PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us About Your Gear- Or Even Show Us!

Sean
11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Feel free to share, I'd like to see what everyone is playing and what through or just know if you don't feel like posting a pic.:up

Jay G
11-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Martin

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3198.jpg

Telecasters

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3193.jpg

Super Strats

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3188.jpg

Les Pauls

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3168.jpg

Amps

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3178.jpg

Pedal Board

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/jgoldenbergi/IMG_3177-1.jpg

Dean Watson
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
If you had to pick one amp that can do it all, would your Egnater Rebel come close?

progmatist
11-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Keyboards...
Guitars, Bass...
Drums

trurl
11-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Nice!! What's the bottom keyboard there??

RaelWV
11-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Here's what I've setup in my spare bedroom, instead of having actual people come and sleep there:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8091921836_bc8096b61d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13055128@N04/8091921836/)

The goodies (L to R):

Alesis SR-18 drum machine
Korg M50 workstation (bottom) w/ GFS Greenie Classic fuzz box
Alesis Micron virtual analog synth (top)
Korg Kaosilator synth
Zoom R-16 digital recorder
Peavey KR-1 amp
M-Audio Axiom-61 MIDI controller (bottom)
Nord Rack 2X w/Boss PH-2 Super Phaser (top left)
Moog Minitaur bass synth (top middle)
Berhinger MIDI controller (top right)
Gateway computer running ACID Music Studio and various software synths, including GForce Minimonsta and M-Tron and virtual versions of Korg’s M1, Wavestation, and Polysix synths

Progbear
11-06-2012, 12:52 AM
My setup is pathetic!

Lefty Squier Strat guitar
“Granada” acoustic with an out-of-whack neck*
“White-face” ARP Odyssey that, last I checked, produces no sound.
Hand-me-down Roland digital piano (with a couple of dead keys)
Casio MT-100
Solid-state guitar amp of unknown make or model (it’s in storage)
Tambourine
Plastic recorder
A couple of bamboo flutes

*It was my mom’s. She lent it to her brother, who strung it with metal electric guitar strings, which trashed the neck.

I used to have a Yamaha guitar and a Ibanez digital delay pedal, but an ex-housemate stole them.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Dayride”-Return to Forever/No Mystery

progmatist
11-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Nice!! What's the bottom keyboard there??

It's a Korg M50 88

No Pride
11-06-2012, 01:37 PM
If you had to pick one amp that can do it all, would your Egnater Rebel come close?
Well, I'm not Jay, but I have a Rebel 30 and I'd have to say no. It's a nice compact gigging amp, but it's a medium gain thing with only two channels and a pair of EL84s and a pair of 6V6s in the power amp. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that I need a higher watt power amp with 6L6s or EL34s to get the kind of sound I want from the lower range of the guitar. It's a nice little amp for what it does, but not the most versatile. I'd love to get a Mesa/Boogie Mark V; I think that thing can do just about anything. But alas, they're two damn expensive!

mightcould Tim
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I have a VERY small amount of gear. Guild dreadnought acoustic, which I still love. Mexican Fender Strat and Crate solid state amp, both of which I'm looking to replace soon - though I don't know what with. I have access to a cheap electric bass (Ibanez), mandolin, and banjo, but I play those less.

Jay G
11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Well, I'm not Jay, but I have a Rebel 30 and I'd have to say no. It's a nice compact gigging amp, but it's a medium gain thing with only two channels and a pair of EL84s and a pair of 6V6s in the power amp. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that I need a higher watt power amp with 6L6s or EL34s to get the kind of sound I want from the lower range of the guitar. It's a nice little amp for what it does, but not the most versatile. I'd love to get a Mesa/Boogie Mark V; I think that thing can do just about anything. But alas, they're two damn expensive!

I agree it is not a high gain amp but does good with a nice distortion and overdrive box in front. I also notice that more or larger cabinets help the amp tremendously. Funny but my boy actually prefers the Ampeg clean amp with distortion and overdrive in front.

Rarebird
11-07-2012, 05:12 AM
My first synthesizer was a Roland System 100 model 101, which I still own. It's no longer in use, and a picture can be seen as background on my homepage.
My 19" rack contains from top to bottom:
Motu Midi Express 128 midi-interface
Emu Proteus/1
Kawai K1 rII (I have a lot of sounds for this one on the computer, but with my current version of Cubase it's no longer possible to load them in the synthesizer)
Yamaha TX81Z
Akai Z4 sampler
Nord G2 Engine
My keyboards:
Nord Electro 2 sixty-one
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Mixer, effects, recorder:
Mackie CR1604 16 channel mic/line mixer
Akai Professional Digital Reverb EX90R
Pearl Model F605 Analog Delay (not really in use)
Korg D1200mkII Harddiskrecorder
Alas no pictures yet.

N_Singh
11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
2008 Sadowsky Jim Hall archtop (plywood)
1978 Ibanez GB10 (George Benson) (plywood)
1952 RI Fender Telecaster--modded with a Jason Lollar Charlie Christian neck pup, ash tray cover over the useless bridge pup.
2011 Eastman El Rey 7 string archtop (solid tone wood)
2010 Gibson ES-339 (semi) (modded with a Jason Lollar Charlie Christian for HB routed, neck pup
1963 Gibson L5 acoustic archtop, Johnny Smith floating mini-HB

Amps:
Henriksen Jazz Amp Convertible head and cab
Polytone Mini-Brute IV
Fender Twin 65 RI
Phil Jones Cub

Strings:
TI Bebop roundwound 14-55

Pedal Chain: Seymour Duncan Twin Tube pre-amp--EH Reverb--EH Delay--Jam Man Stereo Looper--Volume Pedal

nosebone
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
1997 John Suhr Scott Henderson strat ( blue)
2003 John Suhr Scott Henderson Strat ( sea foam green)
2005 John Suhr classic Strat ( sunburst)
1977 BC Rich Seagull ( dark green)
90s Larrivee steel string acoustic
60s Santa Cruz steel string acoustic
Cordoba classical
Martin 3/4 travel guitar
Jerry jones electric sitar

Supersonic Scientist
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Now, if I only had a band to use all of this stuff in...

GTRs
1966 Gibson ES-335 (refinished jet black)
1967 Gibson ES125 deep body & cut-away (3-tone Sunburst)
1948 Gibson ES300 (2-tone Sunburst)
1979 Gibson ES-1275 Double-neck 6-12 (Alpine white)
1995 Gibson Nighthawk (given to me for free)
1976 Fender Strat w/wammy (3-tone Sunburst)
1995 Fender P-bass (Lake Placid blue)
1964 Fender Mando-caster (3-tone Sunburst)
1971 Rickenbacker LS-331 Light-show guitar
19xx Sebring Gibson L5 Copy (A truely amazing jazz GTR)
2010 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II (Black)
1990 Lowden S7C Acoustic
1978 Gianinni (Craviola Acoustic)
Rogue (Coral imitation) Sitar
No name Lap steel
Parker (imitation Chet Atkins solid-body,cut-away nylon string)
No name acoustic mandola
Harmony Electric mandolin
Gianinni acoustic mandolin

Keys
Roland JD-800
Roland JP-8000
Seil DK-600 (DOA)
Casio CZ-101
Kurzweil K2000 w/Orchestra ROM
Mallet Kat
Korg rack unit
E-Mu Proteus
Roland 909
Oberheim 1000 rack unit

Pedals
Oh don't even go there....WAY TOO MANY

Proghound
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Proghound
11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
and...224225226227228

Proghound
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
234235236237238 .. ok enough already!

JIF
11-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Is the M-Audio keystation like a Mellotron? I saw one in the Fly From Here EPK.

