PDA

View Full Version : How I built a large following on SoundCloud

brodel34
01-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Whats up PE.
I have three accounts total that I use. My main account is my musician account branded with the name, obviously. On this account I only follow the people that I want to… specifically for branding. I include links to my social media.

Popular SC Tracks

I make a list of all of the most popular songs that are similar to my music on soundcloud. The people who like these tracks are the same people who would like my account. I look for these tracks specifically.

Popular SC Users

In addition to the list of popular tracks... I make a list of the most popular users on SoundCloud that i'm trying to market similar to.

Promo Accounts

I have two accounts that I use strictly for promo. They are not branded or associated in any way to my main account. Both of these accounts follow the popular users from the list. I repost the popular tracks from the list on each of these accounts… each account with different tracks so they don't look the same. I try to find the absolute best avatar and header that i can possibly find for these. Look at popular photographers on instagram or photos on tumblr for help with this. I dump a few thousand fake followers on each of these promo accounts (the site that i use to pad my social media stats is followersgrow.com because ive been told that they are the safest)... i'll tell you why i do this in a second. So both of these promo accounts now have a very nice avatar/header and nothing but the most popular music on their timeline.

Once I have the accounts looking pretty... (by biding by soundclouds rules) I start to follow the followers of the high profile users with the popular tracks that are posted on my page. I avoid following users with no username and no profiles. Because your account is filled with nothing but music that you know they will like, you have targeted avatar and header artwork, and you have thousands of followers... 90% of the people will follow you back. The max you can follow is 2000 so this is why i like to order a few thousand so that the following to follower ratio looks legit. This is key because you are building an account based on hype. All the best profile artwork, all the best tracks, and lots of followers. Then after a few days you can unfollow every single one of these people and most of them wont even notice and will continue to follow you. Then you repeat the whole process again and again until you have thousands and thousands of targeted followers for each of your promo accounts. It takes time but it won't take long before you see it working.

Over time you will build up thousands and thousands of extremely targeted followers. When you post a new track on your main account, you can repost this track to your promo accounts and this will build you targeted organic followers, likes, and comments on your main account. A little tip to really drive likes/comments/reposts into overdrive is to switch hit on your promo accounts. Repost it once a day on both accounts. When you repost it will place the track at the top of your promo account's timeline each and every time. Watch your followers and engagement go up!

Another thing.... to make it look like your promo accounts are unbiased, I like to repost at least one of the popular tracks in between each of my main account posts. I don't want my tracks to appear consecutively on the promo accounts.

Bandcamp (for getting emails)

My main soundcloud account is a premium account that i pay the $5 or whatever each month. Each time that I upload a new track on soundcloud, I also upload this track on bandcamp as well. I include a link for the bandcamp track in the soundcloud track using the custom text "FREE DOWNLOAD" as the download text in the soundcloud track. On bandcamp... I make it so that users can only download the track when they enter their email address. Bandcamp collects these email addresses for you and you can save them as a csv file. Whenever I have a new track out, I always send these users a bcc email blast and they all get an email notification to go to soundcloud to listen to the track. This is great to get early engagement in addition to the promo accounts tactic.

If you do this every day you start to build a real asset in your soundcloud account. I've done this 4 to 5 times with different artists and every time we build a targeted following and we drive lots and lots of engagement.

Supersonic Scientist
01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
I stopped reading right after... "what's up PE"

...interesting that this troill didn't post 50 links to his amazing shit.

Yodelgoat
01-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Oh hes a troll? OK that explains why everything he said made no sense to me whatsoever. What does having a huge following on soundcloud get you? I have no interest in becoming a Soundcloud sensation. Wow, The things I miss by not caring about social media success.

brodel34
01-06-2016, 03:39 AM
I stopped reading right after... "what's up PE"

wow.

Oh hes a troll? OK that explains why everything he said made no sense to me whatsoever. What does having a huge following on soundcloud get you? I have no interest in becoming a Soundcloud sensation. Wow, The things I miss by not caring about social media success.

it gets you a career in music. welcome to the 21st century.

progmatist
01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
it gets you a career in music. welcome to the 21st century.

Progressive music is very rarely a career, it's almost always a labor of love. The vast majority of prog musicians have day jobs. Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

Yodelgoat
01-08-2016, 03:05 AM
Progressive music is very rarely a career, it's almost always a labor of love. The vast majority of prog musicians have day jobs. Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

I was once obsessed with success, but I've found out that my enjoyment of musicianship rests in the creative process and not in the distribution, In fact, I despise the distribution side of music, and for me it isnt getting any better with Soundcloud or Bandcamp or whatever is rocking the current musical world. I have not found an "enjoyable" way to distribute my music, so it stays home. Perhaps one day I'll release a 4 hour podcast/dvd/cd box - whatever.. with all my "recent" stuff on it. That would be about a decade's worth of studio tinkering. But as long as I 'm enjoying what I'm doing, there is no reason to cast any more pearls before swine. (Ok thats a little melodramatic, but if the pig fits, you're probably Idahoan)