stay (the "hospitalist" assigned me to share a room with an elderly patient who had the same last name as me - so I was getting doctors, nurses, and the old guys' elderly visitors continually wandering over to my side of the room during my first 24 hours in the hospital. Since RSV is common to the elderly and infants, it's seems obvious to me the source of the infection).

So I was placed on life support/intubation for the first two days of that second stay. Once I was able to breathe on my own, the first attending physician told me my right lung was 100% filled with fluids, with the left about 70% full at the time I collapsed.

I was then transferred from ICU after the 6th day to a regular private room for another two weeks. That wound up being a consective stay of three weeks, during which time a night nurse once again overdosed me on insulin, putting me into yet another hypoglycemic shock event.

Within a week of the second stay discharge I was diagnosed as having been infected during the second hospitalization with Clostridium difficile (aka c-diff) as a combined result of the staph infection antibiotic regimen wiping out the 'good' bacteria in my system, plus sloppy nurse hygiene. The symptoms of the infection had begun prior to my second discharge, but as it was during my first stay when I was pitching a bitch about the overinfusion of saline, my complaints about what turned out to be the typical symptoms of c-diff infection were ignored.

Flash forward to March 1, when I had to return for a third hospital stay because the previous five weeks of antiobiotics did not work quickly enough to prevent the staph infection from damaging bone in the foot, and an MRI confirmed that the big toe and adjacent foot bones had damaged badly enogh to require amputation - - plus treatment of the C-diff infection.

Got discharged after another fun-packed week, minus one big toe and a couple of metatarsals, to embark on a 30-day antibiotic regimen for the c-diff (every six hours around the clock) plus I had to have a PIIC line installed for self-managing Zosyn antibiotics IV infusion (3x/day) for the foot surgery. Within a week of ending the c-diff antibiotic, the c-diff infection was back, and significantly more virulent in comparison to the first bout, which put me in the ER once more (this was two weeks ago).

The ER physician teamed up with my primary care physician to battle my insurance company beancounters, who were refusing to approve, based on its price tag, prescription of a specialty Rx named Dificid that was developed specifically to kill off c-diff. Turns out the c-diff bacteria has mutated to where the cheap vancomyacin Rx that they had me on for the month prior is essentially worthless - all that happens is that, for some patients, the bacteria essentially goes into hibernation if it encounters the vancomyacin, then revives itself once the antibiotic is out of the system.

Adding icing to the cake, from March through the end of April in addition to the usual gastrointestinal complications, during the entire time the c-diff was in my system it was wreaking havoc on my blood pressure - if I stood up, or attempted to walk for any amount of time, my BP would plummet. So naturally this required consult with a cardiologist, and fortunately cardiac problems were ruled about by undergoing an echocardiogram. (The consult was also required because of concern for heart failure after my pulmonary collapse - heart operating efficiency, whatever THAT is, had been estimated to be at 45% at the time).

Back to the Dificid debate - the doctors argued with CIGNA that after all was said and done, the cost to treat the c-diff long-term as it was turning out ((up to six months of antibiotic care required to fight the replased infection, with potential for further drastic measures such as intestinal surgery and a lifetime of colostomy care if the follow-up treatment failed)) would end up costing CIGNA significantly more in claims payouts than it would if CIGNA approved coverage for the 10-day, $3200 Dificid Rx. Fortunately, CIGNA blinked and approved the Rx, and it involved only a $60 copay for me. I just got back lab work yesterday and it confirms the c-diff infection is no longer present.

Meanwhile, the aftermath of the protracted afflication/recovery from all of the issues aggravated my (previously) minor diabetic neuropathy to where it now is borderline debilitating, so now I have to embark on a taking more medications to fight the neuropathy pain (Lyrica), plus I am looking to hire a personal trainer who'll help me to devise a physical strength training program to regain my stamina.

Not as bad as when compred to what some of the fellow PE-ers are having to deal with in this thread at present, but still, bad enough to have to deal with given my single-dad status...I wouldn't wish any of this on my worst enemy, excepting the ex-father-in-law, maybe... ;) Here's hoping the upcoming second half of 2013 doesn't get any worse, knock on wood.