Panzermann
11-09-2012, 03:39 AM

This is what i usually use in a live situation:

DRUMS
Pearl Master Studio drumkit
- 20x16" bass drum
- 8x8" tom
- 10x8" tom
- 12x9" tom
- 14x14 floor tom
- 16x16 floor tom
- 14X6" Gretch snare drum
- 8" Latin Percussion Micro snare
- 6" hand drum modified to mounted tom

CYMBALS
Grand Master 20" Medium ride
Masterworks 14" medium hi-hats
Steve Hubback 11" hi-hats (as x-hat)
14", 16, 18" Zildjian Dark Thin Crash
10", 12" Masterworks splashes
5" Paiste bell
8" Latin Percussion Ice Bell
12" Wuhan splash with 8" Zildjian Trashformer underneath
15" ddrum Shade cymbal (sounds almost like the classic trash cymbal on "Red"!)
18" wuhan china

PERCUSSION
Hi and low LP jamblock
Hi and low Engelhart bells
MP plastic cowbell
Pearl Metal Crasher
Meinl studio chimes
Meinl pin chimes
Hubback gong plate
Hubback 20" gong
Hubback burma bell
small dinner gong
Latin Percussion jam tamb
Hubback shell chimes
Meinl waterfall
Afro Percussion cricket

ELECTRONICS
Roland SPD-S
Yamaha Clickstation metronome

I also have loads of percussion instruments, a Kaossilator, SP404 sampler, monofon, tronofon, balaphone, metallophone, glockenspiel, Yamaha PS-20 organ, Ableton Live 8 sequencer.

SymfoZone
11-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Keyboards I'm currently using: Yamaha MO-X, Nord Lead Anniversary Model, V-Machine stand-alone VST player, Laney monitor, Behringer mixing desk
Past gear: Yamaha Motif-6, Roland Juno-D, Korg Wavestation, Roland D-10, Korg N264, Korg Poly 800, Farfisa Syntorchestra 4.

trurl
11-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Is the M-Audio keystation like a Mellotron? I saw one in the Fly From Here EPK.

It's just a controller, it doesn't make any sound by itself. You can hook it up to hardware synth racks or a computer and play those sounds with it. In my keyboard rig it appears a lot of impossible sounds are coming out of some old 80s vintage keyboards because they're all MIDId to something else- not one of them actually has the audio output plugged in :D

Which, if anyone's interested is:

Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq Mirage
Roland RS-9
M-Audio Keystation 61

All going to a laptop running lots of stuff but primarily:

G-Media MTron
Forefront Truepianos
GSi VB3
Kontakt 5
Project SAM Organ Mystique
Arturia MiniMoogV
Arturia CS-80V

TheNefariousHED
11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Here is the new studio layout in Kentucky. Fuzzy iPad photo taker.

Our board in Columbus. Say hi to Hot Tuna.

My two Korgs. Love the MOSS, yo.

Big Ol' Rack in Columbus. The ADATS aren't used in Kentucky, except for nostalgia dumps.

Love my Waldorf!

TheNefariousHED
11-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Can't forget the TrapKat.

Kim Olesen
11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Live rig. Same as for Anubis Gate though i always use my Parker Fly Deluxe when gigging with Anubis Gate. This is from a cover band gig so it's the strats night out.

Pam George
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
My PRS can be seen and heard at 5:28 here (Randy is playing it, though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A8wwduI6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Zeuhlmate
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Instruments
Gibson SG Custom 1976 (with one original PAF pickup in neck position)
Steinberger by Hohner (all wood) with pickups replaced with Seymor Duncan PAF and some other I forgot the name of)
Steinberger GL4 (the one all graphite)
Status bass S2, 5-string

Devices
Roland OD1 distortion
MXR Blue Box
MXR stereo chorus
MXR compressor
Morley Volume / Wah
TC-electronics stomp / on off
Roland GP-8 soundprocessor (multieffects)
Furman sound PQ3 parametric equalizer

Amps
Burman tube, 50 watts combo 2 speakers
Roland jazz chorus 120
EBS bas cab 10"

Listen:
http://bohn.dk/lyd/Learning_by_drowning_01.mp3

The tune was recorded soem years ago in a 2 room flat, 1. floor, in Copenhagen on a 4 track cassette, no studio, no rehearsals, 2 overdubs.
Claus : Musicman bassguitar, chapman stick, drum-machine, tape with female voice, additional rythmguitar on the D piece.
Me: all other guitars with & whitout treatments & effects, echoguitars, sologuitars.

yogibear
11-11-2012, 05:29 PM
i have a couple three guitars that i bang around with nice little bedroom amp not like the gear y'all have got.
Mesa Boogie studio caliber DC-2. 20 watts tube power with a foot switch.
Signature guitar; twin humbucking pu's electric (like a PRS purchased from ed roman guitars ) hotter than normal pickups has the "bird" inlays in the neck.
Alvarez acoustic 6 string guitar like a gibson jumbo blond yellow big body.
Simon and Patrick luthier 6 string acoustic mahogany body single cutaway; strings were a touch too high so I had them lowered a little bit plays wonderfully.

wideopenears
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Will get some pics later, but:

Tune Zii 6 String bass, koa top, early 90's Japanese make
Basses Loaded 6 string bass, customized fretless sloppy self-conversion
Squier Affinity J Bass, black
Sitar, made in Calcutta / Kolkata
Violin, can't recall the make but it's a nice instrument--was Grandma's and it was modeled on a Strad.
Piano--a friend's upright, currently living in my garage. It's an old upright, very beautiful.

Eden 210XLT
AMP BH-260 head
Demeter Tube Pre-Amp
TC Electronics Parametric EQ/Preamp
SWR LA Series practice/small amp, don't recall exact model.

Rarebird
11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Piano--a friend's upright, currently living in my garage. It's an old upright, very beautiful.

Is your friend living in your garage, or the piano?;)

Progbear
11-13-2012, 12:15 AM
It's just a controller, it doesn't make any sound by itself. You can hook it up to hardware synth racks or a computer and play those sounds with it. In my keyboard rig it appears a lot of impossible sounds are coming out of some old 80s vintage keyboards because they're all MIDId to something else- not one of them actually has the audio output plugged in :D

Which, if anyone's interested is:

Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq Mirage
Roland RS-9
M-Audio Keystation 61

That’s actually a really cool idea, nice to know those 80s digital synths still have their uses. My limited experience with the DX7 was that the on-board sounds were dreadful but the keyboard itself was very nice and responsive, and felt very piano-like. I think it would work superbly as a MIDI controller. (The other digi-synth I played with at the time was the Casio CZ-101, about which I have nothing nice to say. :p)

EDIT: Looks like the one to get for MIDI controller purposes is the DX7 II. I’d recommend the DX7 IIFD, as it would be nice for all those old floppy discs to finally have a purpose. :lol Though if you’re just using it as a MIDI controller, perhaps not. Any other cheap, junky 80s digi-synths you’d recommend for MIDI controller purposes?

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Neutron Bomb”-Mythos/Concrete City

Kim Olesen
11-13-2012, 03:59 AM
That’s actually a really cool idea, nice to know those 80s digital synths still have their uses. My limited experience with the DX7 was that the on-board sounds were dreadful but the keyboard itself was very nice and responsive, and felt very piano-like. I think it would work superbly as a MIDI controller. (The other digi-synth I played with at the time was the Casio CZ-101, about which I have nothing nice to say. :p)

EDIT: Looks like the one to get for MIDI controller purposes is the DX7 II. I’d recommend the DX7 IIFD, as it would be nice for all those old floppy discs to finally have a purpose. :lol Though if you’re just using it as a MIDI controller, perhaps not. Any other cheap, junky 80s digi-synths you’d recommend for MIDI controller purposes?

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Neutron Bomb”-Mythos/Concrete City

I love the keys on my roland jv30.

trurl
11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Yep, the DX7 has a great action, and wheels, which I prefer to joysticks. I seem to remember the DX7 II was a bit more clicky and plastic, but it did have a decent MIDI implementation. The DX7 has nothing- basic MIDI out on one channel, that's pretty much it *lol* But I do all my routing and mapping through the sequencer.

