PDA

View Full Version : Did I just see a "Like on FB" button on a thread?

wideopenears
08-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Is that a new feature? Or am I having a flashback?

Scott Bails
08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
I was wondering if that was just me.

Jerjo
08-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Just saw it too, thought I was hallucinating. What is this, Buzzfeed?

Sean
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
I think we are trying a FB interface option we have had since the beginning but never used. Not sure what it does exactly...

Don Arnold
08-10-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm not going to try it - you try it!

Let's get Mikey!

Gruno
08-10-2015, 05:00 PM
I saw a FaceBook image on one of the pages this morning, then it was gone.

zombywoof
08-10-2015, 08:18 PM
You try it, I'm bitter.

Actually it's a cool way to connect PE with social media. If you can't beat em, join em I say. And if it brings some traffic here, what can it hurt?

Duncan Glenday
08-10-2015, 10:37 PM
It's gone now.

There's an option to create a Facebook App (which will take time - so we might do it sometime soon). When the app is created - if you click that "like" button on a thread, it will post something on your Facebook wall along the lines of "Duncan likes a thread on Progressive Ears" - and a link to the thread.

It also offers the option for people to fine PE on Facebook, and to sign up for PE membership using their Facebook credentials.

Vic2012
08-11-2015, 07:27 AM
The "like" button doesn't bother me but I can live without it. I've avoided social networking sites. All I read about them is negative stuff about them. Recently when I logged in to PE on my Android device there was a banner to install a mobile app to follow PE. Did anyone else see that? Well, I installed it but quickly became impatient with the all the questions I had to answer so I uninstalled it. It just gave me the impression that I'd have to become part of some big network just to follow PE (plus the fact that I hadn't noticed anything announced about it). When you guys make an official announcement that the mobile app is available then I'll give it a try.

bob_32_116
08-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Not being on Facebook, I won't care whether there is a "Like on Facebook" button or not, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the proper PE text.

Scott Bails
08-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Not being on Facebook, I won't care whether there is a "Like on Facebook" button or not, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the proper PE text.

http://dontbubble.us/images/like.png

bob_32_116
08-11-2015, 11:48 AM
^^ Is that what a "like" button looks like? I haven't been missing much.

Sean
08-11-2015, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vMQRcELtRE

Vic2012
08-11-2015, 01:42 PM
I think "thumbs up" doesn't mean the same thing in some other countries that it means here in the US. In some countries it can be interpreted as "up yours." :lol It's true.

bob_32_116
08-11-2015, 01:57 PM
The main reason I am unenthusiastic about "like buttons" or a "thumbs up" icon or even the "+1" is that it's discouraging actual conversation. For me, just one person saying why they agreed with my post, or even politely saying why they disagreed, is worth a hundred "likes" or "thumbs ups".

Zeuhlmate
08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
I dont see any reasons for introducing tradeable likes. How can PE benefit?

But as long as its not the index finger:

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.462/the-meaning-of-the-isis-hand-sign.html ;)

Scott Bails
08-11-2015, 02:04 PM
The main reason I am unenthusiastic about "like buttons" or a "thumbs up" icon or even the "+1" is that it's discouraging actual conversation. For me, just one person saying why they agreed with my post, or even politely saying why they disagreed, is worth a hundred "likes" or "thumbs ups".

:up

(Sorry, Bob :lol)

Gruno
08-11-2015, 02:13 PM

It happens here in these threads. People respond with "agreed" or "couldn't have said it better myself", to name just a couple. How is that different than a 'like' button?

bob_32_116
08-11-2015, 02:52 PM
:up

(Sorry, Bob :lol)
I know. I asked for that. :D

You'll note my post was worded very carefully, trying not to say "I don't like a like button". :)

Jerjo
08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
It might increase traffic on PE but given there are no ad dollars I don't think that's a concern. It would be fun exposing the world to the toxic relationship most Yes fans have with the band and reality but really, does the world need to be exposed to that?

Sean
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
You know, PE is still pretty damn handy and cool if you just skip the Yes threads. I wouldn't think everyone we attracted would care about Yes anyway.

Duncan Glenday
09-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Quick FYI...

The new PE Mobile app has a "like" feature that works just like Facebook.

You can "like" an individual post, and other PE Mobile app users will see who liked what.

Sent via PE's mobile app

Firth
09-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Quick FYI...

The new PE Mobile app has a "like" feature that works just like Facebook.

You can "like" an individual post, and other PE Mobile app users will see who liked what.

Sent via PE's mobile app

Do you mean the Tapatalk app?

Duncan Glenday
09-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Yes

Sent via PE's mobile app

Firth
09-23-2015, 07:40 PM
I get "network busy" from the subscriptions section of the app, even though I can navigate to the forums. What's goin on?