PDA

View Full Version : My Recent Cd Purchases

JIF
12-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Since Scott B. told me once that he likes these, I'll start another one. I was at my local Barnes & Noble and saw a lot of good cds; some for $5.99 and some for $7.99. I got some from the $5.99 section. The first one I got is Smokin' by Humble Pie. I really love this one. Humble Pie is everything that the Stones wish they could be. This album marked the debut of Clem Clemson as the Pie's new axe slinger(Frampton who?). Nice mixture of blues, r&b, soul, and folk. Hot & Nasty and 30 Days In The Hole are my two favorite songs of theirs. The second one I got was Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer. Many have called this one of the first heavy metal albums, but it sounds more like grunge to me. It could be the perfect soundtrack to the end of the world. Their sound is so dirty, and they don't do no ballads. Lastly, I got Night And Day by Joe Jackson. I had avoid Joe for a long time, but a few things hooked me. Hearing his music in Tucker:A Man And His Dream(I watched that movie in high school), finding out that he was the originator of Got The Time(later covered by Anthrax), hearing Different For Girls on the radio, and falling in love The Real Men. That song is so emotional and beautiful; Stepping Out isn't too shabby, either. Plus, his jazzy pop sounds unique to me. What do all of you on this forum think?

JIF
12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
C'mon, people!! What the hell is wrong with you all? This is a new thread, so check it out.

progeezer
12-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Relax, we've all had threads that sink, Jordan.:)

Huge Joe Jackson fan. "Steppin' Out" is one of my favorite songs, period, and I love to sing it as well.

Not a fan of the Stones after Gimme Shelter, but liked (& loved some) stuff before that.

As for Humble Pie, they, like Deep Purple, made a lot of money when they morphed from proto-prog bands into hard rock bands, but "As Safe As Yesterday Is" by HP ( their debut album-w/Frampton) is the only music by them I own, along with the first 3 DP albums w/Rod Evans on vocals.

OK, now somebody's checked it out;).

spellbound
12-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, I have the albums you bought.

Humble Pie - "Smokin'" Always loved this since it came out on LP long ago. Even the songs that weren't hits sound good to me. Marriot was one of rock's all-time greatest frontmen. Although Clemson is quite decent on this album, as he was in his earlier band Colosseum, I would never dismiss Peter Frampton, one of the guitar greats still cranking out original material and inventive licks to this day.

Blue Cheer - "Vincebus Eruptum" A sludgy, hard rock classic. Everyone should hear this, whether they choose to own it or not. No one else was doing music quite like this in 1968.

Joe Jackson - "Night And Day" Back in the late '70s-early '80s when Jackson was making his start, I was not a huge fan of punk/new wave music. I'm more open-minded now. Who can remember why a young man gets a hair in his ass about some types of music? In any case, upon first hearing Jackson on the radio, I couldn't help but like him. Songs like I'm The Man and Sunday Papers sounded great to me; I liked them instantly. He went on to make lots of good albums in a row, among them Night And Day.

Scott Bails
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Embarrassing admission time - I've never heard anything by Humble Pie or Blue Cheer.

I've always wanted to check out Humble Pie, but never really knew anything about them, never knew, really what it was they did.

Blue Cheer I kind of had an idea about, but was never motivated to explore.

I hear a lot of people rave about Joe Jackson, but I always hated "Steppin' Out." I did enjoy "Is She Really Going Out with Him," but again, was never interested in learning more about him. But my first exposure to him was when I was teen, and my tastes have greatly broadened since then. I always had the impression that he was kinda jazzy, and I have much more interest in jazz than I did then.

So, all very interesting choices that I'd love to hear more about.

spellbound
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Scott, you might find you like Humble Pie. Anything they did from 1969 to 1972 is a safe bet. But avoid them if you can't stand hard-rock-blues-rock-boogie bands, because that's what they were.

progeezer
12-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Scott, you might find you like Humble Pie. Anything they did from 1969 to 1972 is a safe bet. But avoid them if you can't stand hard-rock-blues-rock-boogie bands, because that's what they were.Except for their 1st album;).

Scott Bails
12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Scott, you might find you like Humble Pie. Anything they did from 1969 to 1972 is a safe bet. But avoid them if you can't stand hard-rock-blues-rock-boogie bands, because that's what they were.

Who would you say they sound like?

I'm assuming that Frampton's solo stuff isn't a good representation?

meimjustalawnmower
12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Humble Pie's eponymous third album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THizi2Dbm5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLvXz0ZQKk

progeezer
12-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Who would you say they sound like?

