PDA

View Full Version : George Thorogood & the Destroyers

davis
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm just getting back into this stuff after a long time gone. I bought the first 2 albums and stopped. I just bought them on CD and ordered the Haircut CD.
Any fans here? Anybody been to a gig?

Jerjo
12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Been to one gig many years ago. Couldn't have been more than 500-600 people and he worked his ass off. They must have done close to 20 songs and only one was a slow blues tune. It was wall to wall boogie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZ4pt_-qtU

Chain
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Saw him about 25 years ago, a wonderful show. He has learnt his trade well, he can really hold an audience.

After about 5 minutes in he had the audience in the palm of his hand. About 2 hours of solid rock/boogie and he was on stage for the whole time. The rest of the band took a break at one point and he continued along solo.

yogibear
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
yeah i have seen him and had his stuff from the get go. they originally didn't have a sax player on the albums or live and thats how i remember the early albums. i saw him live though just after getting the sax player and they toured , killer show wonderful rocking and jamming with the sax and guuitar trading bits m, it was most cool.

davis
12-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I attended 03-17-78 Glasboro State College, Glasboro, NJ. I remember the music being great, but I was in the back of the crowd and, standing 5'7", I could barely see him or the band. I want to see him again before he retires, IF he's going to. I'll travel for it.

Garden Dreamer
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I had the first two albums right out of the gate but interest sort of trailed off after that. Good rockin' interpretations of some old tunes, then a few years later I went on a blues kick and heard the original versions.

davis
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Good rockin' interpretations of some old tunes, then a few years later I went on a blues kick and heard the original versions.

I have a few Chess boxes myself.

SteveSly
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I have seen him a bunch of times, although it has been a while. Always a great live performer for sure. As someone else mentioned he works his ass off at his gigs and he and his band always give 100%. I think the only album I own is one of this live ones, which is really good.

Steve Sly

Scott Bails
12-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I was into them for a while when I was in high school and was discovering classic rock. I've never seen him perform, but all reports I've ever read mirror those here - hard working band that rocks the house.

One of those guys where I wouldn't turn him off if he came on the radio, but I've never been motivated to seek out any albums.

meimjustalawnmower
12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I saw them back in the late 80's at Toad's place, New Haven CT. It was in the dead of summer, but apparently Thorogood's rider provided that there be no air conditioning in the venue. He also insisted that no beverages were to be served in bottles or glass containers. Cans or plastic cups only. It was like he was purposely creating an atmosphere for a fight, but removing the dangerous aspects that could easily be directed at him. Sure enough, late in his set, a fight broke out on the floor, which turned into two or three fights. The Toad's goons came out and broke it up. When the place cleared out after the show, you couldn't even see the floor for all of the beer cans.

scags
12-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I saw him a few times in the late 70's- it was always fun, but I don't need any of his albums, as long as I have Hound dog Taylor's

davis
12-14-2012, 08:14 AM
If anyone has recording of Destroyer shows, pm me. I'd like to trade if you have a show w/good SQ that I haven't found.

notallwhowander
12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Never saw him live, but I did enjoy the album Bad to the Bone back in the day.

Facelift
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
A performer I've seen once before and would enthusiastically see again, and whose recorded music I can enjoy when it comes up on the radio, though I don't really play it voluntarily.

Trane
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Saw him four times in nthe early 80's... Three hours of dancing RnR....

stopped buying his albums after Bad To The Bone, though

Still enjoy when i hear him on the radio

davis
12-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Like most of the bands I've fallen in love with over the years (and this is ongoing til I'm outta this world), the hits are enough for a lot of people, but for the most part, the best stuff never gets on radio. That said, I salute you if you at least stay tuned when The Destroyers are on the radio. :good

Richard
12-16-2012, 11:03 AM
I used to watch George and his band play baseball at the baseball field he built in Newark, Delaware. Great fun!!
I did see him once or twice in concert, Newark Delaware's State Theater (a shame its gone)and in Syracuse, NY.

r

rapidfirerob
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Saw him once in the 80s. It was fun. It's enough. It is what it is.

Trane
12-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Saw him once in the 80s. It was fun. It's enough. It is what it is.

Kind of agree that once is enough to catch the essence of GT&TDD... but three hiours of high-energy rock'n roll is always a good dose that must de administrated at least once a decade

Brad to the Bone
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Any fans here? Anybody been to a gig?