Shadow
05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Could be that you were abducted by aliens and it was a tracking implant. :>)

D t B

They must have a really boring existence if they want to track my lifestyle. :lol

Shadow
05-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Fun times.

I had a tooth go out on me three weeks ago. It needed root canal and that had to be done in two parts. Because of schedule conflicts I couldn't get the second part done until this Monday, so I lived on ibuprofen (by day) and codeine (by night) for two weeks.

Finally got it done, was going to be pain free -- and sinus infection.

Sigh.

I've had a couple root canals, they don't bother me all that much. Had my wisdom teeth pulled about eight years ago. The left bottom one was tight against the molar so it had rotted part of the tooth. They did a root canal on the molar but there wasn't enough tooth on the back side to attach a cap. Then I saw another specialist and he took a reciprocating knife tool and cut the bone down behind the molar to expose enough tooth root for the cap. Then I had a choice of gold or porcelain tooth. They are the same price and the gold is stronger, so I opted for the gold. I had a root canal done once where I didn't go back for the cap and when they were doing my wisdom teeth they cut that one out also and put a post in for a fake tooth. About three years ago I was eating a sugar daddy and the tooth pulled off the post. That's one of the things on my bucket list to get reattached to my body. I just stuck it in and it still fits the opening.

Modry Effekt
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow.Just reading thing this could heal lot of of people .I got new neighour,,they are from Karachay-Cherkess Republic.
I

Hunnibee
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
My ongoing medical saga is finally concluding.

Sorry you are going through all of that. Please take care of your good self!

^ Hey, I didn't know you got a job. That's great!

Thanks, Jed! It's a big relief. :)

Shadow
05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Jed! It's a big relief. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjb2UJZ-5I

Hunnibee
05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Ha ha, Ed. My new job does not give me an upset stomach. :p (not yet, anyway)

Shadow
05-15-2013, 09:36 PM
http://www.dimeadozen.org/images/smilies/beer.gif

Magnashine
05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Scratch scratch scratch! I have frickin skin allergy, only 6 spots but damn itchy. The only thing I did is cut some trees and bushes. Nothing on my hands and I was bare hand. It's going to get infected the way I play with them.

progeezer
05-15-2013, 11:54 PM
:O:O RTFR's litany of hospital f***ups eerily mirrors Kay's situation in February.

Because she has COPD, Emphysema & Asthma and has for several years, when she got the flu, since her immune system is heavily compromised by all the steriods she has had to take over the years, it turned into pneumonia and she was weak and feverish enough to take her to the ER, and they immediately admitted her. They determined that it was bacterial rather than viral pneumonia and began treating it with the antibiotic Bactrim. If they had investigated her medical history (all in their system) closely enough, they would have seen that it was one of the long list of meds she can't take because of either an allergic reaction or the interaction of certain antibiotics with her compromised immune system. She was too out of it to be proactive and I don't know the more than 40 meds she can't take!

The antibiotic caused an infection to settle in her liver, and she became jaundiced, her blood pressure dropped all the way down to 80 over 60 and she was perilously lose to renal failure. They were truly in "WTF?" mode for far longer than I was comfortable with, but did get her stabilized after a few days. That was an 8 day stay.

She came home on a Friday, and by Sunday was very weak again, so to the ER again, and another admission to tweak her meds & observe her. That was a 5 day stay.

Not more than 2 or 3 days later, she was so anemic & dehydrated that she couldn't stand up. ER again, and this time by the time the ambulance got there she was in a coma and in critical condition!! Later they determined that was a result of the pancreatitis that by that time had come along to keep all the other life-threatening issues company:roll. Massive infusion of antibiotics (in the nick of time, I was told by an ER nurse) brought her back.

Because of the numerous different meds that Kay has to take daily (at least 15 different meds!), all the specialists needed another 6 days w/Kay an inpatient before they felt comfortable enough to let her go home for the 3rd time, also with a PIIC line to self-infuse antibiotics for 10 days.

Anyone who was at Rosfest saw her toting oxygen around, a new manifestation of how much this nightmare has cost her already challenged energy and breathing.

But she was at Rosfest & had a great time, which is far superior to being dead, which would not have appealed to either one of us:).