Mikhael
11-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Hmm.
Guitars: Parker P-38 and Nitefly SA, Yamaha RGz something, Hamer Chaparral, Godin SolidAC (all highly modified). Ibanez classical, Seagull steel-string, and a Gibson S-1 that I've modified the poop out of.

Amps: Pearce G1 and G2r; I've tried so many others, and nothing comes close. Crate 4x12", Peavey 2x12" (used to be a 4x12"), both stereo, with Celestions.

Pedalboard1; amp: guitar > line6 wireless > DOD Milkbox compressor > Morley vol/wah > Pearce G2r [FX loop] > Rocktron compressor/hush > DigiTech IPS33 harmonizer > t.c. electronic G-Major > [FX loop in] > Crate cab. It's controlled by a Rolls MidiBuddy, and the G-Major switches amp channels based on the program. There's also an ADA MicroCab for DI to the PA. The Rocktron unit is simply for boosting the volume a bit for leads.

Pedalboard2; DI: guitar magnetic pickup output > line6 wireless > DOD Milkbox compressor > Morley vol/wah > DigiTech RP-12 > Morley volume > PA. SECOND SIDE: guitar piezo output > Sennheiser wireless > Morley mini-volume > Fishman Aura pedal > Zoom acoustic FX pedal > PA. This is for the Parkers and the Godin, playing with a copy band. I'm going to replace the amp sims of the RP-12 with the Pearce G1 as a preamp, and an ADA cab simulator. The FX of the RP-12 will be replaced with another G-Major. The second volume pedal in the magnetic pickup line is for boosting a bit for leads.

This all looks and sounds complicated, but it's dirt simple to operate. One button push on the RP-12 or MidiBuddy switches everything for me; no more tap-dancing...

Drums: Tama Superstar birch 7-piece kit, 6.5" deep Artstar snare, DW5000 double pedals and hihat, Cymbals: 13" fusion hats, 10" splash, 13" splash/crash, 2x12" splashes, 14" crash, 16" crash, 18" china, 10" Max stack, 21" rock ride, mostly Sabian AAX (a couple of Zildjians thrown in). Roland Pad11 percussion pad, and a set of Rototoms my wife bought me. Vic Firth 7ANs, baby.

Keys: old Korg 707, Alesis QSr with MidiMan controller, old Yamaha something-or-other. Mostly the Alesis provides the sounds.

Bass: a WONDERFUL old Aria ProII fretless copy of a Jazz bass, with all the electronics replaced. This thing plays and sounds better than any Fender I've ever played.

PA: 4800W system (do I need to list all that crap?) I've got 6 mixers, 5 power amps, 6 mains cabinets, 2 subs, and 4 monitors. I need to sell some of this stuff...

wideopenears
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Is your friend living in your garage, or the piano?;)

HA! the piano...not the friend!

Rarebird
11-14-2012, 05:55 AM
HA! the piano...not the friend!

Poor poor piano, suffering in a garage.;)

ffroyd
11-14-2012, 06:52 AM
In order of when I aquired them:

Roland SH-101 monophonic synthesizer
Roland JX-3P polyphonic synthesizer
Yamaha RX17 drum machine
Casio CZ-3000 synthesizer
Yamaha QY10 MIDI sequencer
Kawai XS-1 desktop synth module
Boss Dr. Pad 4 drum pad
Korg Rhythm 55 drum machine
E-mu xl-7 command station
Alesis Micron virtual analog synth
Dave Smith Instruments Mopho desktop analog synth module
Korg Kaossilator touch pad synth
Korg Mini-Kaos Pad touch pad effects processor
Bleeplabs Thingamableep 2
Jomox T-Resonator time woven filter matrix
Korg Kaossilator Pro touch pad synthesizer
Novation xio 25 virtual analog synthesizer
M-audio Venom virtual analog synthesizer
TC Electronics Flashback
Yamaha PSR E423 keyboard
Pigtronix Echolution delay pedal

Wow, I didn't realize I had so much stuff...and there are dozens of other things on my want list. I guess I have no life.

Baribrotzer
11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Instruments and equipment:

A plethora of gear, most of it old and beat-up, and almost all bought used. I'm badly out of practice on a fair number of the instruments, notably the guitars and percussion, and there are a few I've never even learned to play, like the accordion I picked up after I first heard Astor Piazzolla. Some of the stands and cases are home-made, as are the pedalboards and packaging. Quite a few of those are unfinished or works in progress.

A full list of everything would take a while to put together. Maybe I'll do that someday, but don't really feel like it now.

Pekka
11-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Here's some of mine:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/gear%20008.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/DRJazz.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/Roadster.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/T.Birds.jpg

trurl
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sweet Hiwatt!!

Pekka
11-21-2012, 09:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sweet Hiwatt!!

Yes it is (a 1977 DR103). Probably the best purchase I've ever made. Bought it in 1997 for a fraction they go nowadays and it's been my only amp since. Should have bought two when they were cheaper and should have bought the 8x10" cab also a lot earlier than I eventually did (2008).:)

The bass pedals on top of the Ampeg cab is a Korg PK-13/BPX-3. I just learned they are quite rare nowadays? It isn't a Taurus 'though; it provides a good enough solid low end but that's about it. A chorus pedal helps a lot. Anybody wanna change them for a set of Moog pedals? Even a Taurus II will do.:rofl

Luis Nasser
11-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm really not a gear head at all.

I like simple set-ups that are sturdy, reliable, and easy to carry/set-up and break down. However, after 12 years of playing through a Hartkee Head and Genz benz cabs, About 2 years ago i switched to Mark Bass and i have never been happier. Truly, unbelievable tone and great live snarl. Super easy to dial up great tones.

I have a Jeff Berlin CMD 151P, and I stack it on a Mark Bass 151 New York cabinet. For effects, I use a Boss ME 50B when I play live. It took a lot of tweaking, but i can get all the sounds I need and it's fairly easy to haul around.

With Might Could, i play a Fender Victor Bailey Model acoustic bass with Elixir strings.

With Sonus Umbra, Fanfare (ELP tribute), Champions of Nothing (Kevin Gilbert Shaming of the true) and Silver Pipe (Tull tribute) I use a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee with a hipshot tuner, and DR Marcus Miller Fatbeams. Sometimes I still go back to Rotosound swing strings. I used the same set-up for an Elton John deep cuts gig we played a few months ago here in Chicago.

When I play/record with Pete Laramee, I use an Ernie Ball Bongo 5-String bass. Since that guy churns and chunks on a 7-string guitar, the 5-string bass is not optional, but i have always found 5-string bass guitars somewhat uncomfortable. I used it a bit early on with the Champions of Nothing (some of the tunes use it, especially tunes like "City of the Sun" and "Staring Into Nothing" that feature ultra low, grumbly C riffs) but it became more trouble than it was worth, and I can now basically do it all on my Jazz with drop D and raising those C's one octave.

Other than that, I have an Ovation Nylon string that I have used to write a LOT of tunes over the years, and sometimes played live with Sonus Umbra. The rest of the music I write either on my Korg 01W FD or a Yamaha YDP S31 electric piano that is truly a joy to play. That Korg has been used live by a lot of other bands besides Sonus, including Pain of Salvation and Ars Nova when they played at Progday.

I also have, but seldom use, some Roland bass pedals that are used as controllers for a E-mu Proteus 3 rack. Given that every band I'm in besides the Champs has Brian Harris on keys, it is now unlikely i will ever play them live again.