I'm assuming that Frampton's solo stuff isn't a good representation?Correct, it isn't. Imo, after the 1st album, they sounded a bit like Brownsville Station, Ian G DP and Blodwyn Pig. The biggest difference is that those 3 bands didn't have a singer that could touch Marriott. Check out "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" by Small Faces if you haven't heard it for an obscure proto-prog gem that's had its own thread(s) here before. I never bought any of HP's hard rock stuff, but because of how I've always thought Marriott's vocals are killer, I never turned them off if they came on the radio in the car. Oh yeah, and "I Don't Need No Doctor" is the anomaly for me. Kicks ass!

meimjustalawnmower
12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Frampton played on five HP albums, btw.

meimjustalawnmower
12-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Steve Marriott was one badass little mutherfucker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMmV6xXYFw

Garden Dreamer
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Geez, I would never have guessed by the thread title that there would be a whole discussion about THE PIE in here! This was my favorite non-prog band as a lad, from the instant I heard the Smokin' album in 1971!!! Quickly brought myself up to speed by buying the 4 albums that preceded it (Rock On, s/t, Town & Country and As Safe As Yesterday Is), and yeah, T&C and ASAYI were indeed flirting with proto-prog with a whole smorgasbord of styles and influences being thrown into the mix.

Any fanatic should get drummer Jerry Shirley's autobiography which just came out this year, "Best Seat in the House", a great funny read about his Pie days.

JIF
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Correct, it isn't. Imo, after the 1st album, they sounded a bit like Brownsville Station, Ian G DP and Blodwyn Pig. The biggest difference is that those 3 bands didn't have a singer that could touch Marriott. Check out "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" by Small Faces if you haven't heard it for an obscure proto-prog gem that's had its own thread(s) here before. I never bought any of HP's hard rock stuff, but because of how I've always thought Marriott's vocals are killer, I never turned them off if they came on the radio in the car. Oh yeah, and "I Don't Need No Doctor" is the anomaly for me. Kicks ass!If you want to know the real power of The Pie, check out a song called 79th And Sunset.

yogibear
12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
humble pie was killer and "smokin" is proabably their best album (next to rockin the fillmore) but i haven't really heard much of their earlier stuff. this is another case of eccentric flashy guitar player/writer who leaves and gets replaced by a workmanlike player . once peter left the band became like the others within the genre they lost their uniqueness in peter; don't get me wrong clem clempson was very good but peters playing was jazz influnced and interesting at the same time ,very cool and most times worked very well within the Humble Pie canon.

joe jackson night and day is a nice pick but its different than his early harder hitting new wave pop punk music. nice stuff but a far cry from "is she really going out with him".its more radio freindly and that prolly why he had a hit with "steppin out" new wavey, faster and uptempo dancey churner.

JIF
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
humble pie was killer and "smokin" is proabably their best album (next to rockin the fillmore) but i haven't really heard much of their earlier stuff. this is another case of eccentric flashy guitar player/writer who leaves and gets replaced by a workmanlike player . once peter left the band became like the others within the genre they lost their uniqueness in peter; don't get me wrong clem clempson was very good but peters playing was jazz influnced and interesting at the same time ,very cool and most times worked very well within the Humble Pie canon.

joe jackson night and day is a nice pick but its different than his early harder hitting new wave pop punk music. nice stuff but a far cry from "is she really going out with him".its more radio freindly and that prolly why he had a hit with "steppin out" new wavey, faster and uptempo dancey churner.I was going to get Rockin', but I decided to wait(as I heard that Peter Frampton is helping put together a special version of that for 2013). I want to get Rock On, too, since my two favorite Humble Pie songs(Shine On and 79th And Sunset are on there).

spellbound
12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I want to get Rock On, too, since my two favorite Humble Pie songs(Shine On and 79th And Sunset are on there).

Do get it. "Sour Grain," Humble Pie's ode to whiskey, is another great song on an album that doesn't have any really bad cuts. "Stone Cold Fever" is a stone cold classic, and the album also features a unique version of Muddy Waters' "Rolling Stone." Frampton's "The Light" is another highlight. You want a real treat, get the vinyl.

JIF
12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Sorry, Spellbound. I don't have a record player.

Joe F.
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Man, you post some confusing opinions. ;) You say that Smokin' is their best album, but then you say you haven't heard "much" of their earlier stuff.

If you like the Peter oriented stuff on Performance (in which I don't agree at all that Frampton is "flashy"), then you owe it to yourself to check out the studio albums that he was on, in particular the first three. And even more so, as the Geezer said, "As Safe As Yesterday Is". Brilliant stuff, imho, and leauges beyond Smokin" (which is a damn fine album). All imo.

Rune Blackwings
12-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Just got a Corvus Corax cd from Germany: Erzahlen Marchen Aus Alter Zeit

There's lots of narration on it, more like an audio book, with a song at the end.

Bake 1
12-22-2012, 09:27 AM
May have been be woefully misinformed or completely f.o.s. as a teen, (have recently found this to be the case once or twice), but thought Humble Pie, Foghat and others of a similar genus were so inferior to Patto that they should go bag groceries or model clothes... also thought it must have been humiliating for Alvin Lee to have his willy (as a guitar player) repeatedly cut in half by having Patto w/Ollie Halsall open on a tour.
Blue Cheer sounded like... we're about to get electrocuted just from listening to this dangerous in 1968. If you like Vincebus Eruptum, you might also dig Outsideinside.
Joe Jackson may not have had punk cred on par w/ the Ramones, early Elvis Costello or Buzzcocks, but the 1st three records had really good pop energy and playing, (Beat Crazy had no hits, but does have a fair amount of catchy arse kicking moments).