Best of luck in your healing process, RT:).

-=RTFR666=-
05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Progeezer said:Best of luck in your healing process, RT

Thanks, geeze, but i may have jumped the gun on my previous note - turns out the $3200 wonder drug wasn't so wonderful at all - the C-Diff infection is back this week - not as bad as the second bout that kicked my ass last month, but back nonetheless. As of today I'm using the leftover vancomyacin (6 days worth left) just for the hell of it right now, but I expect the bug to rear its ugly head once that round ends, and then it's Round 3 with the infectious diseases specialists. :(

Some of the next-level treatments I've heard about sound absolutely revolting, so I'm not looking forward to the next consults.

Yanks2014
05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Looks like my acid reflux is under control. Little by little I've added the offending items to my diet, like tomatos and salsa, though not in large quantities. I'm a hot sauce lover, and I've started to use some, but again, in very small amounts. I still stay away from citris, and have cut out balsamic vinegar for now. Last week I had some good meat sauce on my pasta, and had a lot of it. I did end up with some heartburn, but it went away in about 2 hours, I can deal with that. I think what I've learned with this is to eat what I want, but then be careful the next day. I was really over-doing things, and it caught up with me. I'm still taking my meds for this, and likely wont stop. With all the medications I take, what's one more?

Rune Blackwings
09-29-2013, 02:35 PM
There are others on PE that could tell you about my various mishaps JUST at festivals!:lol

geezer has such issues that he travels with his own nun

Rune Blackwings
09-29-2013, 02:44 PM
I've had a couple root canals, they don't bother me all that much. Had my wisdom teeth pulled about eight years ago. The left bottom one was tight against the molar so it had rotted part of the tooth. They did a root canal on the molar but there wasn't enough tooth on the back side to attach a cap. Then I saw another specialist and he took a reciprocating knife tool and cut the bone down behind the molar to expose enough tooth root for the cap. Then I had a choice of gold or porcelain tooth. They are the same price and the gold is stronger, so I opted for the gold. I had a root canal done once where I didn't go back for the cap and when they were doing my wisdom teeth they cut that one out also and put a post in for a fake tooth. About three years ago I was eating a sugar daddy and the tooth pulled off the post. That's one of the things on my bucket list to get reattached to my body. I just stuck it in and it still fits the opening.

i had a couple of root canals from where i smashed my face on a kid's knee while going down a slip n slide. it took over twenty years for the abcesses to appear. the first one was treated while i had dental coverage from the camera shop, but the second was left alone until i could get dental coverage. i got it just in time: the tooth had become loose and painful. I was in PA for a wedding and my bil's sister-a dental hygenist-took me to the office at night and got the dentist in to perform an emergency pulpectomy. i got back and made the appointment. they did a root canal and had to lance the abcess through the gum. hurt like a bitch for a few minutes, but then i felt much better.

Jerjo
01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
bump for a worthwhile conversation

progeezer
01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
geezer has such issues that he travels with his own nunGlad you bumped this, Jer, or I wouldn't have seen Jen's superb post!:lol Jen!

JKL2000
01-11-2014, 08:34 PM
My nether regions are tingly.

Hunnibee
02-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Severe stress and anxiety has caused the left side of my body to go numb. It's not a stroke! I can still function normally, I'm just tingly... maybe not the same kind of tingly as Jed! ;-) I have also caught every cold going through my current community. I use to he physically strong with a robust immune system, but I'm pretty much a mess now. Had to leave my job from hell and the the bitch from hell who ran the place. She could probably make Hitler cry! Instead, she made me permanently ill. Heading to California soon and maybe, hopefully heal from too much trauma in the past five years.

Hunnibee
02-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Severe stress and anxiety has caused the left side of my body to go numb. It's not a stroke! I can still function normally, I'm just tingly... maybe not the same kind of tingly as Jed! ;-) I have also caught every cold going through my current community. I use to be physically strong with a robust immune system, but I'm pretty much a mess now. Had to leave my job from hell and the the bitch from hell who ran the place. She could probably make Hitler cry! Instead, she made me permanently ill. Heading to California soon and maybe, hopefully heal from too much trauma in the past five years.