I forgot, so this is the edit: i have a very comfy Strat that i use to write when I'm not on the nylon string. I wish I could change that for a Gibson SG. For whatever reason, a Gibson SG is just a delight to play. It can really sing on leads, it has a nice crunch/beef sound, and the clean parts come out with just the right amount of snarl for live. Too expensive for something you just use to test ideas on electric though...

arabicadabra
11-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Luis how's that hipshot tuner work on your bass during songs? Is it just to change tunings in-between songs or do you create a musical effect by activating it while playing?

kid_runningfox
11-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Ok, my set-up:

Guitars:

Ibanez RS-1010SL Steve Lukather Sig
Ibanez RS-530 - Heavily modified with Kahler trem, Floyd Rose nut, Sperzels, SD Allan Holdsworth and Ibanez F2 pickups
Washburn Tour 24 - newly acquired very 80s black and red Telecaster thingy with Kahler trem, Floyd nut and 2x humbuckers
'Fender' Stratocaster - handmade body, Fender USA neck, 2 x Kent Armstrong s/c and SD Invader pickups, Sperzels, Fender/Floyd trem and LSR roller nut.
'Bitsa' Thinline Telecaster
Colin Kendall handmade acoustic 6-string (main axe these days now it appears I've gone unplugged!)
Faith Saturn II 12-string

Basses:
Guild Pilot 6-string fretted
Yamaha RBX270F 4-string fretless

Effects:
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Behringer Midiboard
CMI Wah
Morley Volume
Dod Graphic EQ pedal

Amplification:
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
No-Name 4x12 cab equipped with Fane speakers
Ashdown Blue 130 1x15 Bass Combo

Luis Nasser
11-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Luis how's that hipshot tuner work on your bass during songs? Is it just to change tunings in-between songs or do you create a musical effect by activating it while playing?
I mostly use it to change tunings between songs, but I sometimes use it as part of a phrase, going from E to low D and then back.

Pekka
11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Here's a list of mine (just to remind me I don't need more)

Basses:

1991 Rickenbacker 4003
1976 Gibson Thunderbird
1983 Squier Jazz Bass (JV series)
1980 Ibanez RS900 (Roadster)
2004 custom made (by Ville Tyyster) Telecaster bass (1968 style)
2006 custom made (by Ville Tyyster) 3-pickup stereo Jazz Bass (Doug Rauch style)
2004 Waterstone TP-2 12-string bass with custom pickups and wired in stereo
2001 Hamer CH-12 neck w/ a custom body & custom pickups and wired in stereo
2008 Danelectro Longhorn
2010 custom made (by Marko Ursin) non-reverse Thunderbird bass
2008 custom made (by Marko Ursin) Alembic style 32" scale bass
1980's Aria SB700, modded as a 6-string (tuned E-E)
2011 Frankenstein (=made from parts) Precision bass (1973 Wetton style)
2012 Frankenstein P-body/Tele neck bass (1978 Neil Murray style)

Amps and cabs:
1977 Hiwatt DR103 valve head (4 input Hylight)
1994 Ampeg E810 8x10" cab
2009 EBS CL212 2x12" cab

Effects and pedals include Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal, H&K Rotosphere II, Digitech Stereo Delay, Ibanez Chorus/Flanger DCF10 etc.

I still need a fretless since I sold my 80's Jazz Bass Special. An old Ibanez Musician, a Stingray, Yamaha BB2000 perhaps, or even a Fender Jazz would do as a fretless. Then, as I like Andy Fraser so much, I need an EB-3 Gibson and while we're at it an EB-2 would do as well or better still, a Guild Starfire with two Hagström pickups. Another Hiwatt head to complete my stereo setup or maybe an old solid state Sunn Coliseum or both....and another Dano Longhorn that could be modded as a fretless (great for rockabilly!)...and of course...

:(

syncopatico
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Something scary to see:

my crappy ol' 1978 left-handed custom SG with Roland synth guitar pick-up (attached with 'poster putty' so i can easily remove it when i want to!) ;) 627628

Mr.A
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Images of Relative Timeworx Studio (now packed up and relocating)

http://www.relativetime.com/studiotour/studio2tn.jpg http://www.relativetime.com/studiotour/studio4tn.jpg

http://www.relativetime.com/studiotour/studio6tn.jpg http://www.relativetime.com/studiotour/studio7tn.jpg

Guitars
Godin XTSA
Gibson Blues Hawk
Schecter Diamond Series TSH-12
Guild D25 (not pictured)
Guild D212M
Breedlove Studio C250/SM 12 (not pictured)
C.F.Martin D1
C.F.Martin XC1T Eclipse (not pictured)
C.F.Martin Backpacker

Basses
Warwick Thumb Bass
Veillette-Citron Limited Edition
Tune Fretless Bass Maniac
Tune TWX51 5-string
Carlos Robelli UBD510 8-string
Reynolds JR1000 Acoustic Bass

MIDI Controllers
Zendrum ZXZW
Roland D50 (2)
Roland PK1 Bass Pedals (not pictured)
Roland PD5 Drum Pads (not pictured)

Synth Racks
EMU Vintage Keys
Novation A Station
Alesis D4
Alesis DM5

Guitar Processing
Boss GT-8
Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth
Mesa Boogie V-Twin

Sean
11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
That hunk of swiss cheese with fridge magnets all over it is a compelling piece of art to hang on the wall! ;)

PS I know it's a ZenDrum, but still....

Mikhael
11-30-2012, 06:37 PM
How do you like that Godin XTSA? I have a SolidAC, which is basically an XTSA without the synth. It sounds and plays nice, but the bugger will NOT stay in tune, despite locking tuners and two luthiers working on the nut.

mogrooves
12-01-2012, 03:04 AM
Guitars (over the years):

1962 Stratocaster (sunburst)
1964 Sears Silvertone (case doubles as amp)
1967 Telecaster (blond, maple neck, black pickguard)
1968 Les Paul Standard (goldtop, soapbox pickups)
1970 Gibson L-5 (archtop, sunburst, floating D'Armond "rhythm chief" pickup)
1970 Ovation Deluxe Balladeer (acoustic)
1973 Gibson ES-175 (blond, two humbuckers)
1975 Ramirez Concert 1-A, classical

Amps:

1966 Fender Dual Showman
1968 Marshall 50-watt "plexi", with 8x10 cab
1970 Marshall 100-watt stack (2 4x12 cabs)
1973 Hiwatt 100-watt stack (2 4x12 cabs)
1980 Polytone Mini-Brute IV

FX:

1966 Gibson Maestro Fuzz tone
1968 Marshall Supa Fuzz
1968 Vox Cry-Baby Wah
1970 Echoplex
1970 Colorsound volume pedal
1970 Gibson Maestro Phase shifter

Keys:

1973 Mellotron (reconditioned Mk II)

Jymbot
12-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Holy creambun!

You still gots that mellotron?

Pekka
12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Holy creambun!

Or that Hiwatt stack?

rapidfirerob
12-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Check my avatar for the gear I play out with: 85 Alembic spoiler
two GK Neo 112s, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Cooperstand, Boss TU-3 tuner.
I also own a Michael Kelly Dragonfly ABG, Ibanez SR300 Fretless, and my old 71 Gibson EB3-L.
I'm also a hack guitarist and own a 67 SG I got for $200 from the rhythm guitarist when I was in grad school, 75 Gibson L40 acoustic.

Jimmy Giant
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Pic circa 2000

Moved twice since 2006 and haven't set anything back up.....yet!

Sold P600, selling Matrix 6&6r, Pro One, Omni 2, MonoPoly (ebay soon)

Added:
DSI Prophet 08 mod
DSI Desktop Evolver
Access Virus Snow mod
Moog Minitaur
Kronos

mogrooves
12-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Regrettably, no. It had fallen into disrepair and disuse by the late 70s and was ultimately trashed.

Or that Hiwatt stack?

No, I sold it in the mid-70s.

Jymbot
12-02-2012, 10:56 AM
How did you manage to get it in the first place?

Can't see how you could trash something like THAT.

mogrooves
12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
How did you manage to get it in the first place?