JIF
12-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Just got a Corvus Corax cd from Germany: Erzahlen Marchen Aus Alter Zeit

There's lots of narration on it, more like an audio book, with a song at the end.Sorry, but see the word "MY" in the thread title? These are thoughts on my recent cds. Get your own thread. ;)

davis
12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
...Blue Cheer sounded like... we're about to get electrocuted just from listening to this dangerous in 1968....

They whipped up quite a storm. I like their music but wish they'd done instrumentals.

JIF
06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkeQzy6QZOA&list=FLwq9k94KreLouL_EXhChSlw&index=68Humble Pie's 79th And Sunset. My fave song by them. For you, Scott.

JKL2000
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
If you want to know the real power of The Pie, check out a song called 79th And Sunset.

"The Pie" :rofl

No Pride
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
The second one I got was Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer. Many have called this one of the first heavy metal albums, but it sounds more like grunge to me.
Never thought about it (maybe because I haven't listened to "Vincebus Eruptum" in 40 years), but you're right! Just goes to show that grunge was nothing new when it came out.

I was a fan of Blue Cheer when I was in my mid teens, in fact I saw them live once. Currently, they're near the top of my list of music I once loved that hasn't aged well at all. YMMV.

JKL2000
12-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Some good stuff arrived just in time for holiday viewing this weekend:

- 3rDegree's Blu-Ray of stuff from the recent European tour, put together as a bonus for crowdfunding supporters of the tour. Crude in some ways, but a lot of fun to watch!

- Marillion's "Unconventional" Blu-Ray, the documentary about their 2013 Weekend, and the weekends in general. Very well put together, with a lot of the usual insightful bits. It's fun to hear all the band members talk about how much they value the weekends, the fans, their music, and also how they really don't give a toss about what the rest of the world thinks about it all. Here, hear!

- Renaissance's crowdfunded DVD of their Union Chapel show from - last year? There's an audio download to, which I download now before I forget. Will be watching this one tonight.

Here's to new prog that shuns the rest of the world. Joy to us, we have come, let us receive our king!

Have yourself an insular, little Christmas...

JKL2000
12-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Oh, and I finally downloaded a copy of Roy Harper's long unavailable "Poems, Speeches, Thoughts and Doodles," which I didn't even know was made available as a download. Should be good after a few stiff drinks. Rave on, Roy!

JKL2000
12-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Ooh, I almost forgot the new Marillion Christmas CD and Web UK magazine also arrived yesterday. It's a bonanza!

And I've got word that Santa is bringing a bunch of other awesome stuff...

Progatron
12-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Marillion's "Unconventional" Blu-Ray, the documentary about their 2013 Weekend, and the weekends in general. Very well put together, with a lot of the usual insightful bits. It's fun to hear all the band members talk about how much they value the weekends, the fans, their music, and also how they really don't give a toss about what the rest of the world thinks about it all. Here, hear!

Yes, I enjoyed this, and was delighted to find it wasn't half-filled with fan interviews and other such nonsense. A nice, insightful documentary.

Ooh, I almost forgot the new Marillion Christmas CD and Web UK magazine also arrived yesterday. It's a bonanza!

Still waiting on this one, but good to know you got yours, because I should have it in time for Christmas.

3RDegree_Robert
12-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Some good stuff arrived just in time for holiday viewing this weekend:

- 3rDegree's Blu-Ray of stuff from the recent European tour, put together as a bonus for crowdfunding supporters of the tour. Crude in some ways, but a lot of fun to watch!

- Marillion's "Unconventional" Blu-Ray, the documentary about their 2013 Weekend, and the weekends in general. Very well put together, with a lot of the usual insightful bits. It's fun to hear all the band members talk about how much they value the weekends, the fans, their music, and also how they really don't give a toss about what the rest of the world thinks about it all. Here, hear!

- Renaissance's crowdfunded DVD of their Union Chapel show from - last year? There's an audio download to, which I download now before I forget. Will be watching this one tonight.

Here's to new prog that shuns the rest of the world. Joy to us, we have come, let us receive our king!

Have yourself an insular, little Christmas...

Glad to hear Jed. Wish we were able to record the audio to the shows like we did on the first 4 songs on the Blu-ray. Even a festival such as Summer's End-absent us bringing our own recording gear ($$)-didn't have any recording gear set up despite the big names on the bill. Only the first show had something set up.

JKL2000
12-20-2015, 11:18 AM
I didn't mean the audio was crude, really - it's fine. It's really all about capturing the atmosphere, and you did that.