Hunnibee
02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Sorry, I can't delete the double post on my phone.

JKL2000
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
^ That's a bummer about the bad work experience (and the numbness!). It's amazing how many people there are who can't reign in their personalities when they're at work. I'm surrounded by an estrogen fueled hornet's nest myself these days.

Dave (in MA)
02-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm surrounded by an estrogen fueled hornet's nest myself these days.Some woman at work who was having trouble yesterday with the copy machine near me said "this was probably designed by a MAN" to another woman passing by. I'd get hauled off to HR if I said something like that about the distaff gender.

Shadow
02-27-2014, 06:22 PM
i had a couple of root canals from where i smashed my face on a kid's knee while going down

:O

Greg
02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
i had a couple of root canals from where i smashed my face on a kid's knee while going down

:O

Well, when you quote it like that, then yeah.. it's quite horrifying.

Jerjo
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Monday night I tried to retrieve a cat out of a tree. The ladder slapped out from under me and I came down on my left foot. Two bones in my leg broke and the talus was shattered. There's plenty of metal holding me together and I won't be putting any weight on it for a couple months. My online activities will likely be limited but hey, at least I didn't fall on my head or back.

JKL2000
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Monday night I tried to retrieve a cat out of a tree. The ladder slapped out from under me and I came down on my left foot. Two bones in my leg broke and the talus was shattered. There's plenty of metal holding me together and I won't be putting any weight on it for a couple months. My online activities will likely be limited but hey, at least I didn't fall on my head or back.

Whoa! sorry to hear that. That blows.

JKL2000
03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Some woman at work who was having trouble yesterday with the copy machine near me said "this was probably designed by a MAN" to another woman passing by. I'd get hauled off to HR if I said something like that about the distaff gender.

You should have said "Well of course it was! There's no way a woman is going to be able to design a Copy Machine."

SteveSly
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear, that really sucks. My wifes sister has been dealing with a broken foot all Winter and it is not fun.

progeezer
03-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Last Friday, after about a week or two of feeling fatigued all the time, along with sore legs and tightening of the chest with even minimal exertion (i.e. just going up & down the basement stairs to do laundry), I called my primary doc, and his NP told me, "don't go to urgent care, but rather go directly to the ER, and I'll call them & tell them you're coming & why".

Turns out that I had upper GI internal bleeding and was losing blood for 2 weeks or more, and after all their tests, including an endoscopy, admitted me and gave me 2 units of blood. I instantly felt better after the transfusion, and while the scope was down there they fixed the source of the problem, a small ulcer. I was home Sunday & feel good enough to be only 67 instead of 69;).

I also learned something I didn't know. The phrase "blood in the stool" doesn't necesarily translate to seeing red, but also black. Anything further would indeed be tmi.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming:).

WHORG
03-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad you are OK Geez = always check things out just to make sure.

JKL2000
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
I thought this would be a good place to discuss how much some (most) insurance companies suck. Not necessarily the coverage, which depends more on your employer if it's provided through them, but the service you get from the company. My current employer's coverage is very generous, because while the deductible is very high, they reimburse you the amount of the deductible (based on what amount of a billed service is applied to the deductible). But the insurance company for the overall coverage is Cigna - I can't believe how on top of them I have to be. I've caught mistakes they've made that would have cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Just now I finished untangling one that was going to cost me over $500, and it took a lot of calls and a lot of time.

I don't want to get too much into such and such company sucks, but my point is just to look really closely at what your insurance company is doing - they are really just the service company, and it's easy for them to screw up to the tune of several hundred dollars.

luvyesmusic
03-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Last Friday, after about a week or two of feeling fatigued all the time, along with sore legs and tightening of the chest with even minimal exertion (i.e. just going up & down the basement stairs to do laundry), I called my primary doc, and his NP told me, "don't go to urgent care, but rather go directly to the ER, and I'll call them & tell them you're coming & why".

Turns out that I had upper GI internal bleeding and was losing blood for 2 weeks or more, and after all their tests, including an endoscopy, admitted me and gave me 2 units of blood. I instantly felt better after the transfusion, and while the scope was down there they fixed the source of the problem, a small ulcer. I was home Sunday & feel good enough to be only 67 instead of 69;).