I bought it when I lived in London in '73-'74. It was in utter disrepair so I got it for a song. Shipping it home (USA) I took it to the Mellotron distributorship in New Jersey where it was re-built/modified.

Can't see how you could trash something like THAT.

I can't believe I got rid of those guitars!!

Mr.A
12-04-2012, 07:10 AM
How do you like that Godin XTSA? I have a SolidAC, which is basically an XTSA without the synth. It sounds and plays nice, but the bugger will NOT stay in tune, despite locking tuners and two luthiers working on the nut.

I do like the XTSA - it produces a pretty wide range of tones and the guitar synth tracks well.
On the downside, the middle pickup is somewhat unimpressive and I'm not really a tremolo player so the addition provides no value but is the source of some tuning headaches... but they are managed if enough care is put into the restringing process. With the tremolo bridge properly seated, tuning remains pretty solid.

The surprise gem of the bunch is the Schecter 12 string - a model they no longer produce. I like it over any electric 12 string I've played, Ricks included, and it was only about $700...!

The Twickerman
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Can't resist!!!

I play bass, guitars and bass pedals in a prog covers band. Here's what I am using:-

Basses and Guitars:-
Rickenbacker-style custom built 12/4 twin neck (Rutherford replica)
Rickenbacker 4001cs
Rickenbacker 4003s/8
Rickenbacker 4001 (backup)
Rickenbacker 620/12
Patrick Eggle New York

Synth:-
Taurus III bass pedals

Amplifcation:-
Trace Elliott Valve Twin bass head & 1x15 cab
Sessionette 75 guitar combo

Effects:-
SFX custom switchbox
Ernie Ball stereo cross-fading volume pedal
EBS Polytune mini tuner
Wattson SuperFuzz (Shaftesbury clone)
Fulltone Bass Drive MOSFET
Malekko B:Assmaster (Brassmaster clone)
Fulltone ChoralFange
Boss OC-2
Boss DD-6

Waiting in the wings:-
Acoustic 360 preamp clone
Lovepedal Babyface tremolo
iStomp
Shaftesbury Duofuzz (original)
MXR Phase 100 (original)
Boss AW-3
Maxon AF-3
CSL SuperFuzz (original)

Mikhael
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I do like the XTSA - it produces a pretty wide range of tones and the guitar synth tracks well.
On the downside, the middle pickup is somewhat unimpressive and I'm not really a tremolo player so the addition provides no value but is the source of some tuning headaches... but they are managed if enough care is put into the restringing process. With the tremolo bridge properly seated, tuning remains pretty solid.

I've got the bridge working fine; when I waggle the vibrato bar, while holding down a barre chord, it stays in tune just fine. But if there are any open strings, you can hear them pinging away at the headstock. Interesting that you mentioned the middle pickup; I replaced mine with an Area 58. I think the 61 would work better with the two humbuckers, though.

Pekka
12-05-2012, 02:38 AM
Rickenbacker-style custom built 12/4 twin neck (Rutherford replica)

Picture of this please. I mean: right now!

Rickenbacker 4003s/8

Does it have Rickenbacker's original string arrangement (the bass string first) or have you reversed it? My friend has a late 80's 4003/8 and while it's a droolworthy bass it didn't feel good to play because of the string arrangement. The 4 saddle bridge was also a bit of a pain.

Garden Dreamer
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's some of mine:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/gear%20008.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/DRJazz.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/Roadster.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/T.Birds.jpg

Nice!!!!!! Can I come over to play?? :)

The Twickerman
12-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Picture of this please. I mean: right now!

Does it have Rickenbacker's original string arrangement (the bass string first) or have you reversed it? My friend has a late 80's 4003/8 and while it's a droolworthy bass it didn't feel good to play because of the string arrangement. The 4 saddle bridge was also a bit of a pain.

It has the fattest string uppermost. Bit of a pig to play, to be honest - but sounds like a grand piano!

Pekka
12-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Fantastic! What Ric was used for the bass part? Don't say you slaughtered a 60's 4001...:o

Anyway, yours and Rutherford's original looks much better than Rickenbacker's own 4080/12 in my opinion. The guitar on top looks more natural

[QUOTE=The Twickerman;16144]It has the fattest string uppermost. Bit of a pig to play, to be honest - but sounds like a grand piano!

It shouldn't be too hard to reverse since all tuners are the same size. You'll need only a new saddle.

rekkidboyd
12-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I moved recently and had to sell a lot of my prized musical possessions. It still hurts-lol. I kept the bare bones so I could still go out and play.

1983 Squier Bullet by Fender, MIJ
70's Pan Tele MIJ
70's Ventura acoustic MIJ

65 reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Valve Jr with matching cabinet
Behringer PA head

various pedal effects

The Twickerman
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=The Twickerman;16144]685

Fantastic! What Ric was used for the bass part? Don't say you slaughtered a 60's 4001...:o

It was entirely bespoke. So no instruments were harmed in the making of this double-neck!

Anyway, yours and Rutherford's original looks much better than Rickenbacker's own 4080/12 in my opinion. The guitar on top looks more natural

Not just that - it's infinitely more playable. I need that 12-string close to hand!

kid_runningfox
12-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I've got the bridge working fine; when I waggle the vibrato bar, while holding down a barre chord, it stays in tune just fine. But if there are any open strings, you can hear them pinging away at the headstock. If you can stomach the thought of it, you might want to think about replacing the nut either with a Graphtech version, or even go as far as fitting a Floyd Rose-style locking nut. I've done the latter with both of my Kahler-equipped guitars (the Kahler behind-the-nut clamp is worse than useless), and it's done wonders for the tuning. That said, it might not be the best course to take if the Godin doesn't have fine-tuners at the bridge.

Pam George
12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Here's my brand spanking new US Telecaster. It was a birthday present from my husband, who knew I always wanted a sea foam green Tele. It was white, but he had it sent to Mile Lull in Seattle who had his guy refinish it. Then Mike put it back together with better shielding and Lindy Fralin Broadcaster Hybrid pickups.

Here it is next to Randy's Rick. I absolutely LOVE this Tele!

http://oi50.tinypic.com/wqj60.jpg

Mikhael
12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
If you can stomach the thought of it, you might want to think about replacing the nut either with a Graphtech version, or even go as far as fitting a Floyd Rose-style locking nut. I've done the latter with both of my Kahler-equipped guitars (the Kahler behind-the-nut clamp is worse than useless), and it's done wonders for the tuning. That said, it might not be the best course to take if the Godin doesn't have fine-tuners at the bridge.

I have no problem with hacking up guitars to make them play better. I'm NOT a vintage nut; rather, the opposite. The guitar is just a tool for me, and I want it right. Yeah, I had the nut replaced, and asked for the GraphTech Black Tusq XL, and the stupid bugger put some no-name graphite nut on it, which didn't work. I just got the Tusq XL nut, and I'm going to install it myself, since the luthiers here in Austin don't listen.

Interesting that you didn't like the Kahler behind-the-nut lock though. I put one on a 70s Les Paul that I installed the Kahler on, and it worked beautifully. This guitar would literally stay in tune for a month at a time after that installation. Unsure what your problem might have been, as I used the bar a LOT at that time, and the lock never let me down. And no, no fine-tuners at the bridge. The vibrato on the Godin is a standard two-post Strat style. Replacing it would be expensive, as the bridge has Piezos in it to get a pseudo-acoustic sound.

kid_runningfox
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Interesting that you didn't like the Kahler behind-the-nut lock though. I put one on a 70s Les Paul that I installed the Kahler on, and it worked beautifully. This guitar would literally stay in tune for a month at a time after that installation. Unsure what your problem might have been, as I used the bar a LOT at that time, and the lock never let me down.

