PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones - Brooklyn

HealthyNational
12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I was very fortunate to attend last night's Rolling Stones concert at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Surprisingly for free. And surprisingly this easily ranked with some of the best concerts I've seen in years. And I've been to quite a few. Would I have liked them as much if I'd shelled out the $800+ most in attendance had? Perhaps. As always, ymmv. But anyway, the old men simply rocked and rocked hard all night. Easily blew away the previous 3 RS concerts I'd been to in the past. A great 2 hour, 23 song set (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-rolling-stones/2012/barclays-center-brooklyn-ny-23da14ef.html) including all their greatest tunes. High energy output from the get-go with the only ballad being one of my personal faves, "Wild Horses". Otherwise, classic hard rocking RS classics all night. Highlights for me included "Sympathy For The Devil", "Brown Sugar", "Gimme Shelter", "It's Only Rock & Roll..." and well, just about the entire stand up and ROCK your asses off set of tunes that defined this great band. Even the Keith sung tunes, including "Before They Make Me Run" were steller. Mick Jagger sounded great. As good or better than he has in the past. And regardless of his decades on this planet, the man danced his ass off all night. Simply put, he showed the world why he and this band have remained an important part of the history of music. Man was he impressive! There was no way one could have closed their eyes and have thought these were a bunch of old-fogeys playing those tunes. Charlie Watts was the drum machine he's always been, keeping that simple but driving rhythm going. Keith was the Keef we all know and love, looking as old as, well ... Mick! Great stage in the shape of an open mouth with the band making great use of the tongue sticking way out into the crowd. I guess I must've forgotten how much I loved these songs growing up, I'm glad they reminded me again. Maybe for "The Last Time".

tom unbound
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the review ! I'll start checking Youtube for the show. Sounds like some major ass-kicking !! :up

Adm.Kirk
12-09-2012, 03:06 PM
From what I've read and seen on video clips the Stones are taking a cue from Led Zeppelin and going the extra mile to ensure they bring their A Game. I had no doubt they would pull it off despite the bickering about whether they could still do it or not on Stones fan sites.

Bill

Jerjo
12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Looking for to the DVD. Nothing like the Who on tour and Zeppelin on the charts to bring out the best in the Stones.

mogrooves
12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/10/arts/music/the-rolling-stones-at-barclays-center.html?ref=music

80s were ok
12-10-2012, 12:31 AM
From what I've read and seen on video clips the Stones are taking a cue from Led Zeppelin and going the extra mile to ensure they bring their A Game. I had no doubt they would pull it off despite the bickering about whether they could still do it or not on Stones fan sites.

BillThe Stones never NOT bring out their A game.

Adm.Kirk
12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I tend to agree, however, there are Stones fans?!?!?! who would not agree with that assesment. I lurk at www.iorr.org from time to time and many of the posters there are often of the opinion that they can't do it anymore. However, this recent run of shows seems to have shut them up for the time being.

Bill

Rickenbacker
12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I've only heard 1 tune, but man, I think their latest single rocks. "Doom & Gloom". Best song they've done in a long time, IMO.