I also learned something I didn't know. The phrase "blood in the stool" doesn't necesarily translate to seeing red, but also black. Anything further would indeed be tmi.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming:).

Glad you got checked out and are feeling better. :-)

Greg
03-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Wow. Glad to hear they found the problem and fixed it, and that you're feeling better.

Since I was finally able to get health insurance in January because of the ACA, I started seeing doctors again. I went to a new allergist, who can't do anything to fix my allergies to chemicals in the air, or for my food allergies. Yeah!

Then I went to Yale Occupational and Environmental Medicine (referred by the allergist), and they can't help me, either. Which means I have no way of finding work in an office because my asthma and skin won't tolerate being in a cloud of perfume and cleaning products for more than a few minutes. And, no one seems to want to hire me to work from home. To make matters worse, the folks at Yale believe I can't even qualify for disability--even just to hold me over until I can find a job working from home--so I no longer have any income.

I do have an exploratory upper endoscopy scheduled for the 6th of May (earliest the doctor could schedule in the hospital). The doctor wants to see if he can find a GI cause for my recent surge in food allergies. The troubling thing is I have no symptoms of any of the diseases or conditions he talked about--no abdominal discomfort, no bleeding, no difficulty swallowing, etc.--only the new food allergies. So, we'll see if he finds anything to fix, or just to tell me I'm fucked.

At this point, I've told my wife that we may have sell the condo and move to the family house in Philippines. At least, there, we would only have to worry about money for food. The house and land have no mortgage on them, so at least we'd have a place to live where we can't be thrown out by the bank or condo association. And, the last time we were there my asthma and skin cleared up substantially. So, maybe moving to the other side of the planet could be a good thing. We're just not ready to move there so soon.

Jerjo
04-24-2014, 01:03 AM
It's been 7 weeks since I broke my ankle. Yesterday I got cut out of the cast and into the walking boot. I was advised to wear the boot everywhere, even to bed, and not to put any weight on it until the surgeon returns...in June! Well, I slept in the damn thing last night and wore it most of the day, having a hell of a time getting comfortable. It digs in or abrades all the tender areas around my ankle that the cast had rubbed raw. This afternoon I took the thing off while I was on the couch and breathed the sweet air of freedom. I will wear the damn thing while moving around the house but if I'm immobile in bed, at my desk, or on the couch, I'm just going to keep it elevated to keep the swelling down and have the boot off.

At this point, I've told my wife that we may have sell the condo and move to the family house in Philippines. At least, there, we would only have to worry about money for food. The house and land have no mortgage on them, so at least we'd have a place to live where we can't be thrown out by the bank or condo association. And, the last time we were there my asthma and skin cleared up substantially. So, maybe moving to the other side of the planet could be a good thing. We're just not ready to move there so soon.

A few years ago my wife and I bailed on everything, found jobs in my home town in another state, and moved back to my parents house. Worked out far better than I thought. Some times you gotta roll the dice, especially with the middle class getting beat to shit everywhere you turn.

bob_32_116
04-24-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm fine right now, but last night a friend who lives a few blocks away called me saying he was unwell, had called an ambulance and could I come down. turns out he was having a heart attack and is now in hospital getting treatment.

A few minutes ago the phone rang. A series of seminars in which I enrolled has been cancelled because on of the presenters is seriously ill.

Then I log on to ProgEars, and the first thing I see is "Illness and Injury Thread". This is creeping me out.

tom unbound
04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
An old friend who lives right behind me just returned from cancer surgery. Removed voice box, part of tongue, etc. They took part of a muscle from his forearm and rebuilt his tongue with it. I had no idea they could do something like that. He's starting to eat better already, he's looking good (lot of railroad tracks, minor skin grafts), and spirits are up too. (He's only in his 40's :( ) Unfortunately, he will never talk again.