I haven't listened to him in years, but was a big fan back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Went to see him back in 1993 in Halifax. The concert was originally supposed to be in the Halifax Metro Centre (a 10,000-seat hockey arena), but due to poor ticket sales was moved to the Misty Moon (a downtown bar with standing room space for about a thousand). He still used all the same speakers and equipment that was intended for the Metro Centre. Um, it was loud!

davis
12-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Unless they plan to come closer, my wife and I plan to drive to the other end of Indiana to see him in Merrillville next spring. I'm hoping they'll schedule a gig in Indianapolis or Cincinnati.

davis
12-18-2012, 07:32 PM
I've joined the message board over at the Destroyer's site, where hopefully the overall enthusiasm level will be closer to mine. :) I thank you all for taking part in this thread.

JIF
07-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Just found out today the reissues of the first two albums will be released tomorrow. I might just pick them up.

Rickenbacker
07-30-2013, 01:14 AM
Didn't he make a statement in the last 2 years that he was quitting the music business/ retiring? (or something to that effect)

JIF
07-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Didn't he make a statement in the last 2 years that he was quitting the music business/ retiring? (or something to that effect)I think you have him confused with Phil Collins.

davis
07-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Just found out today the reissues of the first two albums will be released tomorrow. I might just pick them up.

A copy of the debut is on its way to me. I have a bunch of Thorogood CDs; the first one is till my favorite. I don't know which album was his breakthrough, but I heard 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' on FM in south Jersey in 1977 and bought the album as soon as I could.

JIF
07-30-2013, 06:29 AM
A copy of the debut is on its way to me. I have a bunch of Thorogood CDs; the first one is till my favorite. I don't know which album was his breakthrough, but I heard 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' on FM in south Jersey in 1977 and bought the album as soon as I could.Did you get the remastered version? I know Bad To The Bone was a big seller, but I think Move It On Over is also considered his best. I might get the first album as well, because I love One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

3LockBox
07-30-2013, 09:35 AM
I'd go see him if it was close (and cheap). I dug the first two albums, right along side other boogie blues like Fab T-birds, but haven't put on one of his discs in decades.

davis
07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Did you get the remastered version? I know Bad To The Bone was a big seller, but I think Move It On Over is also considered his best. I might get the first album as well, because I love One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Yeah, I pre-ordered the remaster of the debut. I also really like the Haircut album.

davis
07-30-2013, 11:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJrpIqF0HM

PotatoSolution
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I remember a thread long ago where people had to pick their 3 most hated songs.

Bad To The Bone was at the top of my list. :D (FYI, Rock and Roll All Nite was my number 2 and Old Man my number 3 most hated.)

davis
07-30-2013, 03:32 PM
^ that's understandable. overexposure will kill anything.

Garden Dreamer
07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Had these two LPs (on Rounder Records!) back in the day, would gladly get them again.

JIF
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I pre-ordered the remaster of the debut. I also really like the Haircut album.
Get a haircut and a get a real job.

Had these two LPs (on Rounder Records!) back in the day, would gladly get them again.How would you rate them? I know Move It On Over is considered quality work. I like getting debut albums from certain classic artists, because it's fun to see where they started.

JIF
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
A copy of the debut is on its way to me. I have a bunch of Thorogood CDs; the first one is till my favorite. I don't know which album was his breakthrough, but I heard 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' on FM in south Jersey in 1977 and bought the album as soon as I could.You should post a review once you get it. I would love to hear what you think.

JIF
08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Here's Mr. Thorogood playing tribute to The Man In Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hqVHcLLop4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFsmJZlESs

Garden Dreamer
08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
How would you rate them? I know Move It On Over is considered quality work. I like getting debut albums from certain classic artists, because it's fun to see where they started.
I haven't heard those first two albums in ages but I remember liking them a whole lot, fun rockin' stuff. Just looked them up on the net to see the list of songs, and yeah, I'd get these again. A lot of old blues and country standards done up in his style. I didn't get any albums after that, no particular reason, but then a few years later he started to get more popular and classic rock radio ruined a handful of his songs, but I'd probably want to see what's on those albums for the "deep tracks" which I've never heard. Plus those early albums paved the way for me to get more into old traditional blues artists, which I spent a good portion of the 80's exploring.