Just bad luck on my own guitars, I guess, especially as I've played other Kahler-equipped guitars that had better tuning stability than mine. Tried all sorts of things to get them to stabilise, but no dice until I replaced the Kahler locking nut with the Floyd version. Weird huh?? :)

Mikhael
12-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Just bad luck on my own guitars, I guess, especially as I've played other Kahler-equipped guitars that had better tuning stability than mine. Tried all sorts of things to get them to stabilise, but no dice until I replaced the Kahler locking nut with the Floyd version. Werid huh?? :)

Yeah, mechanical things can be thrown off by the smallest thing. It could've been the small distance from the nut to the lock; on my LP I recut the nut slots to insure the strings wouldn't hang there, and I put the string lock as close as I could to the nut. That Kahler worked incredibly well. If it wasn't for my need to have the acoustic sound available, I'd still by using Kahlers instead of Floyds...

Robbue
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Being a studio owner has been a major source of GAS for a long time but here is my humble set up >
http://trprecordingstudio.com/Studio_Pics.php

rapidfirerob
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Being a studio owner has been a major source of GAS for a long time but here is my humble set up >
http://trprecordingstudio.com/Studio_Pics.php
Beautiful looking set up. Is the couch comfy?

Robbue
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Beautiful looking set up. Is the couch comfy?

Thanks! Actually it is... lol

It was the cheapest thing I found that was semi comfortable. It's a futon bed too so when I get caught up in a long 3am session I crash on it.

kid_runningfox
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Some not terribly good photos of my own guitars (I really need to start using a better camera than the one on my phone):

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/64995_10151178341497001_239097306_n.jpg
Ibanez RS530

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425606_10151178341487001_93133664_n.jpg
Colin Kendall Acoustic

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224827_10151178341507001_2137779245_n.jpg
Faith Saturn 12-string

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/60900_10151179153007001_1796924921_n.jpg
Washburn Tour 24

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/281217_10151178342162001_1854410200_n.jpg
Ibanez Steve Lukather Signature

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525098_10151178342167001_554866910_n.jpg
'Fender' Stratocaster

Robbue
12-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Love the color of that strat! Gorgeous!

Robbue
12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/robbue123/GuitarsampAmps_zps1e2ee729.jpg

Here are some of my guitars and amps.

kid_runningfox
12-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Here's some footage of me playing the Colin Kendall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtWNoAarWo&feature=player_embedded#!

Robbue
12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Sweet!! I cant do that kind of musical tapping. I've tried and I just keep hitting the fretboard like a bear thats trying to break something. LOL

everythingtoexcess
12-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Finally I have time to start contributing on here.
I worked in a music store for 9 years and in that time I accumulated a ton of gear. How much? For example, I've put together and sold 3 small PA systems to the school I work at and I still have a small one and a huge one. I currently have 29 guitars. Highlights include 3 American Deluxe Strats ('93 with Lace Sensors, Ash bodied '97 with EMGs and a Candy Tangerine '04 with the Sumerium Cobalt pickups. I got the '04 for FREE for selling a crapload of Fender gear one Christmas. Andy Sears was playing it when Twelfth Night played at NEARfest.) 2 Music Man John Petruccis (one "standard" one and one JPXI6 with piezo) 3 Taylor acoustics (t5, 814 and GS Limited Cocobolo) American Deluxe Tele, '83 Explorer (Korina, but painted black from the factory), '99 Ibanez Jem, Fender Talon IV, Ibanez S540, Fender Geddy Lee J bass, and a bunch that I've made out of various scrap parts. If the story I got is to be believed, I also have a prototype of a solid-body Martin electric that never went into production from around 1970. There is, of course, no evidence of this, but if proof ever presents itself, I'm retiring.
Amp wise I have a Line 6 Vetta which I have been running through a 1960B and an Ampeg SE412. I've recently switched back to the Line 6 2x12 cabinet and I've been really enjoying the edgy-ness of it. I also have a Peavey VTM 60 head, which had needed new tubes for years. One day I'll get that done. It's a screamer. I've still got all of my old rack gear, too. I used a GSP2101 with a Rocktron power amp for years.
I also have a first generation 16-bit ADAT, which I paid as much for as I could have. Bought it THE DAY it came out. I think I paid $2100 for it. Last time I checked a blue book, it was worth $38. Might as well keep it. I run Pro Tools now on a hot rodded PC through an MAudio FW 1814. I still have TWO Echo Layla 24's that I used when I had Sonar. (paid a ton for one, got the second one for $50)
I'm not a keyboard player by any stretch of the imagination, so I only have a Yamaha Motif 8, Alesis QS7 and an Ensoniq TS10. Oh, and a Korg Poly 6000 which mostly doesn't work. One day I'll get that going again.
Roland GR09 and GR33 guitar synths.
For PA, I have 2 QSC K12s, Mackie SR24-4, Mackie CFX 16, Mackie SRM 450s, Yamaha subs (15s) and an OLD Crown 2400. I also have a 100' 24 channel snake that is the heaviest, most awful thing in the universe, but I can't seem to get myself to get rid of it.
I'm sure there's more, but I doubt anyone will even read this far.
K

Robbue
12-23-2012, 12:02 AM
29 guitars!! WOW.

Cool to read someone else still diggin their Vetta.

everythingtoexcess
12-23-2012, 10:22 AM
29 guitars!! WOW.

Yeah, the guitar thing wasn't a problem when I was still at the store. I discovered that if I waited long enough, whatever I wanted would somehow come to me and usually CHEAP. I actually topped out at 32, but I've sold a couple here and there when money needs arose. When I left the music store, I thought the buying party was over, but it's just slowed down. I just booked a big fat private party with my acoustic group, and I think that will give me enough "spare" cash to buy #30...older Music Man Silhouette hardtail with an ash body. It's not much to look at, but it plays like it was made for me.
The Vetta is my baby. I get that tube amps sound and feel better, but I'd need 3 or 4 of them to get the sounds I'm used to. And I've decided that for live use, there is no way in hell anyone can tell the difference. Plus, it has lots of lights and chicks dig the lights.

JSS
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
My 'couch o' Fenders'

'65 Mustang, '66 PJ, '78 Mustang ($80, yard sale, Leo Fender died on same night - true story), and 2000 Spalted Maple tele

No Pride
12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I still use mine too, depending on how much room I have on the stage and how loud I can play.

My latest rig is a Line 6 PodHD500 with the Line 6 DT25 1x12 combo amp. Having a tube power amp like the DT25 does really helps the "realism." I wasn't knocked out by the Spider Valve, but I think the Line 6/Bogner collaboration finally hit it's stride with the DT series. It's still pretty new for me, but I've done two gigs with it now and I'm digging it! I think I would need the DT50 for bigger venues although the DT25 is fine for the smaller ones. But most of the bigger venues I play are on the road, where I backline a Mesa Triple Rectifier half stack and use my Line 6 M13 with it. I think I may try the PodHD500 with it the next time I'm on the road. All my patches use preamp models with no power amp modelling or cabinet simulations, so it might work well!

Robbue
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I love my Spider 112 for some cleans and edgy bluesy stuff. But the high gain sounds are still too fizzy. My life changed though when I bought the Kemper Profiling Amp. It completely ended my amp gas for good. : )

Pekka
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Two Frankensteins:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/pb%26nmp.jpg

On left; a '75 Fender Precision ash body, double-Jazz pickup on the bridge with a singlecoil-humbucking switch, a reversed P pickup in the middle underneath the big cover, an Allparts Telecaster neck and a stereo/mono switchable outputs. A tribute to Neil Murray's old Fender.

On right: Hosco alder body with a Danish Oil finish and a '75 Fender Precision neck (the previous owner had installed an old style spaghettilogo and nitro finish). I always liked stripped old P basses with rosewood fingerboards, mainly because Wetton played one with Crimson (until he painted it white) and also because of Levin and John Deacon. Anyway, a great and light bass and the neck has really been "driven in" with a thousand gigs behind it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4322198/telecaster.jpg

A Telecaster bass made by Ville Tyyster in 2004. Has probably the best sound when played through a cranked-up Hiwatt.