Yanks2014
04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
I've just gone through a rough few weeks, and am finally showing real improvement. I had built up fluid around my heart, which was making me very tired, and eventually keeping me up all night. Missed 4 days of work because of it. It was a simple fix, increasing the diaretic I take for my heart, and keeping my feet elevated. So I just start feeling better, then get immediately clobbered by the cold from hell. Suddenly the fluid is replaced by mucus, right to my chest. Major coughing fits to the point of exhaustion, and going through a million tissues. If mucus were gold, I'd be a rich man now. So a week plus of this had led to sheer exaustion. Some improvement but not enough. So yesterday my doctor ordered a chest x-ray, concerned about pnuemonia. Thankfully I don't have it. But there is STILL some fluid around my heart. So it's increased diaretics again, and extra trips to the bathroom, oh joy! But it appears to be working. So I imagine the worst is over and I should feel more myself over the weekend. I better, since Rosfest is just 8 days away.

JKL2000
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
If mucus were gold, I'd be a rich man now.

As would we all, my friend.

Yanks2014
04-26-2014, 07:42 PM
As would we all, my friend.

Feeling ever so slightly better, feeling human again.

Hunnibee
05-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Feeling great these days except for general fatigue, which I blame on "old age". My arthritis is calm, my sciatica isn't as painful, my allergies are under control, my depression has improved with "happy pills", I have lost 14 pounds since moving back to California, and I got a sunburn at a Giants game in San Francisco over the Memorial Day weekend, which is rather shocking in a city normally cloudy and foggy. It is already fading into a nice tan. Life is good!

gryphs also
06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Lost 35 pounds to take part in one of those luny "mud runs" with my daughter. Finished right in the middle of the pack (not bad for a 55 year old man), but rolled my ankle early on. Finished the run, but my ankle has completely seized up since. Everytime I lose weight and get in shape, something happens. Maybe I have to stop doing stupid shit when I get in shape.

Camelogue
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
My son and I have challenged each other to get down to 190lbs. I have not seen that number in 15 - 20 years.

Down 12 lbs so far, but still a ways to go.

Physically feeling my best that I have in years, elbow surgically repaired, no prostate cancer, no diabetes, BP and Cholesterol numbers down.

I may get hit by a bus tomorrow, but I look and feel good today!

llanwydd
06-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I may get hit by a bus tomorrow, but I look and feel good today!

There are a number of ways to reduce your chances of getting hit by a bus. :)

Servo
06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
How about Migraines?

I never had any sort of migraine in my life, then started getting them out of the blue about November 2012. Started with a visual disturbance, scared me enough the first time that I drove myself to the ER, I thought I was having a stroke or something. I stated getting them frequently, at least once or twice a week. The visual disturbance lasted about 20 minutes than it was followed by a bad headache. Thankfully, I never got nausea or some of the other symptoms I read about. Taking 2 Excedrin as soon as I saw the 'aura' was enough to keep the headache to a manageable level. I was able to function normally.

I became a little obsessed trying to find out why this was happening all of a sudden, I never found any concrete evidence as to what my trigger may have been, i logged food on my iphone for months, there was no pattern. I started taking a magnesium supplement because of some research I did. Also, my blood pressure was high for years leading up to this, and my dr. decided to put me on some medication to help control the BP.
All of a sudden, as quickly as they came on, they started to go away, I haven't had one since December. Not sure what made them go away, I would not be surprised if they came back.

maybe the elevated blood pressure over the years was causing an issue with blood flow in the brain or something.

does anybody else suffer with migraines?

Dave (in MA)
06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
How about Migraines?

I never had any sort of migraine in my life, then started getting them out of the blue about November 2012. Started with a visual disturbance, scared me enough the first time that I drove myself to the ER, I thought I was having a stroke or something.
A Scintillating scotoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma)? I looked around the conference room to see if everyone else was seeing what I was seeing on the projector, and the anomaly moved with my field of vision. I didn't go to the ER, but I did go to Google. I had no headache, but this is apparently a 'silent' migraine.

