PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hackett on Genesis Revisited 2, Squackett, Steven Wilson, GTR and more....

Innerviews
12-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi All,

Innerviews just published an extensive interview with Steve Hackett, focusing on the making of Genesis Revisited II and Squackett.

Some of the topics explored include:

- What's driving his prolific output
- The unique chemistry between him and Squire
- In-depth technical overviews on recording Genesis Revisited II and Squackett
- His motivation for returning to the Genesis material
- Reflections on his Genesis days
- Collaborating with Steven Wilson
- Reconstructing Supper's Ready with multiple vocalists
- Working with Quiet World (his pre-Genesis band)
- Looking back at GTR
- Potential 5.1 remixes of his back catalog

…and much more.

There's even a sidebar with the mighty Dave "Squids" Kerzner in it.

Check it out here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/hackett3.html

(also on the free Innerviews iPhone/iPad here: http://www.itunes.com/apps/innerviews)

Cheers,
Anil

AncientChord
12-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Nice insights from Hackett, Roger King, Ben Fenner and Dave "Squids" Kerzner. This just keeps this fan boy's adrenaline rushing in anticipation for the upcoming La Mirada show. I CAN'T TAKE THE WAIT! :drool

Innerviews
12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice insights from Hackett, Roger King, Ben Fenner and Dave "Squids" Kerzner. This just keeps this fan boy's adrenaline rushing in anticipation for the upcoming La Mirada show. I CAN'T TAKE THE WAIT! :drool

More US dates coming soon!

N_Singh
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
As always, a very forthright and honorable musician. His thoughts on modeling amps are interesting. Hell, he even used the built-in Logic Pro plug-ins, which seems weird to me--why would a musician of his stature go the "pro-sumer" route? :) I've given thought to getting a POD-HD, but all my guitars are one trick jazzbox ponies that don't need the 5 billion effects. Nonetheless, very interesting.
Like the way he talked about being his own boss, now, in collaboration with his other half (the real "real boss" :) )

N_Singh
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I also dig this remark about S. Wilson and an attempt at defining the dreaded "prog" :) : "Steven is very keen on early sounds and classic gear, but at the same time, he’s the guy doing 5.1 mixes of everyone’s back catalog. He’s both high tech and retro. He’s passionate about what we now call progressive music, but we never called it that in its day. I think if we had known we were making progressive music, we would have stopped straightaway. [laughs] It has all been lumped into that category—everything from Pink Floyd to ELP. I can’t think of two bands that were less alike. There is a danger with progressive music in that it can end up becoming too much about punctuation and not enough statement.
To return to Steven, he has a handle on things these days. He’s passionate about progressive music and his solo stuff is very interesting and dynamic. He seems to view tonality very well. His music seems to be either very quiet or very raucous, and he’s definitely into the darker stuff. He also recommended Mikael Åkerfeldt to me, and that’s why he’s on the album."

Progatron
12-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Excellent interview, thanks! I really enjoyed it.

Scott Bails
12-07-2012, 08:00 PM
As always, a fantastic interview, Anil. Thanks for sharing. :up

progman1975
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
How is the Quiet World rekkid?????

arj
12-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Roger King on the making of Squackett’s Life Within a Day:

Q - Tell me something about the making of Squackett no-one else knows.

A - Chris has the loudest singing voice ever.

I did not know that - thanks for the interview.

Innerviews
12-08-2012, 03:30 AM
How is the Quiet World rekkid?????

Not quite Genesis. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opZJJbZy0EQ

Brian Griffin
12-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Great read, as always

Thanks for posting this

BG

jupiter0rjapan
12-08-2012, 09:48 AM
great interview!
As far as the logic amp sims go, why not use them. I don't even have Logic, I use the amps in Garage Band and they sound amazing. The Orange Amp clone hits the nail right on the head! As does the Marshall.

Toothyspook
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Yet another incredible interview.

ajcmixer
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Way way way deep interview. Quite excellent. You can tell how passionate SH is about his craft. Can't wait to see/hear him next year, will gladly fork over my monies to him.

Peace,
Alex

jkleban
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I am reallly happy for our friend Dave K (Squids) for getting a specific shoutout and mini writeup on his career. Steve H is really a super good guy.

Jim

Innerviews
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM
I am reallly happy for our friend Dave K (Squids) for getting a specific shoutout and mini writeup on his career. Steve H is really a super good guy.

Jim

There's more... a major 2-hour interview with Squids is forthcoming.

ravingandrooling
12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
More US dates coming soon!

Anyone heard any more about dates?

Scott Bails
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Nice! :up

Squids
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM

What a chatty bastard that Squids! Haha.

Great stuff Anil. You do the best interviews. It's because you're deeply into the music and dig up details and backstory people want to know. You go beyond the boiler plate questions. For instance, if you hadn't asked no one would ever know that NDV wears pink polkadot boxers! But it's true. (no it's not... don't listen to me)

Innerviews
12-16-2012, 12:31 AM

Being negotiated. Watch hackettsongs.com or sign up for his newsletter.

Progatron
12-16-2012, 12:33 AM
if you hadn't asked no one would ever know that NDV wears pink polkadot boxers!

I KNEW IT.

Innerviews
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Philly just got announced.

Soc Prof
12-16-2012, 11:09 PM
It's interesting that he uses the Sansamp GT2 as a distortion pedal. It's supposed to be an amp simulator. But I can't argue with the tones he gets.

80s were ok
12-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Philly just got announced.

do you mean the Keswick theater in Glenside? That's been announced for about a week or more.