Iszil
01-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Not pictures at the moment but here it goes:
- Ibanez SAS32FM electric guitar
- Walden Natura acoustic guitar
- Line 6 POD HD500
- Peavey Studio pro 112

It's not great but it's handy. I really want a Telecaster. God, I love that sound!

JIF
01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
My first synthesizer was a Roland System 100 model 101, which I still own. It's no longer in use, and a picture can be seen as background on my homepage.
My 19" rack contains from top to bottom:
Motu Midi Express 128 midi-interface
Emu Proteus/1
Kawai K1 rII (I have a lot of sounds for this one on the computer, but with my current version of Cubase it's no longer possible to load them in the synthesizer)
Yamaha TX81Z
Akai Z4 sampler
Nord G2 Engine
My keyboards:
Nord Electro 2 sixty-one
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Mixer, effects, recorder:
Mackie CR1604 16 channel mic/line mixer
Akai Professional Digital Reverb EX90R
Pearl Model F605 Analog Delay (not really in use)
Korg D1200mkII Harddiskrecorder
Alas no pictures yet.Is M-Audio like a Mellotron? I saw one of those keyboards on Geoff Downes' rig in the Making Of Fly From Here dvd.

Rarebird
01-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Is M-Audio like a Mellotron? I saw one of those keyboards on Geoff Downes' rig in the Making Of Fly From Here dvd.

No, it's just a 88 key weighted master-keyboard.

JIF
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
No, it's just a 88 key weighted master-keyboard.So, it doesn't produce choir or orchestra sounds? :(

Rarebird
01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
So, it doesn't produce choir or orchestra sounds? :(

No, only if i connect it to my sampler. It doesn't have any capabilities to produce sounds on its own.

JIF
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
No, only if i connect it to my sampler. It doesn't have any capabilities to produce sounds on its own.Then, what's it used for?

trurl
01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Then, what's it used for?

Imagine a synthesizer. You're probably thinking of an instrument with a keyboard but that's just convention- it doesn't have to have a keyboard. It could be just the electronics that make the sound in a rack unit and you use a totally separate keyboard via MIDI to control it, or even a guitar. Now imagine the keyboard part separated by itself. It has no electronics to generate sound inside, just the electronics to act a a controller for whatever sound source we want to hook it up to, be that another keyboard synth, a rack module, or computer. That's what we're talking about- keyboards that do NOTHING but output MIDI control data via a MIDI jack or USB. They are light and cheap, but useless until you connect them to something else. On our upcoming shows I will have four of these, 3 61 key and 1 88 key controller connected to a computer and the computer will act as all the virtual synths and keyboards. The beauty part is all I have to take with me is a laptop on a plane. The gig can provide the controllers for me and I will have the exact same rig wherever I go.

Baribrotzer
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
On our upcoming shows I will have four of these, 3 61 key and 1 88 key controller connected to a computer and the computer will act as all the virtual synths and keyboards. The beauty part is all I have to take with me is a laptop on a plane. The gig can provide the controllers for me and I will have the exact same rig wherever I go.And that won't give you latency problems? It's a lot to ask of one laptop. Although I suppose you're a good enough musician to compensate - to play a precise amount ahead of the beat so the notes come out right in place.

trurl
01-05-2013, 11:51 PM
And that won't give you latency problems? It's a lot to ask of one laptop. Although I suppose you're a good enough musician to compensate - to play a precise amount ahead of the beat so the notes come out right in place.

No latency issues, and I'm not using a particularly high end machine. It's just down to having enough memory, optimizing the OS and choosing plugins wisely.

fictionmusic
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
No latency issues, and I'm not using a particularly high end machine. It's just down to having enough memory, optimizing the OS and choosing plugins wisely.

absolutely...I use a Dell laptop with Live on it. I have an M-aduio Axiom and a Radium plugged into it. I use the Korg plugs, the Native Instrument Komplete package, Linplug, U-He, Arturia and G-Force plug-ins with no latency issues at all. I used to use an edirol usb audio interface but it fell one two many times and doesn't work anymore. I had an old Firewire 410 kicking about and it does the trick nicely. No latency, no massive computer, BUT the computer is stripped down to essentials and has most of the XP defaults taken or turned off.

There used to be a site that told you how to optimize a PC laptop for music but I can't seem to find it.

Also...using Speedswitch XP helps considerably.

Jacob Holm-Lupo
01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm an equipment minimalist. I currently own 3 guitars, my trusty red Gibson SG, a rather nice-sounding Yamaha acoustic (so nice in fact that I ended up selling my much more expensive Martin acoustic because I stopped using it) and an Alhambra classical that I never use because it reminds me of how much I have forgotten about playing classical guitar.

For keyboards I mostly use plugins, because any keys I record will always be replaced by able persons with great instruments. I have libraries of Prophet 5, PPG Wave, Fairlight, Synclavier, Polysix and various Oberheim sounds for my EXS24. I also have the Arturia CS-80v which is real nice, and of course Logic's bundled synths. And an M-Audio Keyrig 49 to play them with. Hardware synths are Ensoniq TS10, Korg Poly800 and a defect Korg Polysix. What else, let's see... a Squire P-Bass which is lovely, and an assortment of percussion instruments. Amps are a LabSeries L7 (great), Fender Princeton (nice for clean, mix-friendly tones) and one of those Roland Cubes that actually sounds amazing.

Apart from that it's the recording gear. Logic 9 (been a Logic user since the Emagic days) running on a MacBook Pro with a solid state disc and retina display. A few different soundcards, currently using the very retro looking Akai Eie Pro. A few different preamps, mostly using a TL Audio Indigo series recording strip/preamp. A pair of KRK monitors. A few microphones, the go-to one being a miraculous Neumann UM-57, the East German version of the U47, that pretty much sounds great on everything. Within Logic I use a fair amount of 3rd party plugs for mixing, mostly Waves stuff (latest acquisition was their SSL bundle), but I am also a big fan of Stillwell's things.

There's nothing particularly fancy about my equipment or set-up, but it works for me.

progmatist
01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
*UPDATE*

Traded in the Korg M50 88 for a Krome 88

fictionmusic
01-14-2013, 11:10 AM

a not so recent picture of my gtrs etc. Since then I have gotten a Jazz bass, a Mopho keyboard and a ton of plug-ins I use with a Dell laptop and an M-audio controller.

Rarebird
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM

a not so recent picture of my gtrs etc. Since then I have gotten a Jazz bass, a Mopho keyboard and a ton of plug-ins I use with a Dell laptop and an M-audio controller.

Wow, a Korg MS20?
Alas these where released after I bought my first synthesizer.

fictionmusic
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I used to have an MS-10 and an MS-20 (as well as the 770) but alas that one is just a Legacy series controller for the Korg plug-ins (which are totally cool and a hell of a lot more stable than the old beasts as cool as they are).

trurl
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I still have an MS-10. We'll not me technically, but my co-bandmate.

fictionmusic
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
I worked as a roadie for a local band when I was in high school and I bought tons of their gear and stuff from other bands on the circuit. This was back in the era where a good band could make 1500.00 a night and could work 4 or 5 nights a week. At one point I had two Fender Reverbs, three Korgs, a Crumar, and a Ricky 4001, none of which I have now and all of which I sold for next to nothing (if I sold them at all)

Minkybaba
06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Great thread...lots of gorgeous guitars!

I've been on a bit of a gear-jag lately, so let's see if I can get 'em all!