Dave (in MA)
06-06-2014, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE]does anybody else suffer with migraines?My last one was a week ago tomorrow. I was dreaming that I was trying out an experimental headache cure at work and it didn't help, at which point I woke up with a migraine. I took a butalbital (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butalbital) washed down with a large glass of diet Mt. Dew and then ran the hot shower over my head for about 15 minutes. This made me feel well enough that I could get back to sleep.

llanwydd
06-06-2014, 04:15 PM

I had them in my late teens. I took a medicine called Wigraine which, if I remember right, was introduced about the same time that I first needed it around 1978. It worked well for me. I haven't heard any mention of Wigraine in many years. From my experience and observation it seems to me that those who suffer from migraines can usually expect them to permanently cease at some point but one never knows when. I haven't had any trouble from my 20s onward.

SteveSly
06-08-2014, 12:10 AM

I have problems with a form of Migraine. I get them in my right temple and behind my right eye. Usually I wake up with them (although sometimes they develop over the day), and nothing gets rid of them until I sleep again for a full night. I don’t have any vision issues with them, but sometimes get nausea. I only get them on the right side of my head never on the left. I have never been able to find a cause or anything specific that triggers them. They just arrive out of nowhere every once in a while. They pretty much suck. My doctor perscribed me Bubalbital a while back, but I can't tell that it has any impact at all.

Vic2012
06-08-2014, 08:00 AM
I think I've been getting some mild migraines recently. I get this dull pain on my left temple, behind my left eye. I don't get too alarmed over it. I credit it to age, stress (at home, at work), lack of quality sleep, contact lenses, diet, vices, etc.

Yanks2014
06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
OK, been dealing with heart issues since early April. Retaining lots of fluid, around my heart and in my feet and ankles. Makes sleeping nearly impossible, and caused really horrible coughing fits. Finally went in the hospital last week, and they got a handle on this. No more swelling, and less fluid around the heart. They changed a med, and it makes me terribly light headed, but it's working better than the old one. I have an implanted device, since 2009, a difibrillator. They are talking about replacing it with an upgraded device, I imagine a combination one that acts as a pacemaker. I should find out more soon. It's a routine procedure to replace this, but still is surgery. If they decide to go this route, i hope to get in done before the end of summer. Should make me feel a whole lot better according to my doctor.

nosebone
06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Viagra's great for the aging progger !:up

Hunnibee
06-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Chronic migraine sufferer here. I get the ones with nausea and I'm unable to open my eyes. The really bad ones keep me in bed for a couple of days. I don't have them as much anymore. For me, they are caused by stress and anxiety, and I'm finally having less of those these days. The "scintillating" ones are called Ocular migraines, and I had my first one two years ago. I was fascinated and terrified at the same time by all those swirling patterns and flashing lights! I had my second one about four months ago.

Tom, good luck with your new defrib pacemaker. I hope it makes you more comfortable and adds more years of life!

Yanks2014
06-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Tom, good luck with your new defrib pacemaker. I hope it makes you more comfortable and adds more years of life!

I have an update on this. It's official, I've scheduled the surgery for August 5th. Should be a 4 week recovery, no driving that whole time, the worst part. The device I currently have has one lead into the lower right chamber of my heart, and essential would give me a shock if my heart stops or speeds up too much. The new device will have three leads, with the 2nd going to the lower left chamber, and a 3rd going to an upper chamber. This will likely cause my heart to finction a little stronger (increase the ejection fracture -a good thing), and should relieve many of my symptoms causing me to struggle with heart failure. I'm not expecting miracles, but even a slight imporovement will mean a lot for quality of life. I'm actually excited about getting surgery, imagine that! Plus, I should recover in time for the college football season, since I have season tickets for RU. Hey, you have to have priorities!

Shadow
06-23-2014, 11:05 PM
My grandson the knucklehead. Was probably trying to climb up something and took a fall. All I heard was a loud thump upstairs and some crying. My wife and daughter took him to the emergency room and got home 3 AM Saturday before last. Has a chipped bone on his elbo. He still tries to climb up on things with one arm. Nice thing is he can take a bath and go swimming with the cast. I think he has to wear it for four weeks.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10402676_666222283470692_8505577521214742785_n.jpg

JKL2000
07-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Good luck with the surgery, Thomas!

Yanks2014
07-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Good luck with the surgery, Thomas!

I had it already! What an ordeal... I'm home and doing much better, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Here are the fun details:

Well, I hate this expression, but sometimes things happen for a reason. I was scheduled for August 5th, but around June 25th I started having major chest pains, hardly slept the night. Went to work like an idiot and the pains came back and worse, more like heavy pressure near my heart. I went home early and tried to lie down a couple hours, but it didn't help, the pain persisted, so I called 911. Was brought to Princeton, and they did what they could, had tests and all, and they decided the next day to send me to Philadelphia. So it was a weekend of feeling horrible but in the right place. On the Monday, June 30th, I had a heart catheterization (I hate this procedure!), but thankfully no blockages. But while in recovery, I went into an A-Fib flutter, and my heart raced to 140 beats a minute. Scared the shit out of me. So for two days, I suffered through the flutter, now ranging from 60 beats to 120, and even higher a few times. Just horrible. So on Wednesday, they did a cardioversion to shock my heart into a normal sinus rhythm, and kept me under to then perform the implantation surgery and replace my defibrillator with the new device, now with three leads and the ability to pace the lower heart chambers. Cool technology. I woke up from the anesthesia feeling horribly groggy and nauseous, but the a-fib flutter was gone. Went into recovery for 6 hours and felt a ton of pain by the incision, and my back from the way I was lying. Percocet to the rescue! God, I hate this drug! Did it make the pain go away and give me a bit of a legal high? Sure, felt amazing on this. But I just knew this would do the worst thing possible, constipate me big time! The pain from that was far worse than from the surgery. Went through about two days dealing with that, and just taking tylenol for pain.

Once this ordeal was over, I just had to deal with the worst food imaginable. I get it, hospital food is not good, cardiac ward food is worse, very plain. And then there is the slop they gave me at this hospital, just the worst food I've ever had, I dreaded every meal. I admit to being a bit of a foodie, but I'm actually just comparing their food to the Princeton hospital, which was so much better. Horrible food service, they should be ashamed! It was so bad, I happily accepted a "Lean Cuisine" meal as an alternative, the nurse was so kind to offer this. Yup, Lean Cuisine was a BIG improvement, never thought I'd ever say such words!

So finally on July 5th, I was told I'd I'm going home. Not so fast, a screw up with the medications, and it being a holiday weekend meant one more day in the hospital. Finally, I went home on Sunday, July 6th. First thing I did at home was eat! They were leftovers, but some really great home made food, which never tasted so good!

So, after all this, I'm not in heart failure or a-fib. I have my new device, or "Borg Implant" as I like to call it. I should see gradual improvement of heart function over the next few months. I'll be home from work for a month, and even started PT today. Can't lift my left arm more than 90%, and do feel incision pain. So I'm limited in my arm movements, which makes things like dressing or washing difficult,. But it's getting better each day. Can't drive for another week, so I'm trying my best not to get too bored. But the worst is over. Oh, and I can actually sleep at night! Have not had many good nights over the last few months, so I'm thrilled by this. Just got to stay positive and realize the recovery is a process. Each day will be a little better.

Shadow
07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
My grandson the knucklehead. Was probably trying to climb up something and took a fall. All I heard was a loud thump upstairs and some crying. My wife and daughter took him to the emergency room and got home 3 AM Saturday before last. Has a chipped bone on his elbo. He still tries to climb up on things with one arm. Nice thing is he can take a bath and go swimming with the cast. I think he has to wear it for four weeks.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10402676_666222283470692_8505577521214742785_n.jpg

He got his cast off this morning. They said he healed up pretty good, but said he should stay off playground equiptment for another two weeks. I took him hiking in the woods today along the river. I guess we will see if he is as resistent to poison ivy as I am.

Hunnibee
07-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Each day will be a little better.

Yay! So glad it was a success, even if the recovery was hell. :D

Yanks2014
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Yay! So glad it was a success, even if the recovery was hell. :D

Just had my 2nd physical therapy session, I feel beat up! So the rest of today will just be me relaxing, playing some Chopin right now, piano concerto #2 -I've been on a classical kick of late. Of course right before this it was some prog-metal, and maybe some jazz later. I soooo missed being able to listen to music in the hospital. iTunes and my DVR will be my close friends the next few weeks.... No, I'm not stir crazy yet.

WHORG
07-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Glad you'll be OK Yanks - sounds like a serious ordeal.