Recording:
Mac Pro 12 Core with 32 GB RAM
Logic 9 Pro
Live 9
Sibelius 8
8 TB Storage across four drives
ProjectMix I/O
Mackie 626s
Akai APC 40
Neumann, Rode & Shure mics

Hardware rackmounts that made the "cut":
Roland V-Synth XT

AUs:
East/West (complete set)
Spectrasonics (complete)
Arturia V
Komplete 8 Ultimate
Izotope Plugs

(have a bunch more, but use the above primarily - all hardware synths, effects, mixers, etc. now in storage)

Keyboards:
Nord Electro 2/76
Nord C2D (just got - gnarly) & Motion Sound Pro 140
Mellotron 4000d (Markus is shipping tomorrow from Sweden)
Korg Karma

Other MIDI Controllers:
MalletKat Gold (with internal Kurzweil sounds)
C-Thru Axis 64
Akai EWI
Yahama WX7 & 5
Roland V-Drums
Roland HPD

Woodwinds:
Powell C Flute
DeMedici Alto & Bass Flutes
Jupiter C Flute (electric)
Bb Clarinet
Alto Clarinet
Soprano Sax
Sopranino Sax (coming)
Alto Sax
Other ethnic winds, including: pan pipes, penny whistle, shakuhachi, Irish flute, harmonicas. etc.

Misc. Plucked:
Grand Harpsicle electric/acoustic lever hard
Lyre Harp
Lute Harp
8 Course Lute
Indian Banjo
Hammered Dulcimer
Wildwood Dulcimer
Mountain Dulcimer - electric
Five String Banjo
Mandolin
Electric Sitar (Jerry Jones)
Sitar - electric
Kalimba - electric

Guitars:
Les Paul 50s Reissue
Telecaster
Fender Precision Bass
Dean Resonator - acoustic/electric

Percussion:
Musser Vibraphone
LP Congas
Assorted Latin Percussion

Misc:
Moog Big Briar Theremin - signed by Bob :)

Dean Watson
06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, can't beat that list ... but I did just pick up a Yamaha CP-33 stage piano/midi controller - I was using an old Roland A-33. I feel like I'm all grown up now and with the big boys! ( ie: the A-33 feels like a toy compared to the Yamaha )

nosebone
06-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I recently purchased a Collings steel string , and its the best playing/sounding acoustic I've ever owned.

klothos
07-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Some of my basses - several not shown

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/8397/spazzbasses.jpg

trurl
07-11-2013, 12:47 AM
A resonator bass... don't see that every day...

Pekka
12-14-2013, 10:02 AM
My "stereo" rig:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4322198/IMG_4113.JPG

LAB Series L2 and EBS CL112 for effects and distortion (from the amp)
Hiwatt DR103 and EV15" for clean

trurl
12-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Sweet. 2 amps I would trade a nut for ;)

Pekka
12-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Sweet. 2 amps I would trade a nut for ;)

Heh. I was very lucky I got 'em both cheap. The Hiwatt I bought in 1997 for about 450 euros (about 600 dollars), it's difficult to find one under a 1000 nowadays. The LAB L2 I bought two months ago for 100 euros (about 130 dollars). I was about to buy a second amp, originally wanted another Hiwatt (but couldn't afford) and decided to look for an old solid state head like Peavey Mark III or IV (very common and cheap around here, sturdy, powerful and not too clean sounding) or an Acoustic or Sunn Coliseum (rare around here) but then my friend he could sell me The LAB cheaply. I had heard good things about them but it was a surprise how good it really is! It works fine as a bass amp and has a warm tube-y sound and plenty of power for a solid state 100 W amp but the real surprise was how good it sounds when cranking the preamp. No wonder guitar players love those. The Moog engineers did a pretty good job back then.;)

trurl
12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Wow, I don't know you could find an L2 for anything like that here these days.

Pekka
12-14-2013, 01:16 PM
They are not very expensive either but I think the prices are getting higher. The L5 combo is perhaps the most wanted LAB Series amp because of the B.B. King connection. There was also an L4 bass amp (200W).

Black Stratacat
01-16-2014, 04:19 PM

WytchCrypt
01-30-2014, 03:42 PM
I've been a multi-instrumentalist kind of guy for many years and have been writing/recording my own stuff since about 1980 (after playing in local prog bands from '77 to '80). As far as keyboards & synths go, my main board is a Yamaha Motif XF7 and for analog synth sounds I go with a Korg Radias (I know I know, it's really just a digital representation of analog, but it sounds great and the oscillators don't drift). I use the Motif's on board sequencer to do all my composition these days, but the coolest thing about the Motif is I've purchased a set of mellotron samples (strings, choir, flutes, brass) taken directly from a mid 70's M400 with an individual sample for each key so I get that wonderful note-to-note inconsistencies that give the tron it's charm. As far as vocals, I sing through an old Shure SM57 I bought back in '78 (I've never needed to replace it). All the instruments run through a Behringer 16 channel Eurorack mixer (don't they make great stuff at a great price?) and into an old Roland VS-1880 hard disk recorder I've had for about 15 years. I used to have a lot of cool keyboards (Moog Taurus pedals, Cat Octave Synth, SCI Pro One Synth, Hohner Clavinet, Hammond M2, etc) but sold them off as the years went by...

I've included a picture of my stable of guitars below...from L to R: Epiphone Dove steel string acoustic, Ovation 12 string acoustic, Takamine Jasmine classical, my pride and joy 2012 Epiphone Les Paul Custom (which I heavily customized), my 1983 Rick 4001, and a heavily customized Fender Strat. As far as guitar processing, I run through an old Line 6 POD XT Live that I have dialed in just right (though it wasn't easy...I hated all of the factory default patches and scrapped everything starting from scratch).

Well, that's about it...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/5f/9e/ac5f9eb0ee2190942984724a0ad9f62f.jpg

No Pride
01-31-2014, 10:45 AM
As far as guitar processing, I run through an old Line 6 POD XT Live that I have dialed in just right (though it wasn't easy...I hated all of the factory default patches and scrapped everything starting from scratch).
That's been my experience with Line 6's digital modeling stuff. You can get good tones, but it can take a lot of time and effort finding them... and the presets are useless. Starting from scratch is the only way to go with that stuff. I used a Vetta for the better part of a decade; now I'm using a dt25 (digital/tube hybrid) amp with a Pod HD500 for local gigs and a rented Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with my M13 when on tour.

battema
01-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Ummmm...studio has various keys and whatnot. Live rig has a few more (Fantom, Minitaur, MS2000, etc..).

This would be my baby though:

Moog Voyager, and a rack with the Ring Modulator, FreqBox and Chorus/Flange 'Foogers, plus the CP-251 and VX-351. A Pigtronix Disnortion is inserted into the Voyager's signal path after the mixer, and a Pigtronix Echolution runs after everything else. Oh, and a Doepfer R2M ribbon for fun stuff. Usual spaghetti is fairly minimal for this pic ;)

WytchCrypt
01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
That's been my experience with Line 6's digital modeling stuff. You can get good tones, but it can take a lot of time and effort finding them... and the presets are useless. Starting from scratch is the only way to go with that stuff. I used a Vetta for the better part of a decade; now I'm using a dt25 (digital/tube hybrid) amp with a Pod HD500 for local gigs and a rented Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with my M13 when on tour.

Ya, when I 1st got the POD XT Live I was bitterly disappointed with the default patches. Then I signed up for the Line 6 website and d'loaded tons of other patches...but I hated all of them too! Finally, I sat down and got to work...setup an init patch which was just totally clean with zero effects, then I went through all the amp models one-by-one, then the stomp, mod, and delay models till I got a good feel for the individual sounds and what worked well together. It makes me laugh, but I really only use about 8 patches to get everything I want and there's room for what...144 patches? :rofl

dlm
02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Here is my latest addition, a freshly finished first guitar. Working on a fretless bass now.

dgtlman
02-10-2014, 01:57 PM
3362Just some of the stuff...

Sound Chaser
02-23-2014, 05:35 AM
Hi!

Some pictures of my gear...

My main guitars and bass :
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1313/4603554443_264c2e5c34_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4106/5096722397_9e2d4c4188_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/9874108733_7536802d3c_z.jpg

My pedalboard :